Winston wants to be dolphin... Miami not overly interested | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Winston wants to be dolphin... Miami not overly interested

Tell ya, I find this very interesting that they don't want to sign Winston...Now either he's asking for the moon and Irish has offered his price and won't budge, or there are some injury concerns, or as was mentioned they simply would rather go in a different direction than Winston... I know that if they draft a T at #12, all the Irish haters will be on their dander and the banner will be flying over the stadium again...but in reality, it'll probably be a smart move....I'm still holding out hope that Vaccarro or Rhodes are left for us at #12, but we'll see...

Does that allergy to former Canes include Lamar Miller and Olivier Vernon?

I'll let you know in about 3 years when they have proven whether they can play or not. I actually think Vernon has potential. Miller has a lot to prove to me.

jeffs just playing the cold shoulder to bring his price down!

now that Dumervil is off the market, Winston shouldnt be a financial issue.

People need to realize that the season doesnt start until September. Training camp doesnt start until...July? Winston has 4 months to sign with someone. He is one of the better RT's in the league, so hes a necessity at this point. We need CBs, since we dont have any starting caliber ones. I really would rather take CB in the first round as of this point

Sorry, I find it hard to believe that Dumervill ever was wanted here...he doesn't exactly fit in this scheme even tho he was the best alternative on the market recently at DE... Still makes me think there has to be some injury issues since he hasn't signed anywhere...there are other teams who could use a solid RT besides Miami...

Tell ya, I find this very interesting that they don't want to sign Winston...Now either he's asking for the moon and Irish has offered his price and won't budge, or there are some injury concerns, or as was mentioned they simply would rather go in a different direction than Winston... I know that if they draft a T at #12, all the Irish haters will be on their dander and the banner will be flying over the stadium again...but in reality, it'll probably be a smart move....I'm still holding out hope that Vaccarro or Rhodes are left for us at #12, but we'll see...

your signature's a tad outdated lol :)

I'll let you know in about 3 years when they have proven whether they can play or not. I actually think Vernon has potential. Miller has a lot to prove to me.

What does this have to do with Miami's allergy to former Canes?

Dolphins interests
D.J. Fluker might be a stretch at that spot, but perhaps the Dolphins would consider him if they traded back. Florida State’s Menelik Watson worked out privately with Dolphins offensive line coach Jim Turner during the Seminoles’ Pro Day, although he likely wouldn’t come off the board until at least the second round.

The Dolphins also have expressed interest in Kentucky guard Larry Warford, a 6-3, 332-pound mauler whom NFL Draft Scout rates as the fourth-best player at his position. He’s be a possible fit in Rounds 2 or 3.

One free agent who remains on the Dolphins’ radar is linebacker Thomas Howard, who visited Miami the first week of free agency. Miami is still in the mix for the former Bengal, according to a league source.

Miami has 11 draft picks in the deepest OL draft in years.

Winston will have to court Miami, not the other way around.

Rosenhaus and Winston appear to be doing just that.

Phinphanatic: Eric Winston To The Dolphins?

http://phinphanatic.com/2013/03/25/eric-winston-to-the-dolphins/

Eric Winston To The Dolphins?

When the free agent period start a couple of weeks back, some of the biggest needs for the Miami Dolphins included, offensive line, wide receiver, tight end, and cornerback. While the receiver and tight end position has been solved, the Phins are still in search for a cornerback and a couple of new offensive linemen.
There was already a huge hole on the line and then their best offensive lineman, Jake Long decided to sign with the St. Louis Rams. His switching of teams led the Dolphins into an even deeper hole then they were already in. The offensive line will most likely be addressed in this year’s draft, as they possess five picks within the first three rounds in the draft. Despite the likeliness that this hole will be filled in the draft, I think it is important that the Dolphins go out and sign a veteran tackle. One tackle who has interest with the Miami Dolphins is Eric Winston.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Eric Winston, he is a right tackle who formerly played for the Houston Texans and the Kansas City Chiefs. Last season, after being cut by the Texans, Winston signed a contract to play for Kansas City. Despite being ranked as one of the best right tackles in football last season by Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs decided to move in another direction after they franchised tackle Brandon Albert and then cutting Winston.
For the Dolphins, Winston is a match made in heaven. Winston is very athletic for the tackle position and would fit perfectly into their zone blocking system. Winston also has familiarity with the team, as offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was his offensive coordinator for his first couple of seasons in the NFL. Eric’s brother, Matt, is also a scout for the Miami Dolphins. Along with his familiarity with the team, Winston would fit in perfect with the city of Miami, having played his college ball at the University of Miami.
Winston’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has expressed Eric’s interest in playing in a Dolphins uniform. While being on WSVN Channel 7, Rosenhaus said, “Eric would really like to play for the Miami Dolphins.”

Despite the good chance that Winston would work out in Miami, the Dolphins don’t seem to want to pull the trigger. One reason as to why they might not want to sign Winston is because of his age. This November, Winston will be turning 30. Even though that isn’t necessarily old, the Dolphins have been going in a younger direction as of late, after releasing veterans Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett and then signing younger players such as Phillip Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe.
In my opinion, Winston would be a great signing. At this point, I don’t believe money is the issue. Over the past couple of weeks the Dolphins have set aside money with the hopes that Jake Long would re-sign. We all know that he didn’t, therefore the Dolphins have some money that they could use on Winston. Not all of the money of course, but some of it. Even though I think he would be an ideal person to fill the hole at the right tackle position, the Dolphins most likely don’t agree. If they really wanted him you would have to think that something would have been done by now.

Wherever it is that Winston goes (hopefully Miami), that team will be signing not only a great player, but also an experienced leader for all of the young guys in the locker room.

Makes you wonder what the hold up is getting Winston signed when he wants to play for the Dolphins - probably $$$ & being a potential progress stopper for whatever tackle they draft...

To me it means we are looking at other guys who can play RT and draft them around the 2nd-4th round, who won't cost us $5 million a season.

F/A has really come to a halt, since the 1st week of signings. Winston took more money and signed with KC last off season. It wouldn't surprise me if he still has himself over valued. With the draft fast approaching most of the remaining F/A are, on the back burner, at this point and time. The 2nd wave probably will heat up after the draft. Winston will have to settle for something less in terms of dollars and contract length, if he ever gets signed. It's a shame because he is such a good fit for the WCO. You figured he would have accepted the fact his value was less and would have come home to play in his home town team, with the added benefit of no state income tax.

Back
Top Bottom