Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ?

not sure i saw anybody saying that in this thread.

we can all agree we need RB.

whether or not an RB is the top rated player on the board at any of our picks is the issue.

the only failure based on that not happening, would be the failure to draft an RB.

the draft succeeds and fails on the players that are taken, not the players that aren't.

this draft could be a home run in hundreds (thousands?) of ways with zero RB drafted.
Reread your first and last sentences

No because there is only 2 top RBs, the rest are not complete players today like ETN or Harris. Williams has a way to go in pass pro and catching

After not getting one of the top RB’s in the 2020 draft, I think it is imperative they get one of the top three RB’s this year. Right now they have a very mediocre RB unit and while the RB position isn’t valued in the game today the way it was in the past. I still think having a top tier RB is important for the overall offense.
Why I wouldn’t call not getting one of the top three RB’s a fail. It would certainly be a disappointment when you consider they have 4 picks in the top 50. With 4 picks that high, they should be able to fill 4 big needs on the teams and RB is certainly one of those big needs.

After not getting one of the top RB’s in the 2020 draft, I think it is imperative they get one of the top three RB’s this year. Right now they have a very mediocre RB unit and while the RB position isn’t valued in the game today the way it was in the past. I still think having a top tier RB is important for the overall offense.
Why I wouldn’t call not getting one of the top three RB’s a fail. It would certainly be a disappointment when you consider they have 4 picks in the top 50. With 4 picks that high, they should be able to fill 4 big needs on the teams and RB is certainly one of those big needs.
how great would it be that an RB is the top prospect on our board when one of our picks rolls around?

it's fun when BPA perfectly meets need.

I still believe a big time rb has a highly productive place in a well rounded O. Travis and Williams are gonna be really good pros imo. Would love one!

Not really sure how some think RB is not a need for us
I don’t think many people don’t believe it’s a need. It’s just that many of us understand that running back is not a make or break position as far having a successful offense and that running back is the easiest position to find adequate production from without having to expend your most valuable draft assets. Last year’s leading rookie rusher was an undrafted free agent, James Robinson. I wouldn’t even consider a running back in the first round and I would only consider it in the second round if one of the top three is there, but I definitely wouldn’t panic if the draft board didn’t fall right and Miami wasn’t able to land one of the top three.

IMO the best rookie RB last year was undrafted. He did not have a good OL or a decent passing attack and was still very, very good.
I'm referring to James Robinson of the Jags. Over 1,000 yards and 4.5 carry.

Last edited:
I think it would really suck if we miss out on the top 3. I really want ETN at 36 but my gut says he won't be there.
Anyone saying RB isn't an important position is a straight "knucklehead" it's that simple.
If you don't know what RBs do for your offense you have zero awareness of the game of Football.

Last edited:
IMO the best rookie RB last year was undrafted. He did not have a good OL or a decent passing attack and was still very, very good.
Phillip Lindsay was another one.

Undrafted Free Agent who put up two very fine seasons in 2018 and 2019 before falling off a bit with an injury last year.

Over 1000 yards in his first two years... for rookie minimum. It's not just that he was good, it's that the Broncos didn't have to expend a pick, and they were able to pay him peanuts... just a laughably low amount of money. Indeed, less money in three full years than a drafted rookie would have made in 8 games.

...and this isn't uncommon.

I would say yes considering our draft capital but I'm also against drafting a RB in the 1st round unless it's towards the end of the 1st round.

We need a RB ASAP. I think there are top tier players at this position.4 true RB .
I would love Harris or Williams .
But would settle for The other top backs.
Would this draft be less attractive if we don't get one of the 4 ?
No. Absolutely not.

No. There are only two guaranteed misses in this draft, not securing an edge rusher, and not getting talent to build around Tua. I'm confident we'll get those two things. RB's aren't make or break for many teams, and we have some talent in case we don't draft a RB. I suspect we'll draft a RB somewhere, but if we don't, there's always FA ... if we make better decisions than Jordan Howard and Matt Breida. While Etienne, Harris or Williams would be ideal ... the entire concept of Best Player Available (BPA) means you cannot hone in on a specific position. And as far as cornerstone players, RB's are not it at this point of time in the NFL.

We have enough resources to get BPA at important positions like Edge, WR, OL. With the WR and CB class being deep, I'm confident we'll get one of each somewhere. RB's can be found everywhere in the draft these days, so if we need a stop-gap guy, I think we can find one. If we add one of those top 3 RB's, that helps out our offense for 4 years. Either way, I'm more interested in improving the talent level of our roster, so taking BPA is my preferred strategy as long as we secure an Edge, Weapon and Protection for Tua. Our needs align pretty well at #6 and #18 to get a WR and Edge. If we add an OL at #36 or 50, we should have it covered.

Back
Top Bottom