Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

Pitts is a great receiver. He does not get separation like Smith. Very few do. Jefferson is similar to Smith In separation, so is DeVante Adams.

Pitts is similar to Kelce, which is great. We have Gesicki though. Pitts puts Gesicki on the bench.
No it does not. Gman and Pitts on 2 TE sets would open up the outside. Also considering Tua is very accurate, it helps him and the Oline as well.

Ever since I paid attention to D. Smith and specially his performance against the Buckeyes in the national championship I have penned him as my first receiver. A player that can consistently perform and specially step up during key games that is nationally televised is impressive for me. Smith is my first pick the rest are under him. At the end of the day I do trust Flores/Grier's decisions on this subject.

The possibility that I would find that most amusing is if we pass on both of these, and take Sewell... because I am starting to think that he'll be there.

Lawrence is a gimme.
Wilson is likely. If the Jets were going to trade out, they would have traded with Frisco.
SF, I think, will take Jones or Lance.
At this point, I think Carolina jumps up to take a better Bridgewater... Fields.
I think the Bengals will take Chase and wait on Oline (in a REALLY deep OL draft) in the second.

Then... it's Pitts, Sewell, Waddle... or (sigh) Smith.

Sewell would be the pick that would cause the most psychotic breakdowns on Finheaven.
If Cincinnati can find OL help for Burrow later, why would we pass up a playmaker for OL help at six? Don't get that thinking. Sewell drops. Too many quality playmakers in this one. I think the Patriots get the Bengals pick, just my hunch, and they aren't doing it for a receiver or O line help. We get the best non-quarterback playmaker in the draft. And we will be happy with the pick.

If you are on the clock with only Smith and Pitts on the board who do you take?

I'm taking the best player in the draft. But that's just me.

I don't know about the dolphins. Probably draft another tackle so they can trade him for another haul. So they can draft another tackle and keep repeating the process while mayor Grier's genius tag grows large enough to finally hoist that coveted Executive of the Year Award he's after.

Last edited:
If Cincinnati can find OL help for Burrow later, why would we pass up a playmaker for OL help at six? Don't get that thinking. Sewell drops. Too many quality playmakers in this one. I think the Patriots get the Bengals pick, just my hunch, and they aren't doing it for a receiver or O line help. We get the best non-quarterback playmaker in the draft. And we will be happy with the pick.
Yes, that is one option.

You mean the same Waller whos claim to fame came when the opposing team saw him practicing before a game as a SCOUT player? That Waller?

Same dude. Came out of the triple option/wasn't used to NFL potential at Georgia Tech.
Did drugs from high school through college. Then in Baltimore he did xanax, oxy, coke, MJ, etc anything.

Really turned his life around and props to the Raiders for taking a flier on him after he rededicated his life to staying clean

this was a great trade. Got picks, paying less for top talent and there will be top WR talent fall to miami at no 6 one way or the other. top 3 picks will be qb and feel falcons will pick qb or they trade down and team that goes up will get the qb. I just see bengals will sewell or slater which leaves pitts for miami and even if bengals get pitts. We can get Chase, smith, waddle, all talented dynamic WRs that can greatly help miami. I hope for pitts but would be happy with the others as well.
Oh I know it was a great trade. In fact I'd trade back from 6th if someone gets the jitters for a QB once the run is on and wants to move up. There most likely will be 3 QBs taken before the 6th pick and maybe 4 which is something people overlook in this move from 3rd to 6th.

I’m worried that Atlanta or Cincinnati is going to take Pitts. A lot of people seem to think Cincinnati is going to be taking Chase because of the history between him and Burrow. I don’t necessarily believe that, I’m hoping we get Pitts!!!
Cincy almost certainly takes Sewell or Chase. Makes too much sense.

Pitts is a great receiver. He does not get separation like Smith. Very few do. Jefferson is similar to Smith In separation, so is DeVante Adams.

Pitts is similar to Kelce, which is great. We have Gesicki though. Pitts puts Gesicki on the bench.
No Pitts doesn’t put Gesicki in the bench... you play them both .... Kyle Crabs in Locked on Dolphins broke this down a week or two ago- you should give it a listen

Cincy almost certainly takes Sewell or Chase. Makes too much sense.
While I do generally scoff at PFFs ratings, they claim there are 13 Tackles with a day one or day 2 grade in this draft... but the Burrow to Chase combo is unique.

Most early drafts didn't forecast this eventuality because a lot of them had Chase going to us @3, and none of them had 4 QBs going early... I think this is new, and I think it happens.

I'm sure our brother @Gatorboy999120 has a resolute opinion on this one. While I have reservations about taking Pitts, I see him as an almost can't-miss prospect. Smith may have more upside, but he also has more questions.

Career355987514.810
YearTeamClassGRecYdsAvgTD
Travis KelceReceiving
2009CincinnatiFR11133.00
2010CincinnatiSOSuspended
2011CincinnatiJR111315011.52
2012CincinnatiSR134572216.08

If you could redraft the 2013 draft, would you say the same about Kelce?? The reason you take Pitts (and I love LOVE Smith) is because there is only one Pitts in this draft or any draft since Vernon Davis. Smith is special but a case could be made that Waddle or Bateman, maybe even Moore is nearly as good, (not Chase, we are not taking him and that is a good thing. Bust written all over him). Personally I would take Sewell if he was still there and Pitts if Sewell is gone.

Career[10]241001,49214.918
RecYdsAvgTD
YearTeamGPReceiving
2018Florida337324.31
2019Florida135464912.05
2020Florida84377017.912

The possibility that I would find that most amusing is if we pass on both of these, and take Sewell... because I am starting to think that he'll be there.

Lawrence is a gimme.
Wilson is likely. If the Jets were going to trade out, they would have traded with Frisco.
SF, I think, will take Jones or Lance.
At this point, I think Carolina jumps up to take a better Bridgewater... Fields.
I think the Bengals will take Chase and wait on Oline (in a REALLY deep OL draft) in the second.

Then... it's Pitts, Sewell, Waddle... or (sigh) Smith.

Sewell would be the pick that would cause the most psychotic breakdowns on Finheaven.
I wouldn’t be upset at all if they drafted Sewell. They presently have a below average offensive line and drafting the best offensive lineman in the draft is not something to be upset about.

They would also still have 3 picks in the next 44 picks to draft skill position players for the offense.

Back
Top Bottom