Would You Rather | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Rather

Would you rather the fun illusion (choice #1) or the reboot (choice #2)?

• Illusion (explanation below read the post)

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Reboot (explanation below read the post)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • other

Votes: 32 57.1%

• Total voters
The biggest problem that I see going forward is that we peeked last yr (2023) I know we had a lot of injuries but it doesn’t change the fact that 2023 was our best chance of winning on paper. Now we probably won’t be able to retain good players because of the cap situation nor will we be able to sign FA. On top of that we don’t have plenty of draft pick nor have we had them the last couple years. That’s huge going into an offseason with limited resources because those are usually the guys developing

The first scenario is basically what’s going to happen. Like I’ve said over and over, we’re the new Vikings. Whoooopee!

None of the above.

We have had 10 Head Coaches in the last 20 years and have constantly been making changes and it has gotten us nowhere.

Time to try something new and give the current coaching staff the opportunity to continue to move the needle
I get your point that continuity is key, but you're missing something important. The last time that Miami won a playoff game was under Wannstedt in 2000. Wanny was previously the HC of the Bears, and every single HC since him has been a guy with no experience as an NFL Head Coach (although Saban was a college coach). That in itself isn't so bad, as many experienced and successful Coordinators have become HCs. However, they also have had varying levels of success at the HC position, because some Coordinators are better suited to remain a Coordinator.

That said, the main problem is that under Ross, EVERY new HC he hired was NOT an experienced, successful Coordinator; they were all Coordinators in name only. Not one of them actually ran their offense or defense or called the plays. So, what good is continuity if you keep hiring guys who don't have a clue as to how to run their side of the ball, let alone the whole team? Why waste years on these guys?

Continuity would make perfect sense if Ross would actually hire an ex-HC who has had some success, or at least a successful Coordinator with years of experience running his side of the ball.

Illusions... NFL fanbase is full of it. It's on display here, every fan boards, on espn, it's everywhere... Everyone micro analyses everything and no one knows what the **** is going on... It's pretty ****ing simple. Pass the ball well, stop the pass well, hope you stay relatively healthy and you'll get a shot if luck is on your side... 99% of people underestimate the luck factor in Football.

I see all these people going nuts about the KC loss in -wtfever weather saying we need to be better in cold weather, we soft, blah blah blah, it's all non-sense. The loss in KC was basically inevitable outside of a pure miracle, but that doesn't mean the team was built wrong or that you need to blow it up. It just means the team took the wrong path to the SB. 3 minutes of football changed the whole outcome of this season and it happened way before the playoffs.

And I'm not here to sell you that if the Fins win the Titans game, they win the SB... Who the **** knows? But what I'm telling you is those 3 minutes of football changed the path in a significant, SIGNIFICANT way. You're looking at sitting starters in the Bills game and getting home playoff games. Homes games are what this team is built for and that scenario wouldn't have felt as much as a long shot, not even close. Furthermore, you put the Fins in Titans end game situation and they win that game what? 9 out of 10 times?

There's literally no reasonable argument to blow this up, none... Unless your argument is purely emotional that is. It reeks of **** poker players limping AAs always because of that time they got cracked by 7-6 pre-flop. Which is ****ing delusional, as some of the arguments I see floating around here lately.

None of the above.

We have had 10 Head Coaches in the last 20 years and have constantly been making changes and it has gotten us nowhere.

Time to try something new and give the current coaching staff the opportunity to continue to move the needle
Yeah but 9 out of 10 of them have never been a HC previously. Talk about making the same mistake over and over and over

You have to stay where we are. Subjectively it looks terrible. It's difficult to envision a scenario in which our flaws are cleansed and a playoff slate unfolds perfectly. But the point production enables a chance, just like it placed a very imbalanced Detroit team on the brink of the Super Bowl last season. They had the Eagles and Cowboys collapse and next thing you know it's two straight home playoff games and not far from a third if Green Bay held on against the 49ers.

These Dolphins remind me of the late '60s Chargers. I realize not many will relate to that reference. It was awesome to wake up every Sunday because there would be an NFL doubleheader on Channel 4 and an AFL doubleheader on Channel 7. The Chargers would be televised all the time in Miami. Very entertaining team to watch, with a great offensive minded coach in Sid Gillman. Accurate but immobile quarterback in John Hadl. Superstar wide receiver in Lance Allworth. Hard trying defense but personnel not remotely comparable to the bigger more physical Chiefs and Raiders.

Seemingly every other week the late game would be Chargers vs. either the Chiefs or Raiders. And deep down I knew darn well they wouldn't hold up. Invariably it would be a fast start and then the glass jaw would steadily surface. High scoring defeat. But I rooted for those Chargers anyway. They were my third AFL team behind the Dolphins and Jets.

There wasn't a happy ending. San Diego let that era run its course until all of them got old, more or less coinciding with the 1970 merger. But I still have fond memories. I expect the same will hold true of these Dolphins.

