Would you take Nebraska DE Randy Gregory? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you take Nebraska DE Randy Gregory?

I honestly think DE is a STRONG possibility at 14 if the right guy is there. After this year, OV is a free agent, Wake will have to restructure or be cut and Shelby is on a one year tender . . . . . which leaves Fede, who I think we all like his potential, but it is a projection at best.

As easy as it is to attempt to fill a need in the draft, it is of more vital importance to draft players with "elite potential", guys who can be game changers and that you can have at the lower rookie contract prices.

We directly filled a need last year with James . . . if we can get one of the best players on the board and it fills a big need, I'm all for it . . . . but you can't pass up top tier talent to fill a need.

Agree, lets try this approach to re shape this roster, although not on board with the particular player.

Will it hurt Gregory? Last year, Timmy Jernigan and Zach Mettenberger plummeted after producing diluted samples in Indy. Didn't even fail...@AlbertBreer

I honestly think DE is a STRONG possibility at 14 if the right guy is there. After this year, OV is a free agent, Wake will have to restructure or be cut and Shelby is on a one year tender . . . . . which leaves Fede, who I think we all like his potential, but it is a projection at best.

As easy as it is to attempt to fill a need in the draft, it is of more vital importance to draft players with "elite potential", guys who can be game changers and that you can have at the lower rookie contract prices.

We directly filled a need last year with James . . . if we can get one of the best players on the board and it fills a big need, I'm all for it . . . . but you can't pass up top tier talent to fill a need.

Very, very good point Kdawg. (I am forever getting you and Ktown mixed up).

I am not saying I want DE as our choice, but, we have exactly one player at the position, cam wake who is legit. one who is a way, way over rated one season wonder in Olivia Vernon and one massive first round bust and 3 maybe they can players.

Should wake retire or go down, that is a big concern. I think Chris McCain can fill that spot and play it as well as wake, but, even if thats true, having one dominant DE isn't enough. As you said, if there is a game changing player staring at us at #14 and that player happens to be a DE, so be it. I can see Hickey making that choice for all the reasons you mentioned.

Again, excellent post.

Apparantely, he "claims" he tried to do that so he stopped smoking in December. You'd figure almost 2 months was enough to get clean for an athlete of his caliber and working up to the combine. . . but maybe he was getting high every night all the time.

Either way, I agree . . . it's not the smoking that bothers me, its the poor decision making of not being more prepared for what he was going to face over the next few months.

If he actually said that, then clearly he's ****ing lying.

whats the combine for? its an opportunity for these kids to display their ability to the NFL, to show what they offer as players and people, to prove themselves in trustworthy ways for teams to take value in you and trust you within and for their organization and pay you for it all.

for a kid to go into the Combine and actually fail a test there when you are supposed to be working and displaying your best. wow... what does this speak of on Gregory?

he also has failed tests and had issues in the past as well.

Not a good sign, but people shouldn't confuse Gregory with Jordan. They're not similar players. Gregory uses his hands and COD as weapons when he rushes the passer. By comparison, how many triple teams did Dion Jordan see at Oregon? Talked about it in the Jordan thread, but Jordan doesn't have top-end explosion or agility. Gregory has elite agility, and he couples it with Aldon-Smith-light hands. As long as he can keep his weight around 250, he's going to be a stud. Beasley, Dupree, and Gregory are all a good deal better than Fowler.

Shaq Riddick is similar, as an athlete, to Gregory, and he should be there at 47. Very underrated player, and he might be the best value at edge rusher in the draft. Miscast as a 5-tech at WVU in 2014, he's still flying under the radar a bit. 1st round talent. Have him in my top 20. There are a lot of great prospects at edge/SLB/DE (less at DE) in this draft. It's the most physically gifted group that I can remember.

Looks like he has an Aldon-Smith-light brain too.

If he actually said that, then clearly he's ****ing lying.

“I blame myself,” Gregory said. “And I know it sounds cliché, but there’s really no one else I can blame.”

The combine has set dates. All the participants know when it is. And yet, somehow players still occasionally fail the drug tests they know await them in Indy.

Gregory says he hasn’t smoked marijuana since December and yet still tested positive because of how high his THC levels were.

There have been cases where people who smoke all day, every day can stay positive for up to 3 months via a urine test. . . . but you figure a guy of his athletic caliber, working out daily A. Wouldn't have the time to be a pot head B. Would work the stuff out of his system in 2 months.

But I also think he's lying . . . and it will probably cost him a few million.

so he said the right things after many instances of this issue..... think about all the players that said stuff like this and continued their ways. Josh Gordon example as one!

its the combine... how come you dont hear issues like this often? because most, i guess, just dont put themselves in this position? they really focus on bettering themselves for the NFL and for their future. this definitely hurts Gregory and his opportunities, and it really would effect me drafting him and trusting him for my organization and for its future!!!

No . If he's dumb enough to smoke knowing there was a drug test coming up and his own money and future were on the line ....

He's clearly a REALLY dumb mother****er. I don't care what his talent is I wouldn't take this moron anywhere near the first OR second round .

Give me a guy with an iq over 70 , a guy who's willing to work and actually cares about his life .

not happening..already deep in DE and DJordan is enough substance abuse to deal with

He couldn't put his bowl down for millions of dollars ? Clearly a real dumb mother****er

[video=youtube;j4XhDpSgHrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XhDpSgHrs[/video]

Hell no for a multitude of reasons. He's extremely overrated. He was owned in the Miami game by LT Ereck Flowers, who isn't the fleetest of foot, so much so that they shifted Gregory to the other side of the defensive line. He's way too light, his playing weight is 220 lbs, I'm not buying the BS weight he added in the couple months prior to the combine. Now there's the failed drug test at the Combine. Ok, so you failed a test, then he LIED about when the last time he smoked weed. He said the last time he smoked was back in December. Weed only stays in your system up to 30 days, not more & if he smoked on the last day of December dlineman took their drug tests in Indy on the 50th day of the Julian calendar. He would be off my board for day 1 & day 2.

Even without the point bust there is just something I don't like about Gregory.

I think he was going to call in the draft and is over rated. Now with the drug issue, he will plummet.

I live in Nebraska and try to watch my Huskers as much as I can. When Suh came out of college, it was a no brainer of the beast he would be. That was one of the very few times I wanted the Fins to trade up and get someone. I thought it was worth it.

With Gregory....do not draft this dude.

Most people I know around here, who watch the games regularly, are confused why Gregory is viewed so highly by NFL scouts/execs. Yes, he is athletic, but the guy disappears in games. The announcers would talk about all the interest from the Sunday boys, but we're watching the games thinking, "well, do something then." All the criticism Clowney got for "taking plays off" should also be applied to Gregory. Sure he has been an okay DE for us, he had a few big splash plays here or there, but overall....not impressed. Someone will take a high flyer on him because of his potential, and maybe then can turn him into something. But as he stands right now, nah I'm good. Fins should look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom