Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would the FO have the balls to do this and draft a QB

This franchise has sunk so low that many are now aspiring to be the Cleveland Browns..... how F'n sad.....

QB 2014 1 22 22 Johnny Manziel Texas A&M
2012 1 22 22 Brandon Weeden Oklahoma State
2010 3 21 85 Colt McCoy Texas
2007 1 22 22 Brady Quinn Notre Dame
2005 3 3 67 Charlie Frye Akron
2004 4 10 106 Luke McCown Louisiana Tech
2000 6 17 183 Spergon Wynn Southwest Texas State
1999 1 1 1 Tim Couch Kentucky

Draft another one Cleveland!!

They will be, Hue already said the team needs a QB.

They will be, Hue already said the team needs a QB.

In the end, you keep doing it until you get it right...can;t really fault them for trying (though you can fault them for making bad choices)

Stopped reading the article as soon as i read draft a QB every draft until you find elite.... As if doing this assures you to secure one...how many elite guys have come out in the last 10 years? 2?
Lets see where that strategy takes us drafting a QB every year.... after ten years, the odds you have hit on a elite guy are 20% right? Wrong, to get those odds you'd have to draft every QB in every draft...
Most likely, 10 years from now doing this, we will have a QB no better than Tannehill as the starter, a PS full of QBs, and an even ****tier team devoid of talent... Now that I think of it, that would be a very dolphins thing to do....

Im okay with a 6th or 7th round qb however would be pissed with anyone in the 5th or lower unless it was some super steal that our coaching staff loves. We need a ton of help so 1-5 needs to be used to draft starters and guys that can contribute.

this

In the end, you keep doing it until you get it right...can;t really fault them for trying (though you can fault them for making bad choices)

I can fault the people unable to see the real issues on the team and making ridiculous suggestions. They're the ones advocating taking a QB whether there is a good one available or not.

I can't speak for Adam Gase. If he goes to the front office and wants a QB because he feels Ryan Tannehill will never be a QB that takes this team to higher levels . . . . and he likes a guy that requires a first/second round pick . . . . roll the dice . . . this team, for me at least, is more about setting Gase up for success rather than proving a point with Ryan Tannehill.

That said, I don't think this is the year. Ryan has shown some inconsistency but some flashes of brilliance as well. I think Gase should definitely have a year with him and if it doesn't work, by all means, dip your hat into the 2017 draft and grab "your guy".

That said, I have no issues getting a day 3 guy or a UDFA. Should of happened once Philbin's pet project Devlin was given up on.

That I would have no problem with. What I have a problem with is taking one for the **** of it every year

Stopped reading the article as soon as i read draft a QB every draft until you find elite.... As if doing this assures you to secure one...how many elite guys have come out in the last 10 years? 2?
Lets see where that strategy takes us drafting a QB every year.... after ten years, the odds you have hit on a elite guy are 20% right? Wrong, to get those odds you'd have to draft every QB in every draft...
Most likely, 10 years from now doing this, we will have a QB no better than Tannehill as the starter, a PS full of QBs, and an even ****tier team devoid of talent... Now that I think of it, that would be a very dolphins thing to do....

I dont get the logic in that either. I guess it makes some people feel better 'look were trying'.

not to mention it's as if you can tell the kid is elite after 1 year....yea, that always works. :rolleyes2:

although I'm sure some people on the board would assure me they can

throwing a sixth round pick at QB is one thing, spending a first round pick is quite different.

There's basically no risk whatsoever in drafting a QB in the 6th round. We should be doing it every year.

There is no need to waste a pick on a qb. We'll find out in 2016 if Tannehill is the future. If he isn't then we will probably suck so take a first round qb next year. If he is then you can start drafting your mid level, developmental guys to "push Tannehill". QB should be a very, very low priority in the 2016 draft.

Here's a good article (2014) from Football Outsiders on round by round study onQB draft history. Obviously Brady has skewed a lot of the late round stats.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

Also

Emery says he has studied the development of quarterbacks in the NFL and found that teams that draft quarterbacks in the late round rarely turn those players into franchise starters.

“I just did a little study. It’s very interesting,” Emery said. “That developmental theory doesn’t hold a whole lot of water. There’s entire classes of quarterbacks, since ’06, I went back and looked at from [Jay Cutler’s draft class] on — when people say developmental quarterbacks, OK, so who has gotten developed? There isn’t a single quarterback after the third round since 2006 that has been a long-term starter. So you’re either developing thirds, and most of them have been wiped out of the league. So to get a quality quarterback, you’ve got to draft them high. That 2012 class is a blip on the radar that’s unusual, highly unusual.

In 2012, the Seahawks got Russell Wilson in the third round and the Eagles got Nick Foles in the third round. But Emery says the good quarterbacks are usually snapped up in the first and second rounds.

“That 2012 class is a blip on the radar that’s unusual, highly unusual,” Emery said. “Most of the starters in this league come from the first and second round. So that’s where you need to take a quarterback. So when you talk about quarterback every year, they have to be somebody that you truly believe will beat out the second and third quarterback that you perceive on your roster. And if not, history shows that you shouldn’t make that pick.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...veloping-late-round-quarterbacks-doesnt-work/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/QB-1980-now.htm
Just to back up what he's saying. Out of the 28 or so first rounders, i suppose cam, ryan and luck are elite from the last 10 years. Couple borderline guys that might be right between where tannehill is and elite. I dont know why people think qbs grow on trees... I dont know if tannehill is the answer but hes certainly lightyears ahead of anyone else since marino retired and better than what most teams have drafted the last 10 years.

can the QB play corner? Middle linebacker? Safety? Left guard? the corner on the other side?

No? Then I hope they have the brains not to even consider it.

Did you read the entire article? Mando is absolutely right that drafting a CB or LB or pass rusher in round one isn't going to turn us into a playoff team. Plus you make it sound as if we take a QB with ONE pick we miss out on multiple picks or something, its just one pick for goodness sake! It's not like we're saying draft a QB in every round, Geez

I've seen worse from Mando...but here's the problem with his thinking:

Continually drafting a QB while ignoring the parts around the QB leads to failure. This is why, unless the Dolphins win a considerable amount of games next year, the "Tannehill argument" will never be resolved.

Viewpoint A: "Tannehill has been surrounded by incompetence his entire pro career, and calling him a failure is making him a scapegoat for the ret of the team's problems."
Viewpoint B: "Tannehill as been in a variety of systems and has been proven as incapable of overcoming adversity. He doesn't have "it.""

Round and round it'll go, and where it'll stop, nobody knows. What Armando is suggesting is going to result in the same thing all over again. You cannot simply draft a QB if he's the best available player every year. To look at the Browns analogy, what if they had drafted Matt Kalil an David DeCastro instead of Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden? What if they'd drafted Kelvin Benjamin instead of Johnny Arena Football? You think they'd be better as a team than they are now after taking all those chances on QBs early? I sure as hell do.

Oh...by the way, they could have done all of that and STILL nabbed Kirk Cousins.

Point being, you can still find a QB without doing what Mando said. Drafting one in the first or second this year would simply be going down the Browns path, and setting the QB and franchise up for failure....again.

Now, all of that being said...if Christian Hackenberg is somehow there in the fourth...well...we're having an entirely different conversation.

Back
Top Bottom