None of the above.

This

Blow it up after winning 11 games for the first time since 2008 and getting in the playoffs ? That's crazy talk to me

Illusions... NFL fanbase is full of it. It's on display here, every fan boards, on espn, it's everywhere... Everyone micro analyses everything and no one knows what the **** is going on... It's pretty ****ing simple. Pass the ball well, stop the pass well, hope you stay relatively healthy and you'll get a shot if luck is on your side... 99% of people underestimate the luck factor in Football.

I see all these people going nuts about the KC loss in -wtfever weather saying we need to be better in cold weather, we soft, blah blah blah, it's all non-sense. The loss in KC was basically inevitable outside of a pure miracle, but that doesn't mean the team was built wrong or that you need to blow it up. It just means the team took the wrong path to the SB. 3 minutes of football changed the whole outcome of this season and it happened way before the playoffs.

And I'm not here to sell you that if the Fins win the Titans game, they win the SB... Who the **** knows? But what I'm telling you is those 3 minutes of football changed the path in a significant, SIGNIFICANT way. You're looking at sitting starters in the Bills game and getting home playoff games. Homes games are what this team is built for and that scenario wouldn't have felt as much as a long shot, not even close. Furthermore, you put the Fins in Titans end game situation and they win that game what? 9 out of 10 times?

There's literally no reasonable argument to blow this up, none... Unless your argument is purely emotional that is. It reeks of **** poker players limping AAs always because of that time they got cracked by 7-6 pre-flop. Which is ****ing delusional, as some of the arguments I see floating around here lately.
Dude why are you always acting like nobody except for you knows anything and if they think differently they're either dumb or don't know jack? Your always doing this. Your the biggest stats guy and yes, stats do paint a picture but enlighten us with how all these great stats we have have gotten us anywhere for I dunno, the past 24 years???

Dude why are you always acting like nobody except for you knows anything and if they think differently they're either dumb or don't know jack? Your always doing this. Your the biggest stats guy and yes, stats do paint a picture but enlighten us with how all these great stats we have have gotten us anywhere for I dunno, the past 24 years???

He did not mention any stats

There is a reason for this question. But without explaining the reason for the question, which may bias the responses, here are the choices. For the purposes of this question, please answer the survey as the question is stated. Comments are fine for points about these scenarios, like injuries, etc, which I understand. Consider this a larger philosophical question, which actually is an important one with regard to thinking about how the team (front office, owner), will behave this offseason:

#1) Have the next 5 seasons like last year. 75% of the season is great and super fun. Offense is on fire. Games are fun to watch. You think the team has the chance to do something in the post-season. Fans are into it, and the team gets the national attention it has not had in years. Then warts emerge, you cannot beat the good teams, and you limp into the post-season. But still, the whole time you are thinking, they might have a chance, even going into the playoff game. Then they lose, and are out. Small modifier, every subsequent year it gets a little less fun, as you start to realize that although the team is pretty good, it will probably never be good enough to get over the hump. Caveat, and hopefully I can articulate this well. For the purposes of this question, I am making it clear this is a wild card team for 5 years in a row with a first round playoff loss. HOWEVER, I am telling you that you will not know in advance the team will get bounced from the playoffs, and you get to enjoy the illusion for most of the season (although less and less each season), so it is still super fun to somewhat fun, just like last year (although to less of a degree each year).

OR

#2) Blow the thing up, and start all over. You may suck for awhile. You may have a few seasons of 4 to 7 wins. You will know the team has no chance for a few seasons. The games will suck for a few seasons. BUT you have a 10-20% chance of building the type of team that in 3-4 years will win a Super Bowl. Or you have an 80%-90% of getting to the end of that road, and blowing it all up again, which is the story of the Dolphins last 23 years. But at least you have a chance, as opposed to the first option, where you have no chance.

Or, there is no illusion, but an actual top team with bad luck. were Miami like most top teams and kept the OL largely intact and a lower incidence of injury throughout the roster, Miami would likely have won at least one playoff game. I must add I'm also aware of VF's epic collapse and Mcd's high school level play-calling, both of which could have helped the team.

All that said, I and others 'knew' deep down the Dec collapse was coming. It's tradition. I see no way to blow it up. Walk away from TT? Ride with White or ST? Cut TH, Ramsey and others? And that would help the cap and aid a rebuild how? And I suspect quite a few have this unrealistic view Grier and Mcd will be fired. Not even in the same county as reality.

He did not mention any stats

Why do you say that ? We lose X and maybe Wilkins otherwise most of the same team returns
Yeah he didn't mention stats this time but he's a big stat guy.

Anyway don't forget ogbah, 3 / 4ths of our RB room, DL davis most likely gone, Elliot, Wilson ol, hunt, Wynn, vg, Lamm, Jones, berrios, ingram, Wilson wr, Apple as bad as he is, and much more are FAs this year. How many of them can we re sign while signing draft picks and bringing in other FAs?

Back
Top Bottom