Why Would You "go Get" One Of These Guys? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Would You "go Get" One Of These Guys?

mwestberry

Club Member
Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-bold-round-1-predictions-for-2019-nfl-draft

Lock is a four-year starter in the SEC; Haskins is a one-year starter in the Big 10, which hasn't exactly produced great NFL QB talent in recent years. That's going to register to teams, especially traditionalist GMs who like to see the ebbs, flow, and developmental arc of a college quarterback.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/drew-lock

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/dwayne-haskins

I get it... at some point you HAVE to go get your guy... but

would sell the farm for either of these "projects"?
what EXACTLY is it worth to you to get one of these guys?

****Assuming, OF COURSE, that Murray is NOT available for whatever reason****

This site has Murray ranked as the 27th best player in the draft with the other 2 falling to 50 and 54....

Right or wrong with the rankings, it looks like neither QB is really worth a top 10 pick out of the gate...with nearly EVERY position represented at a higher draft projection ( ok so your team is all set at S or LB)….

Do you sell out and (probably multiple high draft picks) bypass projected talent???
***SELL OUT...give whatever it takes to get a QB)*** … A trade at the right price may still be steep

Do you draft talent and build your team???

What say you?

I know there are some of you that have "stopped reading" as soon as they saw the site or some trigger word that has turned them off... But if you have the time or want to... please educate me because I would not give up anything for ANY of these QB's (including Murray) given the current state of our team

Got to identify your ‘guy’ and go get him, depending how much a conviction you have, in reference to giving up assets.

This is where we are so, we’re picking one this year or next or maybe both, no matter perceived limitations etx.

I’m a big advocate of adding talent through the draft...as early as possible. It’s a long term growth strategy, takes time to develop, but it costs people their jobs because so much is winning. It looks like Ross is behind this so the latter shouldn’t happen for a few years.

The thing I don’t like about what I’m seeing so far is they’re adding picks, but they’re late and don’t typically stick. I’m hopeful of two things. 1, that they packs these late picks to move into day 2. And 2, that they trade back from 1.13 and get a later 1st and 2020 1st. History shows this is appropriate value; some have gained a 3rd, 4th or 5th too.

This team needs a high dose of high end talent and. To get that, they need BPA in the 20’s if they find a trade partner and more picks in the first 4 rounds. Players who can start year 1 or 2 and be key foundational pieces.

With that said, these QBs are not the answer. Value is key. Getting Murray or Haskins at the end of the 1st is good value. Not top 10 though. Jeffery Simmons in the 20’s is great value.

To be honest...the SEC has been pretty bad with QBs as well...that will change over the next few years, but they have been notorious for less than ideal QB play.

If you think a QB is your franchise you go get him period. QBs are valued over any position. As for Murray, he has elite QB potential. That is worth a top 10 pick every draft

The reason these guys are rated high is the same reason people want to move up. The QB is a very important piece of the puzzle and finding a good one is extremely difficult.
This team really needs to build both lines and unless the QB is a special talent, I don't want to sacrifice my ability to lay the foundation. Murray is special and I would trade up for him, depending on the price. Otherwise I am doubling up on OL and DE.
I might grab Haskins if he's there at 13 but not really interested in Lock either way. Hopefully, someone else would want to move up for Lock if he's there.

The reason these guys are rated high is the same reason people want to move up. The QB is a very important piece of the puzzle and finding a good one is extremely difficult.
This team really needs to build both lines and unless the QB is a special talent, I don't want to sacrifice my ability to lay the foundation. Murray is special and I would trade up for him, depending on the price. Otherwise I am doubling up on OL and DE.
I might grab Haskins if he's there at 13 but not really interested in Lock either way. Hopefully, someone else would want to move up for Lock if he's there.

Love the Post - don’t want Haskins in the first tho

If you think a QB is your franchise you go get him period. QBs are valued over any position. As for Murray, he has elite QB potential. That is worth a top 10 pick every draft

Yeah... That's your move and I respect it but it's not for me...I would if the price fits but I wouldn't "sell the farm"... I would wait for the price is right (because of the state of our team overall) and in the meantime I add (projected) talent that helps my team long term

I guess it's because I have seen what a decent QB becomes without a strong team around him and a strong coaching staff supporting him... I believe you are "putting the cart before the horse" if you grab a guy just because you need one and throw him into an abyss of no talent, poor coaching and when that dust settles you find you have no draft picks because you traded them away and soon you have cap issues because you are so busy in free agency trying to justify your pick by over paying veterans to come in and make up the void..... ( that whole buying talent thing hasn't really worked out for our team)

And I have seen what a decent QB can do with a strong team around him and a strong coaching staff with a solid and proven system in place... If it's me I take the team and coaching staff over the project QB (unless the price is right for my team at the time)

If Miami is running the same offensive system as New England , there is no better QB in the next two drafts to run THAT system than Haskins. IMHO

So if that’s the situation and that’s how Grier feels they should make the move.

If Miami is running the same offensive system as New England , there is no better QB in the next two drafts to run THAT system than Haskins. IMHO

So if that’s the situation and that’s how Grier feels they should make the move.

I agree... if the coaching staff thinks he is the guy

At what point in the draft do you pull that trigger?

What is your opinion of the price we would pay?

I read that Tannenbaum said that Murray is the third best quarterback in the draft. Based on that, I say do whatever we need to do to go get him because he'll be the best one in the draft

Here's the problem with moving up. It can cost a lot and if a QB is all you need then fine, use the picks to move up but with our team and all the needs it's hard to give up a lot for a QB that will get no help because we gave up the picks we'd need to get him the help he needs.
Say we want to move up to #4 to get Haskins. It'd probably cost our first, 2nd and 4th this year plus a 4th and 5th next year as well. When you give up that much it takes away the chance to build the O-line that we need and when it comes to Haskins he will get sacked as much as Tannehill did if our O-line is bad.

For all the people that were so freaking happy that we "beat" NE last year, all that did was drop us from drafting 8 to drafting 13. It'd not take so much to move up 3 or 4 spots and it would now and NE still won the super bowl so that "win"meant nothing good for us last year or for our future.

I agree... if the coaching staff thinks he is the guy

At what point in the draft do you pull that trigger?

What is your opinion of the price we would pay?

That’s a tough call. The team has so many needs and I hate the idea of giving up next year’s first. I guess I’m forced to wait and see if Haskins gets by the Giants.

None of these qbs are the prospect Luck is but to say they're barely the 50th best prospects is absolutely laughable.

Im not familiar with either. Can you explain?

Back
Top Bottom