Would You Rather | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Rather

Would you rather the fun illusion (choice #1) or the reboot (choice #2)?

• Illusion (explanation below read the post)

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Reboot (explanation below read the post)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • other

Votes: 32 57.1%

• Total voters
For me a 4 to 7 win season is the same as what we just seen the past 2 seasons as far disappointment goes.
DrH238, another worthy nominee for the platinum lemming award for the wailer's lament misery post of the offseason. The reality is that the Dolphins won 11 games (not 4 or 7, 4 + 7 = 11) and were a good team for much of last season, plus our QB made significant progress. But for a myriad of serious injuries to key players, (cough Jaelan Phillips, Conner Williams, Bradley Chubb, Jevon Holland, etc) we were well placed to win the division and have a home playoff game. You can say that a 4 to 7 win season feels the same, but it's not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I'm missing much of anything, but to your point, I don't think I agree.

We also haven't been to the playoffs much since Wandstedt and our current coach has gotten us there twice in the last 2 years. You have to actually reach the playoffs to get a win in the playoffs. Why in the world would I blow up a coaching staff that has gotten us to the playoffs the last two years for someone who was fired from somewhere else?

Because McD doesn't have the resume you like, you want to move on from him because of it? Despite "not having a clue"....he seems to be have two successful seasons so far with the last one even improved from the first one. Two years as a head coach and two trips to the playoffs.....not bad for someone who has no clue.
Fair enough. Yes, they made the playoffs in McDaniel's first two years... at first glance that's quite impressive. But, I look deeper and see that his lack of experience and questionable at times playcalling probably kept them from winning some of those games against good teams. (That, and I'm not a fan of Fangio at all.) With a weapon like Hill, he's going to get his touches, but a smart playcaller is also going to use him as a decoy and spread the ball around to other receivers. Not McDaniel though; it seemed that he'd rather have Tua force the ball to a covered Hill rather than throw to someone else who is probably open.

That's just in the passing game; the running game also had its share of stupidity. How many times did McDaniel get away from the running game for no good reason when it was working? He also went way overboard when it came to being aggressive, such as going for it on 4th down in the Red Zone and turning the ball over on downs when the smart thing to do would've been to kick the FG. And, toward the end of the season, far too often they kept throwing the ball on 3rd or 4th and short when they should have been running it.

Okay, for the sake of argument, let's say that McDaniel didn't trust the o-line in the running game, and that's why he had Tua throw the ball in short yardage situations. Or, what if Tua was the one who decided to throw the ball to a covered Hill instead of taking the easy check-down pass to someone else for an easy 1st down because the line sucked and pressure was coming. This is still on McDaniel because as a so-called "running game guru" he should know that the o-line is VERY important, and since Miami has always had o-line issues, when he joined the team he (and Grier) should have made sure that building a good o-line was a priority, but they didn't care. And, if Tua is disobeying McDaniel by only throwing to his first read because he feels rushed or can't extend the play, then that's still McDaniel's fault for the lack of a decent o-line and/or not telling to do the job he's being told to do. As far as that goes, McDaniel's lackadaisical leadership style has resulted in an undisciplined team.

There is a reason for this question. But without explaining the reason for the question, which may bias the responses, here are the choices. For the purposes of this question, please answer the survey as the question is stated. Comments are fine for points about these scenarios, like injuries, etc, which I understand. Consider this a larger philosophical question, which actually is an important one with regard to thinking about how the team (front office, owner), will behave this offseason:

#1) Have the next 5 seasons like last year. 75% of the season is great and super fun. Offense is on fire. Games are fun to watch. You think the team has the chance to do something in the post-season. Fans are into it, and the team gets the national attention it has not had in years. Then warts emerge, you cannot beat the good teams, and you limp into the post-season. But still, the whole time you are thinking, they might have a chance, even going into the playoff game. Then they lose, and are out. Small modifier, every subsequent year it gets a little less fun, as you start to realize that although the team is pretty good, it will probably never be good enough to get over the hump. Caveat, and hopefully I can articulate this well. For the purposes of this question, I am making it clear this is a wild card team for 5 years in a row with a first round playoff loss. HOWEVER, I am telling you that you will not know in advance the team will get bounced from the playoffs, and you get to enjoy the illusion for most of the season (although less and less each season), so it is still super fun to somewhat fun, just like last year (although to less of a degree each year).

OR

#2) Blow the thing up, and start all over. You may suck for awhile. You may have a few seasons of 4 to 7 wins. You will know the team has no chance for a few seasons. The games will suck for a few seasons. BUT you have a 10-20% chance of building the type of team that in 3-4 years will win a Super Bowl. Or you have an 80%-90% of getting to the end of that road, and blowing it all up again, which is the story of the Dolphins last 23 years. But at least you have a chance, as opposed to the first option, where you have no chance.
I believe we are currently in the middle of the 2nd option. We blew it up 4 years ago and still have a couple years left on this window. We have to improve again and hopefully avoid the massive injuries. We have a good team. Too soon to give up already.

For me a 4 to 7 win season is the same as what we just seen the past 2 seasons as far disappointment goes.

DrH238, another worthy nominee for the platinum lemming award for the wailer's lament misery post of the offseason. The reality is that the Dolphins won 11 games (not 4 or 7, 4 + 7 = 11) and were a good team for much of last season, plus our QB made significant progress. But for a myriad of serious injuries to key players, (cough Jaelan Phillips, Conner Williams, Bradley Chubb, Jevon Holland, etc) we were well placed to win the division and have a home playoff game. You can say that a 4 to 7 win season feels the same, but it's not.

I understand this perspective about a 4 to 7 win season, but IMO, under certain circumstances, I would actually be more optimistic with that 4 to 7 win season than the two Wild Card seasons under McDaniel. Why, you ask? Am I crazy? Not at all, and here's why.

With this past 11-6 season, I saw a team that even with a bunch of injuries, was in position to get the #1 or at the least the #2 Seed. However, due to questionable playcalling on both offense and defense at times, they consistently lost to good teams. The collapse on both sides of the ball in the final few minutes of the Titans game was historically bad. Even so, they still had chances at the end of the season to win the Division and get the #2 Seed. But, even with some inured players back on the field, they choked and lost their last two regular season games and the Wild Card game. IOW, injuries were IMO NOT the biggest reason why Miami went from a possible #1 Seed to #6 and a once-and-done playoff appearance. Not that Grier built a perfect roster (far from it), but the fact that a team with a bunch of talent and offensive weapons went from a 3 game lead in the Division with 5 games to go with the #1 Seed there for the taking fell all the way to the #6 Seed because they couldn't score when it mattered suggests that McDaniel is the problem, not the players.

Now, let's say that the 4 to 7 win team was coming off a tear-down and starting a rebuild and they had decent coaching/playcalling and were somewhat competitive, but lost because they lacked talent at certain positions and possibly needed some better o-linemen and maybe a better QB. With a good Head Coach (not named McDaniel) and a competent GM (not named Grier), I would have hope that they'd know how to fix the team and make major improvements in order to facilitate future success. However, I have no faith that Grier and McDaniel can build a contender. Grier had a ton of resources at his disposal over the past 5 years and the result is cap issues which will result in talent leaving, and continual issues with the o-line. McDaniel had so much talent on his offense they could have potentially broke scoring records if everything went perfectly, but when defenses disrupted what he wanted to do, the offense struggled because McDaniel was lost when faced with adversity.

IOW, I'll take a rebuilding team with potential any day over a clueless HC and an incompetent GM.

I've seen enough from the players and coaches that a reboot is inevitable in the near future. No need to delay the inevitable. Speed up the reboot if anything. That won't happen but that's what needs to happen.

I voted "Reboot," because "Illusion" is just a longer path to "Reboot," giving you less of a chance, over time, to hit.
While fundamentally correct the "Reboot" offer no guarantee you will get back to same level as the "Illusion" i.e. winning the majority of you games and making playoffs. Could be lots of pain for no gain.

We've tried "Reboot" many times over the past 20-odd years and right now is the best results we've seen over that period. Burn it all down and start again runs the risk of more decades of the same.

FTR: I went for "Other" because options 1 and 2 both suck.

We already blew it up and now we have a very talented team that I believe could win a Super Bowl. But that ain’t happening unless we play some home playoff games
We were 1 win off that this past season. Can put that down to the 4th QTR capitulation to the Titans. If a 4 minute defensive implosion means you have to rebuild the entire franchise then we all need prepare for lots more of them.

We were 1 win off that this past season. Can put that down to the 4th QTR capitulation to the Titans. If a 4 minute defensive implosion means you have to rebuild the entire franchise then we all need prepare for lots more of them.
I think we’re closer than many realize. We lost 4 games that came down to the last play basically.

Back
Top Bottom