Would You Rather | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Rather

Would you rather the fun illusion (choice #1) or the reboot (choice #2)?

• Illusion (explanation below read the post)

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Reboot (explanation below read the post)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • other

Votes: 32 57.1%

• Total voters
I get your point that continuity is key, but you're missing something important. The last time that Miami won a playoff game was under Wannstedt in 2000. Wanny was previously the HC of the Bears, and every single HC since him has been a guy with no experience as an NFL Head Coach (although Saban was a college coach). That in itself isn't so bad, as many experienced and successful Coordinators have become HCs. However, they also have had varying levels of success at the HC position, because some Coordinators are better suited to remain a Coordinator.

That said, the main problem is that under Ross, EVERY new HC he hired was NOT an experienced, successful Coordinator; they were all Coordinators in name only. Not one of them actually ran their offense or defense or called the plays. So, what good is continuity if you keep hiring guys who don't have a clue as to how to run their side of the ball, let alone the whole team? Why waste years on these guys?

Continuity would make perfect sense if Ross would actually hire an ex-HC who has had some success, or at least a successful Coordinator with years of experience running his side of the ball.
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I'm missing much of anything, but to your point, I don't think I agree.

We also haven't been to the playoffs much since Wandstedt and our current coach has gotten us there twice in the last 2 years. You have to actually reach the playoffs to get a win in the playoffs. Why in the world would I blow up a coaching staff that has gotten us to the playoffs the last two years for someone who was fired from somewhere else?

Because McD doesn't have the resume you like, you want to move on from him because of it? Despite "not having a clue"....he seems to be have two successful seasons so far with the last one even improved from the first one. Two years as a head coach and two trips to the playoffs.....not bad for someone who has no clue.

The roster will look different no matter what this year. Retool not rebuild.

As a variation my thinking is Option 1: Stay with current regime, 5% chance to go to the Super Bowl in the next 5 years, or Option 2: Blow it up, even if you get a better GM, you may get a 8% chance to go to the Super Bowl in the next 10 years. Or based on our track record the odds probably get worse.

Really just amazing that a coach who went to the playoffs his first two years as a HC is someone you want to replace.
I didn't say I want to replace him. We have to ride this last year out with him regardless of what anyone thinks. But if next year, more of the same, then yes I would be about replacing him mostly because I 100% want to get rid of Grier. And McDaniel will just be a victim of that change.

I didn't say I want to replace him. We have to ride this last year out with him regardless of what anyone thinks. But if next year, more of the same, then yes I would be about replacing him mostly because I 100% want to get rid of Grier. And McDaniel will just be a victim of that change.
I'm really glad you aren't making these decisions....

There is a reason for this question. But without explaining the reason for the question, which may bias the responses, here are the choices. For the purposes of this question, please answer the survey as the question is stated. Comments are fine for points about these scenarios, like injuries, etc, which I understand. Consider this a larger philosophical question, which actually is an important one with regard to thinking about how the team (front office, owner), will behave this offseason:

#1) Have the next 5 seasons like last year. 75% of the season is great and super fun. Offense is on fire. Games are fun to watch. You think the team has the chance to do something in the post-season. Fans are into it, and the team gets the national attention it has not had in years. Then warts emerge, you cannot beat the good teams, and you limp into the post-season. But still, the whole time you are thinking, they might have a chance, even going into the playoff game. Then they lose, and are out. Small modifier, every subsequent year it gets a little less fun, as you start to realize that although the team is pretty good, it will probably never be good enough to get over the hump. Caveat, and hopefully I can articulate this well. For the purposes of this question, I am making it clear this is a wild card team for 5 years in a row with a first round playoff loss. HOWEVER, I am telling you that you will not know in advance the team will get bounced from the playoffs, and you get to enjoy the illusion for most of the season (although less and less each season), so it is still super fun to somewhat fun, just like last year (although to less of a degree each year).

OR

#2) Blow the thing up, and start all over. You may suck for awhile. You may have a few seasons of 4 to 7 wins. You will know the team has no chance for a few seasons. The games will suck for a few seasons. BUT you have a 10-20% chance of building the type of team that in 3-4 years will win a Super Bowl. Or you have an 80%-90% of getting to the end of that road, and blowing it all up again, which is the story of the Dolphins last 23 years. But at least you have a chance, as opposed to the first option, where you have no chance.

Actually I would take choice 3 and just add talent to an already impressive roster (Unfortunately not there, but see below).

Stay and see real world, see Miami is within fixing insane Injury issue from being the top team in AFC possibly NFL, by just add talent where needed.

the past 24 years???
this team has nothing to do with the past 24 years minus 2... Anyone who takes into account the failures of the last 3 decades to judge the current regime is thinking in an emotional state that just doesn't have any base in reality...

Yeah he didn't mention stats this time but he's a big stat guy.

Anyway don't forget ogbah, 3 / 4ths of our RB room, DL davis most likely gone, Elliot, Wilson ol, hunt, Wynn, vg, Lamm, Jones, berrios, ingram, Wilson wr, Apple as bad as he is, and much more are FAs this year. How many of them can we re sign while signing draft picks and bringing in other FAs?
What is it that you disagreed with in my post?

Back
Top Bottom