Would You Be Upset If We Go Cb 1st Round? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Be Upset If We Go Cb 1st Round?

allsilverdreams

Starter
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
With X and Fitz as our young core for the future would you be upset if we took a CB with our first round pick.
With a strong secondary you can hide your deficiency on the line.
Also I don't believe we have the personal to switch to a 3 -4 defense as was stated numerous times since our new coaching staff took over.
Would be Nice to have an elite seconary like Madison and Surtain gave us .

Yes, I would be extremely upset!!!

Strengthen the lines this year, next year.....QB and CB.

If they do what they said they were going to do they will succeed; if they get seduced by the hype and go off script, they will create just another Dolphin debacle.

Screw you guys who want an entire rebuild in one year.

Id much rather go Dline on defense given the talent at the top. Build inside out. It has been so painful watching this cheap inconsistent line play, on both sides of the ball for that matter, for years now. Also, it doesnt matter who is covering if the QB has 5/6 seconds to throw.

I'll be upset with any player not named Kyler Murray.

But I will not be more upset with a CB than I would be with any other position aside from Murray. In fact I think they should be targeting a CB at 13, else a trade down and having a thought about CB or some of those Safeties.

Nope not at all. CB is still a need for Miami. It was a glaring need in 2018, and that still hasn't changed. CB #2 should be a priority. Adding to Howard, Fitzpatrick and McCain should only help make the secondary better. Can't count on Tankersley to make a comeback. Think Miami might move on from him, if he's not fully recovered.

I'm genuinely not opposed as long as we hit on our first rounder. We can't afford to miss at #13. With as many needs as we have CB is definitely on that list . Outside of X we have nothing but question marks behind him. If White, Wilkins or Ferrell are also available at #13 I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on what I would assume would be Greedy Williams. But not totally opposed.

Not upset IF we are focusing on building a defense this year (with all of the "tank" talk)… I would start with the D-line … although a shut down secondary isn't horrible

Yes, I would be extremely upset!!!

Strengthen the lines this year, next year.....QB and CB.

If they do what they said they were going to do they will succeed; if they get seduced by the hype and go off script, they will create just another Dolphin debacle.

Screw you guys who want an entire rebuild in one year.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. If there's some elite CB prospect sitting there @13 then you strongly have to consider drafting said player. Especially if the "line talent" that's available is that strong and the drop off in the next round isn't that big.

Also let's not pretend another DB next to X isn't a need.

What people don't fully grasp is that Miami is going from being a defense that plays BASE (4 DBs) on 40% of downs and then NICKEL (5 DBs) on the other 60% of downs, to being a defense that is only going to play BASE maybe 10-20% of downs, will play DIME (6 DBs) on 30% of downs, and will even play QUARTER (7 DBs) on 5-10% of downs.

It's like going from an offense that exclusively uses 12- and 21-personnel (2 WRs), to being an exclusive 11-personnel (3 WRs) offense.

Welcome to modern NFL defense.

Miami never, and I do mean *never* put SIX defensive backs on the field last year, but maybe once or twice. Now they're going to have to put six on the field a large amount of time, and then even put SEVEN on the field sometimes.

And do you think they're going to just say, "Ooops, guess we can't use Dime or Quarter today" every other week just because a DB happens to be hurt? No.

So how deep do you need to be in the secondary to do this? Answer, REAL ****ING DEEP.

And yet, if we're to assume T.J. McDonald and Reshad Jones are to be ditched, later if not sooner, then we have how many DBs on roster that are actually worth a damn? Three? Xavien Howard, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Bobby McCain, and that's it.

So you're god damned right I would be drafting secondary players. As many of them as I can. Emphasis on safeties since I would actually continue to use Minkah at corner.

I'll be upset with any player not named Kyler Murray.

But I will not be more upset with a CB than I would be with any other position aside from Murray. In fact I think they should be targeting a CB at 13, else a trade down and having a thought about CB or some of those Safeties.

:funny:

@ckparrothead

Honest question here and give me a straight answer. How much conviction do you have that this kid is going to be great? If you're the Miami Dolphins what would you be willing to give up to go up and get Murray? Because that's very likely what's it going to take.

Are you willing to give up as much as 3 1's?

:funny:

@ckparrothead

Honest question here and give me a straight answer. How much conviction do you have that this kid is going to be great? If you're the Miami Dolphins what would you be willing to give up to go up and get Murray? Because that's very likely what's it going to take.

Are you willing to give up as much as 3 1's?

There's really no evidence that it would cost that much so it's kind of a silly question to ask.

I have conviction that he's a franchise quarterback that will be one of the most threatening signal callers in the NFL for however long he plays, which I assume will be an average length of time.

What is that worth to you?

It's worth to me whatever the market will bear. There is such a thing as him just being out of reach. If Arizona or Oakland are trying to tell you they covet him, yet they're offering to trade you the pick, I'd call their bluff. I'd make them prove it by trying to go deep into negotiations for Josh Rosen or Derek Carr, and if they're not willing to part with them, then you know they're bluffing.

But if another team is after the pick and they're offering what you say then yes, ultimately I'll pay the price the market bears.

This is QB1 in this draft, and an absolutely unique prospect. You can't really say that every year. You tried to compare this to what I said about Weeden but that's really a very poor comparison since Andrew Luck was my QB1 in that draft and had been for literally 2.5 years.

What people don't fully grasp is that Miami is going from being a defense that plays BASE (4 DBs) on 40% of downs and then NICKEL (5 DBs) on the other 60% of downs, to being a defense that is only going to play BASE maybe 10-20% of downs, will play DIME (6 DBs) on 30% of downs, and will even play QUARTER (7 DBs) on 5-10% of downs.

It's like going from an offense that exclusively uses 12- and 21-personnel (2 WRs), to being an exclusive 11-personnel (3 WRs) offense.

Welcome to modern NFL defense.

Miami never, and I do mean *never* put SIX defensive backs on the field last year, but maybe once or twice. Now they're going to have to put six on the field a large amount of time, and then even put SEVEN on the field sometimes.

And do you think they're going to just say, "Ooops, guess we can't use Dime or Quarter today" every other week just because a DB happens to be hurt? No.

So how deep do you need to be in the secondary to do this? Answer, REAL ****ING DEEP.

And yet, if we're to assume T.J. McDonald and Reshad Jones are to be ditched, later if not sooner, then we have how many DBs on roster that are actually worth a damn? Three? Xavien Howard, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Bobby McCain, and that's it.

So you're god damned right I would be drafting secondary players. As many of them as I can. Emphasis on safeties since I would actually continue to use Minkah at corner.

You have lost your mind. How can it be that the great evaluator has given himself to overthinking everything.

The initial assessment of this team was absolutely correct. The lines, as they are, cannot support a winning team.

If the lines are again ignored it will just be another exercise in futility.

No problem using Minkah as a slot corner, as he was elite in that role, but giving up on Reshad Jones before he has a chance in the new system is absurd.

I would be happy.

Tank is a bust and McCain cannot play boundary. He is simply horrendous anywhere but the slot.

I also think there will be great cb talent available where we pick compared to offensive line talent. Greedy Williams and Deandre Baker are legit #1 and tested corners.

There will be defensive line talent as well and I wouldn’t be against going that direction.

You have lost your mind. How can it be that the great evaluator has given himself to overthinking everything.

The initial assessment of this team was absolutely correct. The lines, as they are, cannot support a winning team.

If the lines are again ignored it will just be another exercise in futility.

No problem using Minkah as a slot corner, as he was elite in that role, but giving up on Reshad Jones before he has a chance in the new system is absurd.

Reshad Jones can't stay healthy to save his life. He has nerve damage in one shoulder and a torn labrum (plus other stuff) in the other shoulder. He's expensive as hell and literally, literally walked off the field last year during a game because he was pissed off at a coach. And then started blasting the coaches for using him wrong. His remaining time here is short, if he has any at all.

Until/unless you put in the work I do, you don't really have any business suggesting that I am over thinking something about this team. You can disagree with me all you want and that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom