Will Ez E Beat Out Wilson For #3 Role? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Ez E Beat Out Wilson For #3 Role?

I don't get the logic there. If we are running 4 wide with a back, there is no in line TE on the field at all. There's no reason MG can't be one of the 4 wide package. In fact, that's a set where there will definitely be a mismatch somewhere.

You say he isn't a complete TE, then you say he should sit, and not be used as a receiver?

You can rightly criticize his blocking skills as below average, but there is no denying he is one of the best pass catching TEs in the NFL.
you want gesicki in route over Wilson or Ez?

you want gesicki in route over Wilson or Ez?
Depends on the matchup/situation. Say what you want, MG is a matchup win against nearly every LB in the league, and most smallish DBs. None of us have any idea where EZ is at as far as being a polished NFL receiver. He certainly has the physical tools, but there's a lot more to being a reliable NFL receiver, IMO.

Depends on the matchup/situation. Say what you want, MG is a matchup win against nearly every LB in the league, and most smallish DBs. None of us have any idea where EZ is at as far as being a polished NFL receiver. He certainly has the physical tools, but there's a lot more to being a reliable NFL receiver, IMO.
As Long as he knows his assignments I donā€™t see your point Mach.. I know for sure a linebacker canā€™t cover Ez, I do t have the same confidence about Mike, heā€™s About as an easy cover as it gets as far as mirroring his movement, which is not precise or sharp in any way

Possible. All it will take is for Wilson to drop a few passes. #3 spot is not set in stone, and #4 even less. I see Bowden, E, and even Sherfield as #4.

I like EZ even Sanders still has a chance

Hill
Waddle
Wilson
Sanu
EZ
LoL Sanu.....

watching arrested development GIF

Someone hasn't been paying attention

I do not believe he will work much out of the slot. But I do think he's a very good option at #4. This team is close to having an embarassment of riches at the WR position...

...which is something I couldn't fathom having said in February.

I don't get the logic there. If we are running 4 wide with a back, there is no in line TE on the field at all. There's no reason MG can't be one of the 4 wide package. In fact, that's a set where there will definitely be a mismatch somewhere.

You say he isn't a complete TE, then you say he should sit, and not be used as a receiver?

You can rightly criticize his blocking skills as below average, but there is no denying he is one of the best pass catching TEs in the NFL.
But if Gesicki is playing a WR spot then I will compare him to the WR he has to beat out. If Gesicki can't improve his blocking he won't take snaps from Smythe, when we want an inline TE in. Me on 3 WR set it is obvious the top 2 (Waddle and Hill). Basically last year Wilson and Gesicki played the same position inside/slot WR.

So the real battle to me is Wilson vs Gesicki in my opinion. Wilson was targeted right away by Miami in FA, I think McDaniel wanted this kid when you look at the analytics. While Gesicki is a more proven player Wilson was far more efficient player last season. The 3 big numbers where Wilson shines over Gesicki. Catch rate Wilson 74% to Gesicki at 65%. Yards after catch per reception Wilson 6.2 to Gesicki 3. Average separation Wilson 3.5 yards to Gesicki at 2.3.

Anyway I think Wilson is the player who will take the mist snaps away from Gesicki. If Gesicki can man up and block like a average TE then he will steal snaps from Smythe.

As Long as he knows his assignments I donā€™t see your point Mach.. I know for sure a linebacker canā€™t cover Ez, I do t have the same confidence about Mike, heā€™s About as an easy cover as it gets as far as mirroring his movement, which is not precise or sharp in any way
I don't believe it's as simple as knowing assignments.

But if Gesicki is playing a WR spot then I will compare him to the WR he has to beat out. If Gesicki can't improve his blocking he won't take snaps from Smythe, when we want an inline TE in. Me on 3 WR set it is obvious the top 2 (Waddle and Hill). Basically last year Wilson and Gesicki played the same position inside/slot WR.

So the real battle to me is Wilson vs Gesicki in my opinion. Wilson was targeted right away by Miami in FA, I think McDaniel wanted this kid when you look at the analytics. While Gesicki is a more proven player Wilson was far more efficient player last season. The 3 big numbers where Wilson shines over Gesicki. Catch rate Wilson 74% to Gesicki at 65%. Yards after catch per reception Wilson 6.2 to Gesicki 3. Average separation Wilson 3.5 yards to Gesicki at 2.3.

Anyway I think Wilson is the player who will take the mist snaps away from Gesicki. If Gesicki can man up and block like a average TE then he will steal snaps from Smythe.
You are completely dismissing the substitution angle, and how the players who come in offensively dictate the defensive substitutions?

I get that but if Iā€™m running a four WR set i
Donā€™t need MG. I need a WR who knows how to run and get yacs, something MG canā€™t do. Only think MG can do and does it well is catch the ball in his radius and some acrobatic catches also. He gets no yacs. We can do better with our WRs

I think Wilson will start as the number 3, but he will have to work very hard to keep it. Nice position to be in.

Back
Top Bottom