Why Would You "go Get" One Of These Guys? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Would You "go Get" One Of These Guys?

They are consistent, efficient, have a big arm, have a quick gun, and high attempts, carry the team, and are prototypical size. They have everything we want in a #1 overall quarterback. A QB deserving of a 4-year championship window.

When you consider the number of QB prospects

coming out every year and the few that become

"franchise" (or thereabouts) NFL grade the swing

and miss % must be like 98.375%!

Danny, I hear you brother but that victory over NE and the way we did it was the coolest thing the Dolphins have done in years. I'm still smiling over Gronk's attempt to tackle Drake as he sailed into the end zone! I jumped up and down like a 10 year old, it was thrilling but you're 100% correct, it only hurt out draft position.

Neither, especially on Day One. Neither Haskins nor Locke grades out anywhere near a Manning, Luck, etc.

I'm all for selling the farm if you're getting a Manning or Luck type QB.

Build the lines then go get your QB of the future.

Here's the problem with moving up. It can cost a lot and if a QB is all you need then fine, use the picks to move up but with our team and all the needs it's hard to give up a lot for a QB that will get no help because we gave up the picks we'd need to get him the help he needs.
Say we want to move up to #4 to get Haskins. It'd probably cost our first, 2nd and 4th this year plus a 4th and 5th next year as well. When you give up that much it takes away the chance to build the O-line that we need and when it comes to Haskins he will get sacked as much as Tannehill did if our O-line is bad.

For all the people that were so freaking happy that we "beat" NE last year, all that did was drop us from drafting 8 to drafting 13. It'd not take so much to move up 3 or 4 spots and it would now and NE still won the super bowl so that "win"meant nothing good for us last year or for our future.
For the most part, I agree with your post.

Where I disagree is that a win over NE is never meaningless. I never want to lose to any team in the AFCE and winning in the fashion they did pissed off friends of mine that are Pats fans. Nothing better than coming into work on a Monday and watching them eat crow.

For the most part, I agree with your post.

Where I disagree is that a win over NE is never meaningless. I never want to lose to any team in the AFCE and winning in the fashion they did pissed off friends of mine that are Pats fans. Nothing better than coming into work on a Monday and watching them eat crow.
Well, when it comes to that sure. It's always nice but as far as helping our team be better, that win did nothing to make us better and in fact it might hurt us from getting better.

If Lock were to fall to 13 I’d be tempted to take him. He has the arm, the confidence, and makes some improv type plus that are highly entertaining. He has his weaknesses but so do all these QBs and whenever you draft a guy even the so-called top guy there is risks. With that being said I wouldn’t trade up for any player in this years draft, because to make any kind of major move it would cost us our #1 next year (which will most likely be a high pick in a strong draft), or a boatload of mid round picks which we need to build/fill out a legit roster of NFL players because we have a ton of holes. I really like Jerry Jeudy next year, and if we could pair Lock with Jeudy that could be dynamic. JJ is a big reason why Tua has amazing passing stats he consistently gets WIDE open and creates big plays and easy reads for Tua.

I don't think very many people at all have a clue when it comes to evaluating QB's. Some teams appear to know what their doing but if you look at how things unfolded.

NE was the luckiest team in the history of the NFL to get Tom Brady in the 6th round.

GB was also pretty lucky to get Rodgers after everyone had passed. You could say the same about Miami and Dan Marino. Doesn't take too much balls to take a shot on a QB at the end of round 1.

I see a couple evaluators say that Josh Rosen would be QB1 in this draft but yet here are the cardinals ready to trade him for a guy many have rated lower.

You trade up for a QB and he balls out, your a genius....and mostly by luck.

Now we keep hearing Miami loves Justin Herbert. I don't see the big deal. Especially when compared to Drew Lock. Look at the numbers.

It's a crap shoot with the winner looking like he knows what he's doing. Some things you just cannot measure.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-bold-round-1-predictions-for-2019-nfl-draft

Lock is a four-year starter in the SEC; Haskins is a one-year starter in the Big 10, which hasn't exactly produced great NFL QB talent in recent years. That's going to register to teams, especially traditionalist GMs who like to see the ebbs, flow, and developmental arc of a college quarterback.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/drew-lock

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/dwayne-haskins

I get it... at some point you HAVE to go get your guy... but

would sell the farm for either of these "projects"?
what EXACTLY is it worth to you to get one of these guys?

****Assuming, OF COURSE, that Murray is NOT available for whatever reason****

This site has Murray ranked as the 27th best player in the draft with the other 2 falling to 50 and 54....

Right or wrong with the rankings, it looks like neither QB is really worth a top 10 pick out of the gate...with nearly EVERY position represented at a higher draft projection ( ok so your team is all set at S or LB)….

Do you sell out and (probably multiple high draft picks) bypass projected talent???
***SELL OUT...give whatever it takes to get a QB)*** … A trade at the right price may still be steep

Do you draft talent and build your team???

What say you?

I know there are some of you that have "stopped reading" as soon as they saw the site or some trigger word that has turned them off... But if you have the time or want to... please educate me because I would not give up anything for ANY of these QB's (including Murray) given the current state of our team
Hmmm, why would you "go get" one of these guys ….

A. You're high.
B. You want to destroy the next decade of Dolphins football either through mortgaging the future draft picks (Murray) or replacing one QB with a more mediocre QB.
C. You're absolutely desperate because you're not going to live more than 1 more year.
D. You believe the media hype.
E. You wouldn't.

I chose E.

If Miami is running the same offensive system as New England , there is no better QB in the next two drafts to run THAT system than Haskins. IMHO

So if that’s the situation and that’s how Grier feels they should make the move.
I disagree. Jake Fromm is better than Haskins at that right now, and Tua is as well. The jury is still out on Justin Herbert, but he has a chance also.

No.

Neither one of these QBs is expected to be as good as the three next year. It would be like reaching for the 4th best QB and giving up young starters to do it.

I understand the thinking here, but I couldn’t disagree with the philosophy more. The problem with waiting for the perfect QB class is that there is no way to guarantee you can get what you want. None of those QB’s may be within reach next year. There is no guarantee your favorite declares. Injuries or scandal could ruin their careers. They could show dramatic decline this season. The list of variables is way too long to bank on holding out for another year IF you have a guy that you believe in and is attainable this year.

I’m not saying to take a dramatic reach for a QB this year, but to say not to draft a guy the team believes in this year because the media says next year’s class is “stronger” is IMO a mistake. If you really believe in holding out, then Pass on this year and next year to get Trevor Lawrence.

While I understand and agree with most of what you say here... I want to press one point. If the front office believes that Lock and Haskins are lesser candidates that the guys from next year, then you've got to wait.
Roll the dice.
Build the line that will protect your most important asset. Possibly look into obtaining (with all that cap space) a star WR so he'll have a dependable target.
Do everything possible to let the new guy succeed.
Taking Lock or Haskins... only to bypass the opportunity to give them weapons... seems like putting the cart in front of the horse to me.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-bold-round-1-predictions-for-2019-nfl-draft

Lock is a four-year starter in the SEC; Haskins is a one-year starter in the Big 10, which hasn't exactly produced great NFL QB talent in recent years. That's going to register to teams, especially traditionalist GMs who like to see the ebbs, flow, and developmental arc of a college quarterback.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/drew-lock

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/dwayne-haskins

I get it... at some point you HAVE to go get your guy... but

would sell the farm for either of these "projects"?
what EXACTLY is it worth to you to get one of these guys?

****Assuming, OF COURSE, that Murray is NOT available for whatever reason****

This site has Murray ranked as the 27th best player in the draft with the other 2 falling to 50 and 54....

Right or wrong with the rankings, it looks like neither QB is really worth a top 10 pick out of the gate...with nearly EVERY position represented at a higher draft projection ( ok so your team is all set at S or LB)….

Do you sell out and (probably multiple high draft picks) bypass projected talent???
***SELL OUT...give whatever it takes to get a QB)*** … A trade at the right price may still be steep

Do you draft talent and build your team???

What say you?

I know there are some of you that have "stopped reading" as soon as they saw the site or some trigger word that has turned them off... But if you have the time or want to... please educate me because I would not give up anything for ANY of these QB's (including Murray) given the current state of our team

QB is priority number one... you get your QB when you can... you don’t pass... see Dolphins passing on Brees, Rodgers and Ryan....if you get the QB, you can build around it in today’s in NFL... without it... you have nothing!

QB is priority number one... you get your QB when you can... you don’t pass... see Dolphins passing on Brees, Rodgers and Ryan....if you get the QB, you can build around it in today’s in NFL... without it... you have nothing!

The Colts had the same exact thinking and it almost cost them their QB. Early successes blinded them to the inadequacies of their oline. Luck and Tannehill had that in common with sack numbers.

Well the Colts finally wised up and decided to spend a high first on a corn fed stud. Luck and that team are beneficiaries of finally doing something to protect their franchise QB.

Outside of Murray, I do nothing in the first 2 rounds at QB. Give me DLINE and OLINE and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom