Would you consider... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you consider...

Jamesw

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I dont want this to become a Tua pro/con shitstorm. This is a serious draft/football question for serious debate. PLEASE.

Question: If JJ. McCarthy is available at 21. Would you draft him to compete and be a backup this season? I've been thinking about this and although I support Tua, I would pull the trigger and take McCarthy. It gives me a solid rookie backup, and if Tua shows what we hope he is, then we have a great trade asset. If Tua isn't "the guy" then we have a replacement with a year of experience, ready to take over in 2025.

Thoughts?

Im going to give a nebulous answer...forgive me šŸ˜‚ you've been warned šŸ˜‚....

Sure, if we honestly believe he can be the guy at some point for us or maybe in trade...to outright say no would be like saying no to having drafted Marino because after all we had a SB Qb (or rather Qbs) at the time...

However, again, it depends on the board at the time ...and if our scouts think that his potential is way more than any other prospect at that point in the draft...

No....I wouldn't do that at pick 21

You either believe Tua is your guy or you don't. This by all reporting is a contract year for Tua and I'm not sure that taking a QB in round 1 and giving a huge contract to your current QB would make any sense or would send the right message to anyone involved. It also wouldn't help the team this year.

I'm not opposed to picking a QB in the draft to develop, but I'm certainly not doing it this year with only 6 picks available to us and most in the later rounds. I'm spending those resources on the offensive line or another position of immediate need

No because Tua is their guy. We didnā€™t sign poyer/Barrett/fuller/jonnu/jordyn brooks for no reason. Pretty evident the course even with limited picks and money is all in for the next 2-3 years.

No. If you have doubts about Tua, you donā€™t give him $250 million. If you donā€™t have doubts about Tua, you donā€™t use a first round pick on a QB. Itā€™s one or the other.

Also no because Tyreek is 30 and Ramsey is 29. This is year two of a four year window of contention. We need a first rounder who will contribute to wins, not soften the landing in losses.

Disclaimer: I dont want this to become a Tua pro/con shitstorm. This is a serious draft/football question for serious debate. PLEASE.

Question: If JJ. McCarthy is available at 21. Would you draft him to compete and be a backup this season? I've been thinking about this and although I support Tua, I would pull the trigger and take McCarthy. It gives me a solid rookie backup, and if Tua shows what we hope he is, then we have a great trade asset. If Tua isn't "the guy" then we have a replacement with a year of experience, ready to take over in 2025.

Thoughts?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Thoughts?
No. We donā€™t have enough assets at this point to consider such a thing. Far greater need to take an OT, WR, or even Dtackle or edge player at that position than a back up Qb who wont even see the field unless Tua gets hurt, and then the season will be over anyways if that happens. A Rookie QBā€™s probably not going to be able to stop that from happeningā€¦

Remember the goal is to win the division, and then win some playoff games.

Thoughts?
No. Need OL/WR at 21.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't draft him with glaring needs on the OL. Although I might have felt the same in 1983 when Marino was drafted :shrug:

If he falls that far I guess you never know. As it stands today, I'm leaning toward drafting OL. We're one injury away from that being a huge problem

You do not draft a QB in round 1 the same year you are giving QB1 a massive contract. paying him that money you need to use those recources wisely
Sad but true. I would love to snag Mccarthy, I think there's something to the guy. But the only scenario we do this is by trading Tua. It is not possible to have both of them. Is the trade Tua situation possible? Sure, I'd be considering it, but I doubt our front office is. Our window is tight as people mentioned. Mccarthy has proven he can win on the big stage but he'll still need development and there is no guarantee he has the pro skills.

Also I really don't think he falls that far so we'd have to trade up. Bottom line, I would enjoy taking Mccarthy and trading Tua. But it's probably a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom