Would you consider... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you consider...

No unless you feel that you can’t get a new contract done. That would be the only way and then you would be shopping Tua this season.

I wouldn’t do it for McCarthy though as I just don’t see him being a great NFL QB.

However, again, it depends on the board at the time ...and if our scouts think that his potential is way more than any other prospect at that point in the draft...
This is such an important part of the draft. It's easy throw out a particular player's stats, but the reality is what the board does is probably the most understated fact about the draft. Rarely you'll hear someone say later on down the road how another team affected your draft.

I would. I might even consider Bo Nix.

This game now is so much about making those off script plays, where the defense does everything right, but the quarterback buys time and makes big plays.

Obviously, there are other ways to win (see Tom Brady), but I think that's what separates the quarterbacks for the most part.

I really like Tua and he's obviously a great fit for this offense. But I am concerned that his sneaky, good athleticism will not return.

McCarthy and Nix both give you that skill set.

Very true, but I'm not sure McCarthy gives you the timing/accuracy that this offense demands. The system would have to change for his skills. The tradeoff there might net you a worse QB performance.

Wouldn’t consider only because the team needs to bottom out completely. We need a Caleb Williams or Jayden Daniels with a top pick and not a guy who slid because of question marks

You're way behind the curve if you draft a QB in the bottom of the 1st when you actually have a guy you expect to start all year. QBs are ridiculously over drafted these days because of the cost of the position... the dude you're picking at 21 is basically 3rd round talent with the success rate associated with it. A move like that would reek of indecisive incompetence.

The ship has sailed on that move, as it needed Tua on the block at the very start of the off-season.

Very true, but I'm not sure McCarthy gives you the timing/accuracy that this offense demands. The system would have to change for his skills. The tradeoff there might net you a worse QB performance.
Might? It would be dramatically worse. His skill set doesn't translate to this offense at all. McCarthy can move around but he's not a touch/timing guy.

I attended Michigan at Penn State and never thought I was looking at a high round prospect. Michigan didn't trust him to throw one pass during the second half. During the championship game Michigan was dominating play via running game and defense. An elite quarterback would have salivated and maximized to blow open the game. Instead JJ McCarthy turned a 17-3 early second quarter lead into needlessly close via a procession of 5 punts, one lost on downs, and a couple of field goals before finally connecting on a 40 yarder mostly by accident in the middle of the 4th quarter. For most of that game it didn't look like he would manage 100 yards.

After the semifinal game against Alabama the theme on one college football forum after another was that both teams demonstrated you can contend for the national title despite a marginal player at quarterback.

The NFL loves to draft these Kenny Pickett/Sam Howell/Will Levis types at late first or early second. Then very quickly you realize you're stuck. They simply aren't the level required to put up high volume points every week. The one late first quarterback I did support was Jordan Love. I advocated two first round quarterbacks that year. Love can not only move around but he can also dial up any degree on the rainbow, unlike line drive McCarthy. Love just needs to normalize delivery point especially body tilt.

Also, I'm admittedly biased against college quarterbacks who wear heavy eye black. They look like dunces and normally play that way in the NFL. McCarthy goes full Jimmy Clausen and then some.

Disclaimer: I dont want this to become a Tua pro/con shitstorm. This is a serious draft/football question for serious debate. PLEASE.

Question: If JJ. McCarthy is available at 21. Would you draft him to compete and be a backup this season? I've been thinking about this and although I support Tua, I would pull the trigger and take McCarthy. It gives me a solid rookie backup, and if Tua shows what we hope he is, then we have a great trade asset. If Tua isn't "the guy" then we have a replacement with a year of experience, ready to take over in 2025.

Thoughts?
Absolutely not. Why use a 1st rnd pick on a guy who maybe you can trade for a 1st rnd pick down the line? Makes no sense. Also, Tua is getting a $50 million a year contract so he obviously had already proven to be “the guy.”

Even if I thought it was wise to draft a QB it wouldn’t be Jj McCarthy. I like both Penix and Nix better. McCarthy was more of a game manager than the other two. Not a fan.

Disclaimer: I dont want this to become a Tua pro/con shitstorm. This is a serious draft/football question for serious debate. PLEASE.

Question: If JJ. McCarthy is available at 21. Would you draft him to compete and be a backup this season? I've been thinking about this and although I support Tua, I would pull the trigger and take McCarthy. It gives me a solid rookie backup, and if Tua shows what we hope he is, then we have a great trade asset. If Tua isn't "the guy" then we have a replacement with a year of experience, ready to take over in 2025.

Thoughts?
JJ McCarthy???? Meh! Hard pass.

Not for McCarthy and not at 21.

If we don't extend Tua and he plays on his 5th year option, then I would consider trading down towards the end of round 1 and pick up some extra draft capital and select Penix. See how Tua's season plays out. If there is no growth and we can't win a playof game again then I would move on with Penix in 2025 and that reopens our window as we would have him for 3 more years on the cheap and then have the ability to make him play on his 5th year option.

I would do something like this. PFN_Draft_result_1710553933060.png

Last edited:

Thoughts?

No.

Like Tua or not, you don't waste that 1st round pick on a QB when you have your starter. You just don't.

HOWEVER.

I'm also from the Ron Wolf school. So I think you at least draft a high-upside QB on Day 3, even if you have an established starting QB.

EVERY YEAR.

This year, I think that guy is Joe Milton.

Back
Top Bottom