Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

DeVante Parker has yet to live up to his draft slot. (Allen Eyestone/The Post)

As the Dolphins once again are hoping this year will be the year for Parker, it’s worth pointing out that as they attempted to upgrade their receiving corps in 2015, having just parted with Mike Wallace, they actually did about as well as they could in the draft.
Six receivers were taken in the first round that year. Amari Cooper clearly was the best of them — he has been to two Pro Bowls, has 2,903 yards and 18 TDs — but he was snatched by the Raiders with the fourth overall pick.

Parker has been the best of the rest. Consider:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ceivers-be-a-jolt-for-devante-parkers-career/

DeVante Parker has yet to live up to his draft slot. (Allen Eyestone/The Post)

As the Dolphins once again are hoping this year will be the year for Parker, it’s worth pointing out that as they attempted to upgrade their receiving corps in 2015, having just parted with Mike Wallace, they actually did about as well as they could in the draft.
Six receivers were taken in the first round that year. Amari Cooper clearly was the best of them — he has been to two Pro Bowls, has 2,903 yards and 18 TDs — but he was snatched by the Raiders with the fourth overall pick.

Parker has been the best of the rest. Consider:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ceivers-be-a-jolt-for-devante-parkers-career/

I'm pessimistic. He seems to be one of those guys with amazing physical skills, but the desire is missing. Not giving up on him though. Wouldn't be the only late-bloomer the NFL has seen.

I'm pessimistic. He seems to be one of those guys with amazing physical skills, but the desire is missing. Not giving up on him though. Wouldn't be the only late-bloomer the NFL has seen.
Same here. All the talent in the world won't help you if you don't want to be the best. This is not college.

At this point im not betting on him but im also not betting against him.

Some guys don't pan out becuase there given abilities just weren't up to par for NFL standards. Not the case with DVP. I've seen plenty of production out of lesser talents.

I might not have wanted to keep Landry around but i would put his heart/desire into DVPs body and not think twice about it.

I'm not massively optimistic. I really wanted this guy coming out of college too. All that stuff though about how his preparation has been different this year (not from him obviously, that was a bizarre comment about doing stuff that's always worked) is the exact same stuff we heard last year. Makes two guys on the roster who has massively underachieved relative to their talents, in himself and Phillips. So the light has to come on for at least one of them. I'd rather it were Parker, but I'm just not optimistic as I said.

It's interesting; I was listening to Joe Rose earlier this week, and Mark Duper mentioned something about OTAs this year. Either he or Nat Moore made the observation that the WR practices were *different* this year. "Everyone is working," he said.

Maybe there's something to this culture change thing. Here's hoping for the best.

My only hope is that he listens to someone like Amendola that has "been there, done that" and learns how to be an impact player. He has always lacked the IT FACTOR and seems to lack the drive. Hopefully RT, the WR's and the RB's are doing some work together to build the camaraderie so they can start training camp with some kind of chemistry to build from.

Like dirkey said, I'm not overly optimistic. But I want to be, I want him to prove everyone wrong and become the elite receiver he COULD be.

I think that not forcing the ball to Landry will help open up the offense. Also, the return of RT, hopefully solid pass protection, and a TE that WILL demand attention. Parker has displayed some solid skills at points in his career, he needs to take advantage of them / put it all together, and just turn in a 1k season with ~8 TDs and I will be happy. I think its possibly, but who knows who most of the catches go to, I think we will be spreading the ball around ALOT. If I had to guess, Parker and Stills will get most of the targets, followed by the slot position / te position, and then the rb's up there as well

Parker and Harris are the kinds of first round draft picks that you are ten times better off trading out of that slot rather than drafting them. There were second round and later round players with much more upside than either of them -- that IF you are going to take three years developing, you could have signed to a four year contract, developed them for two years, and had two plus years return at a ceiling way higher than your first round quasi-deadweights.

Anytime you draft first round and take three years to develop talent on a three year contract, getting minimal return during those three years, and then once they slightly play decent, it's time for them (3 years later) to sign a contract that's above what they ever earned as a Dolphin. You continually overpay for underplay: either you break the bank for marginal playmakers or you become a farm team for the rest of the league, continually wasting roster spots on players that are built in to give lesser returns than value given -- both in draft picks and money.

This happens to lesser degree to overdrafted players down the board... such as spending three draft picks for a marginal WR like Carroo that no one was high on, other than Tannenbaum. Now, to justify that pick, you have to keep him on the roster for three years -- with zero contributions and a Cro-Magnon grasp of the playbook, and a talent, skill ceiling that could cramp a midget.

Good teams figure this out.

But those who are hoping (again) for a breakout season from Parker will probably be disappointed twice: once, when his breakout is less than a legit 1 WR, and twice, when the team has to overpay to keep him, or watch him go to another team and play slightly higher than he did as a Phin, simply because Miami took three long years to develop him without ever having a 1 WR return on a 1st round draft pick. Wash, rinse, and repeat for Harris -- a first round draft pick that is easily outplayed by a lower-level FA signing, and who is low-ceiling physical upside, with real limitations, etc.

LD
p.s. Just to be clear, I think that Parker is GOOD ENOUGH for a decent year, given the upgrades across the board in Miami's receivers. He's good enough to do enough that Miami needs to win. But will he ever achieve for Miami the promise of a game-breaking first round talent, who forces double teams and raises the play of everyone around him because he can't be shut down and consistently plays high level? Not holding my breath.

Last edited:
This happens to lesser degree to overdrafted players down the board... such as spending three draft picks for a marginal WR like Carroo that no one was high on, other than Tannenbaum. Now, to justify that pick, you have to keep him on the roster for three years -- with zero contributions and a Cro-Magnon grasp of the playbook, and a talent, skill ceiling that could cramp a midget.
Yes, we can thank T-Dumb for that move. He continually makes the team a laughing stock with the deals and decisions he makes. The man is a moron and an idiot.

I don't see us doing anything this year unless he does and I'm not optimistic. If he does, it changes everything

Parker and Harris are the kinds of first round draft picks that you are ten times better off trading out of that slot rather than drafting them. There were second round and later round players with much more upside than either of them -- that IF you are going to take three years developing, you could have signed to a four year contract, developed them for two years, and had two plus years return at a ceiling way higher than your first round quasi-deadweights.

Anytime you draft first round and take three years to develop talent on a three year contract, getting minimal return during those three years, and then once they slightly play decent, it's time for them (3 years later) to sign a contract that's above what they ever earned as a Dolphin. You continually overpay for underplay: either you break the bank for marginal playmakers or you become a farm team for the rest of the league, continually wasting roster spots on players that are built in to give lesser returns than value given -- both in draft picks and money.

Good teams figure this out.

But those who are hoping (again) for a breakout season from Parker will probably be disappointed twice: once, when his breakout is less than a legit 1 WR, and twice, when the team has to overpay to keep him, or watch him go to another team and play slightly higher than he did as a Phin, simply because Miami took three long years to develop him without ever having a 1 WR return on a 1st round draft pick. Wash, rinse, and repeat for Harris -- a first round draft pick that is easily outplayed by a lower-level FA signing, and who is low-ceiling physical upside, with real limitations, etc.

LD
p.s. Just to be clear, I think that Parker is GOOD ENOUGH for a decent year, given the upgrades across the board in Miami's receivers. He's good enough to do enough that Miami needs to win. But will he ever achieve for Miami the promise of a game-breaking first round talent, who forces double teams and raises the play of everyone around him because he can't be shut down and consistently plays high level? Not holding my breath.

I mean in all fairness a ton of WRs are taken in the first round and very few of them pan out as described.

At least Parker has the physical traits to be one of those can't shut down wide receivers. I just don't think his play is physical enough.

Again I'm hopeful he'll trend up this year but I'm not holding my breath either. I am more expecting him to play less than 16 games than I am for him to be a primetime #1 WR on this football team. Definitely an X-Factor though.

Proof?

Back
Top Bottom