Would you consider... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you consider...

You dont draft a player in the 1st round to be a back up. I know the Packers did, and thats worked out ok, but with so many holes to fill - OT/DE/OLB/NT - you take a player that will start.

You dont draft a player in the 1st round to be a back up. I know the Packers did, and thats worked out ok, but with so many holes to fill - OT/DE/OLB/NT - you take a player that will start.
Based on this line "you take a player that will start", I know you aren't Grier

Disclaimer: I dont want this to become a Tua pro/con shitstorm. This is a serious draft/football question for serious debate. PLEASE.

Question: If JJ. McCarthy is available at 21. Would you draft him to compete and be a backup this season? I've been thinking about this and although I support Tua, I would pull the trigger and take McCarthy. It gives me a solid rookie backup, and if Tua shows what we hope he is, then we have a great trade asset. If Tua isn't "the guy" then we have a replacement with a year of experience, ready to take over in 2025.

Thoughts?
Anyone who thinks McCarthy is a first rounder is a fing idiot.

I can't stand paying the limited Tua and even I think this thread is absurd.

Man, Tua had a great season and lead the league in so many categories, but peeps are still talking about his replacement.
Its just mind boggling.

I would not draft any QB at 21. The Dolphins have their starting QB for the next decade already and wasting a first round pick on another QB makes no sense.

They have plenty of needs to fill and QB is not one of those needs. If they want to select a QB in the 7th round or pick up a QB as an UDFA, fine. That QB could compete with Thompson for the 3rd string position but that’s all they need at the QB position at this time.

If we had tons of draft capital, it would possibly be acceptable. With so few bullets, your first pick better hit home, as in an immediate starter.

As much as I like McCarthy (to an extent), he has too much to work on and we do not have the luxury picks needed to splurge for him.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• While McCarthy flashes a strong for an arm, he battles inconsistencies with ball placement, often forcing his pass-catchers to adjust mid-route, inhibiting YAC potential.
  • When airing it out, he struggles with touch and loft, rather than just relying on his arm strength. This sometimes gives DBs (defensive backs) a window to make a play on the ball.
  • On tape, against TCU, he's shown a glaring deficiency in throws to the boundary on the right side, hinting at a potential mechanical flaw in his release or footwork.
  • His dropbacks sometimes lack the crispness and rhythm, causing him to telegraph throws, especially on out routes, giving corners a jump on the ball.
  • Physique-wise, he sports a wiry frame that might raise eyebrows about his ability to take NFL-caliber hits, especially between the tackles or on scrambles.
  • His pocket presence needs refinement; while he’s got the wheels to extend plays, he tends to bail from clean pockets rather than stepping up and navigating the pocket with poise.
  • His football IQ, while promising, showcases a rawness in reading complex defensive schemes and disguises, a red flag when projecting against NFL defenses.
  • Ball velocity is a strength, but he often lasers passes when a softer touch is needed, particularly against layered zone coverages or when dropping it in the bucket over linebackers and in front of safeties.
  • As he heads to the pro level, diversifying his route tree and demonstrating a consistent ability to progress through reads will be paramount.
  • His pre-snap diagnostics show room for growth; recognizing blitz packages, adjusting protections, and hot-routing will be crucial in the faster-paced, more intricate NFL defensive schemes.

Possibly trade down a few spots to get some more picks

IMO McCarthy is not NFL ready. I know it makes sense for him to leave Michigan after winning the National Championship and his HC moving back to the NFL. That being said, he would have benefited from another year in college. His tape has flashes, but I would argue it is fairly clear that he is behind the top 3 QBs (right now).

He is the type of prospect you see every year. The “dark horse” maybe he will shoot into the 1st round guy. It might happen. The Vikings have two 1st round picks now and clearly need a QB. I think he is more of a day 2 guy personally.

Back
Top Bottom