Will we trade a TE this summer? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will we trade a TE this summer?

ChitownPhins28

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
I like every one of our TEs. None of them suck.
Honestly, Im not sure why we needed to draft one, but we must've felt Hunter Long was a Defense-Smashing weapon that was too good to pass up. But, one scouting report I read said his 'attempts to block were downright embarrassing'. Hopefully, that's either outdated info or flat-out wrong. We watched him at the Sr Bowl practices, right? Id think that we werent just looking at a big slow WR but an actual TE that could help in the run game or slow a blitzer if he wasnt in a pattern.

Re: Smythe: I never saw him drop a ball and if he's the best blocker of the bunch then he creates deception when he does leak out into a pattern.

Shaheen certainly looks like a guy we traded good value to get. Seems pretty athletic. Hands bad? Not sure if theres something behind the scenes we dont know about that made Flores and co. sour on him.
Gesick is a great-hands, high-point redzone threat but nowhere near the athlete of a Waller-type. If he cant block then his days probably are numbered. However, it seemed stupid to make a move to push him out when we really could've used the Hunter Long pick on a Center.

With the glut of quality WRs, something's gotta give at cut-down time. I hope the rest of the league isnt circling us like sharks in a feeding frenzy, waiting for us to cut quality players or get trades with terrible value for us.
Just seems stupid for us to be in a bind this way when we had holes in our roster. IMO, we're still pretty weak at DE re: pass rush. Our center position could be a disaster. Could be good...but it’s 50/50 at best.
Whatta ya think?

Let’s not forget Cethan Carter. I understand the “he’s an H-back” stance, but whose spot does he take in the RB room, then?

I am of the opinion it's going to come down to either Gesicki or Smythe being moved. And while it's a (very) unpopular opinion, I think it's Gesicki.

Didnt know about the wanting to trade Smythe during the draft either. Wonder why there were no teams interested?

I like Waddle at slot, so we can't have 2 TE set most of the time. That means, if Long shows promise, we can't keep Gesicke. I take a second for Gesicke.

I hope we re-sign Gesicki. Team player all the way. Had Tua’s back with an intensity I appreciated. Besides, if Long can really play, two tight end sets can be absolutely devastating. The optionality and option matchups can be seemingly limitless. That Pats unit with Gronk and Hernandez was one of the toughest schemes I can ever remember to defend. Not saying our guys are at that level but there is a lot you can do with multiple tight ends.

Besides our roster is skewed heavily to rookie contracts. We have the money to sign him. This shouldn’t be an either/or deal. IMO

The biggest question is if we are going to pay Gesicki. I don't see us paying him with such a crowded group but he is the alpha.

I believe Long was insurance.

For all we know, MG wants to test the FA market. If thats the case, the dolphins probably know that to be the case.

It isn't entirely within the team's control, so they need to plan ahead, and have options.

As far as who goes? I would like to keep Smythe, in fact, not sure how they wouldn't. He is the best blocker, and it isn't close.

Back
Top Bottom