Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

In all seriousness aren't you a ted bit concerned about his size and how it translates at the next level?

The last lanky reciever the Dolphins had with that kinda frame was UM's Lamar Thomas
I'm not b/c I watch film. And reality is that he's a great player. It doesn't matter if first round CBs try to press him. He generally beats them. This is a quote from PFF's draft guide:

It's difficult to find on-field cons for Smith. His weight will be brought up again and again over the
course of the spring, but that's it. That's his con. Not his routes, his ball skills, his releases, his body
control or his speed. When that's your only concern — and it hasn't even come to light as an issue on
a college football field — then there's not much to be worried about. Smith is a versatile gamebreaker
who just wins. That's a fit for any scheme in the NFL.

Everybody who keeps bringing up his weight is basing it on a hypothetical that nobody in the draft can overcome. Basically, that he hasn't done it against NFL players. Duh! No draft prospect has. But Smith has already answered it as good as any prospect can. He's done it against other 1st round prospects. They tried to press him and tried to push him around b/c he looks like you could. But they couldn't. Anybody who keeps saying his weight will be a problem is ignoring or hasn't looked at the film.

Smith, btw, was historically great against press coverage. In fact, he was better against press coverage than Chase! He also basically matched Chase on contested catches. They were both excellent. One of the few who was better at contested catches was Pitts. Reality is that both of these players are great prospects. It's ridiculous for anyone to claim that either would be a bad pick.

They are both great playmakers, I'd be happy with either. But to answer your question I think we could get more our of Pitts talents than we could Smith. Pitts isn't just a TE, he can line up Tight, Wide, and in the Slot. College production is an important evaluation tool, no doubt... but it doesn't guarantee success in the NFL. Pat White was a good example of that.

I think there's a greater chance that Pitts is a huge success than I do Smith and we can use Pitts in many more ways than we could Smith or Chase.

Comparing the stats of two players in different positions, for different programs is very much appeal to oranges. It’s not where the debate should begin or end.
The draft is all about who the better prospect will be.
there are very few red flags on Pitts while for Smith his weight and frame are a big concern. You don’t often see 160 pound WRs dominating the league.
Plus there are other good wrs too and some pretty good in round 2. As well as wrs next year in first rd will most likely be as good as chase and smith. Wheras, you don't see kyle pitts Tightends show up too often. So you get the more rare talent imo, because you can always get a devonta smith the next year or maybe not as good but pretty good WRs that could be picked in rd two. We also got Will fuller for a year also and he's pretty good and has speed. I know we have gesicki, but two tight ends are more common and can make an offense really tough to defend if they both are good pass catches and pitts is another level.

Smith has outperformed him every year!
I think Smith or Waddle will end up being the pick. I know the pro Pitts crowd would be extremely upset if Pitts was there at 6 and they select a WR instead of him but I just think the Dolphins will select Smith or Waddle with that pick. The only other player they might take at 6 is Sewell if the Bengals don’t draft him.

I won’t be upset if they draft Pitts but I just think they are leaning more toward WR at 6 than TE.

Hopefully Smith and Pitts get drafted before the 6th pick so we can all say what an ******* Grier is for giving up a chance at elite talent with a dumb trade to ensure more elite talent down the line.
this was a great trade. Got picks, paying less for top talent and there will be top WR talent fall to miami at no 6 one way or the other. top 3 picks will be qb and feel falcons will pick qb or they trade down and team that goes up will get the qb. I just see bengals will sewell or slater which leaves pitts for miami and even if bengals get pitts. We can get Chase, smith, waddle, all talented dynamic WRs that can greatly help miami. I hope for pitts but would be happy with the others as well.

You are comparing two elite players at their positions in college. Both are good at what they do, but that will have no affect on what they are as pros.

The question here is which one will translate to the NFL. For my money, that is Pitts based on his metrics and size. He is as fast and has better hands than Smith IMO. He is much taller and heavier.

That doesn’t mean smith can’t be a good pro, just that I would bet my money on a guy like Pitts being more likely to translate.

They are comparing Pitts to the best to ever play the position in the history of the NFL, and a few wide receivers too. Who are they comparing Smith to? Chase?

I am a Georgia Bulldog fan.
Ahh that would explain why you do not understand WR rankings! Ha ha brother and only kidding. The Dawgs are one of my teams and their play calling kills me! 1st and 10, I gut. 2nd and 7, I gut. 3rd and 8, I GUT! I actually clap when they run off tackle and sweeps.

What a shocker. Bama guy defending Smith - Gator guy defending Pitts.

That's either somebody with an IAD disorder or another troll.

I've never said I was convinced Smitty is a better prospect than Pitts. Per usual, I said Pitts was the best player in the draft before anybody did.

It's this kid's turn to put up some money on Smitty being a bust. He keeps repeating it. All he has to do is back it up with some of that crisp south Florida cash.

Ol' Pachy needs a new Bama hat.

The possibility that I would find that most amusing is if we pass on both of these, and take Sewell... because I am starting to think that he'll be there.

Lawrence is a gimme.
Wilson is likely. If the Jets were going to trade out, they would have traded with Frisco.
SF, I think, will take Jones or Lance.
At this point, I think Carolina jumps up to take a better Bridgewater... Fields.
I think the Bengals will take Chase and wait on Oline (in a REALLY deep OL draft) in the second.

Then... it's Pitts, Sewell, Waddle... or (sigh) Smith.

Sewell would be the pick that would cause the most psychotic breakdowns on Finheaven.

Yea, the NFL comparable is Darren Waller without the earlier alcohol/drug issue.

You mean the same Waller whos claim to fame came when the opposing team saw him practicing before a game as a SCOUT player? That Waller?

Pitts is a great receiver. He does not get separation like Smith. Very few do. Jefferson is similar to Smith In separation, so is DeVante Adams.

Pitts is similar to Kelce, which is great. We have Gesicki though. Pitts puts Gesicki on the bench.

That's either somebody with an IAD disorder or another troll.

I've never said I was convinced Smitty is a better prospect than Pitts. Per usual, I said Pitts was the best player in the draft before anybody did.

It's this kid's turn to put up some money on Smitty being a bust. He keeps repeating it. All he has to do is back it up with some of that crisp south Florida cash.

Ol' Pachy needs a new Bama hat.
If you are on the clock with only Smith and Pitts on the board who do you take?

Back
Top Bottom