Would you take Nebraska DE Randy Gregory? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you take Nebraska DE Randy Gregory?

In yet beer and alcohol sponsors pays millions to the NFL.

Do you know how many people die from alcohol-related instances? You can count two of my family members when you're tallying...

The NFL is all about money. That's it. Same goes for the government, NCAA, etc. it's all money

Beer and alcohol don't cause deaths...stupid people that drink too much do. It's the same as saying food makes you fat...not in moderation.

I'm sorry for the loss of your family members and alcohol can be dangerous...so can marijuana because it impairs your judgment. There have been plenty of issues in Colorado since they legalized marijuana, similar to drunk drivers and the rest. Regardless, alcohol is legal in all 50 states and marijuana is not. Not to mention that if you were to show up to practice or meetings drunk you'd get fined or suspended by the team and Josh Gordon is about to get suspended for the season because of having too much alcohol when he was getting tested which was a violation of his suspension.

These are the rules...you can choose to follow them or not but know that if you don't there are consequences.

Sure, demonize him while you chug down your liqhe's r, 12 pack of beer, while smokI'mg your cigarette and drinking your coffee. Marijuana is no different than any of the aforementioned. I hate that we live in a time where people (many on this board) think differently.

I won't even begin to argue how marijuana is actually more beneficial than alcohol and other legal substances.

People need to wake up and get over their parents' out-dated and misinformed ways of thinking.

None of them are "beneficial". Professional sports is a highly competitive big money business and the draft is a high stakes game of probability and risk. When you are a front office guy/coach and your livelihood depends on team success, it is incumbent upon you to weigh the risk/benefit of every prospective player on your team.
Substance abuse of any kind, including chain smoking cigarettes shifts the risk/benefit ratio in the wrong direction.
While i think you are misinformed regarding the use of marijuana, there is a difference between an occasional recreational user and a habitual user. 6% of regular users can become addicted. Likewise, most social drinkers do not become alcoholics.
I wouldnt want a chain smoker or alcoholic on my team either.
Furthermore, marijuana does slow reaction time and does produce apathy. Not exactly the characteristics I'm looking for in a highly competitive business like the NFL.
There is NO benefit for a young athlete to use marijuana, especially if he's looking for a competitive edge.

Even without the point bust there is just something I don't like about Gregory.

I think he was going to call in the draft and is over rated. Now with the drug issue, he will plummet.

Bud Dupree is a guy i would take all day and night over Gregory. Like corners, you can't have enough pass rushers in today's nfl but, we have players at the position and have bigger holes elsewhere. But if they do decide to stock up on pass rush, Dupree would look great in a fins uni.

I have Dupree rated higher than Gregory, but only by one slot, and they're both in the top 10. I don't know enough about Gregory as a person to judge one way or another on this incident. It certainly isn't good, but I doubt anyone here knows Gregory well enough to say whether or not this will be a chronic (*cough*) problem. T. Flowers from Arkansas isn't getting enough love. I'd take him over Fowler 10 out of 10 times. If Frank Clark gets his **** together, he could be as good as anyone. Shaq Riddick and Odighizuwa are also legit studs (in the group right behind Beasley, Dupree, and Gregory). In a perfect world, I'd draft Carl Davis at 14 and Shaq Riddick at 47. I think that's your best bang for your buck on D - barring a late round flier on Frank Clark (who seems to be a very serious character risk).

Sure, demonize him while you chug down your liquor, 12 pack of beer, while smoking your cigarette and drinking your coffee. Marijuana is no different than any of the aforementioned. I hate that we live in a time where people (many on this board) think differently.

I won't even begin to argue how marijuana is actually more beneficial than alcohol and other legal substances.

People need to wake up and get over their parents' out-dated and misinformed ways of thinking.
Way to completely miss the point.

I don't think anyone cares that he smokes pot. I know I don't.
I care about him not giving enough of a damn to know when to stop when
it would affect his life. I feel the same way about booze, caffine, or any
other drug/activity/substance that would affect your life negatively.

Bottom line is he could not control his use of a substance that is banned
by his potential employer.

I would feel the same way if he showed up drunk.

You have to know when to stop.

In yet beer and alcohol sponsors pays millions to the NFL.

Do you know how many people die from alcohol-related instances? You can count two of my family members when you're tallying...

The NFL is all about money. That's it. Same goes for the government, NCAA, etc. it's all money
An employer is free to set rules in the workplace.

I don't care what their motivations are. The rules are there.
He chose not to follow them.

Way to completely miss the point.

I don't think anyone cares that he smokes pot. I know I don't.
I care about him not giving enough of a damn to know when to stop when
it would affect his life. I feel the same way about booze, caffine, or any
other drug/activity/substance that would affect your life negatively.

Bottom line is he could not control his use of a substance that is banned
by his potential employer.

I would feel the same way if he showed up drunk.

You have to know when to stop.

He didn't show up high.. He tested positive on a test..

An employer is free to set rules in the workplace.

I don't care what their motivations are. The rules are there.
He chose not to follow them.

He is not in the workplace when he's consuming marijuana. His use is irrelevant to the workplace.

You don't get it.

He shouldnt have to live a certain way just because it's the way it is. If we always thought this way, we would still be segregated. Think outside your small little boxes that you've been trapped in for far too long.

What he does away from football should not matter so long as he is not intruding on anyone else. Simple liberty is all I ask.

Jesus Christ, did you just compare a company not allowing employees to smoke pot, which is still federally illegal, to segregation? :bobdole: I fully support legalization, but that is so absurd that it might actually pose more harm to the cause than good.

Nobody is forcing him to play in the NFL. If smoking pot is that important to him, I'm sure he paid enough attention in school to get another good career that doesn't give a **** :lol:

And guess what, even if it is rightfully legalized, the NFL still isn't obligated to allow their players to smoke it. That's between the league and the NFLPA to sort out.

He is not in the workplace when he's consuming marijuana. His use is irrelevant to the workplace.

It is not.

The employer does not allow employees to smoke pot.

The representetives of the players have collectively bargained the workplace
rules. He is in violation of them.

Simple rules.

He can't follow them.

He didn't show up high.. He tested positive on a test..

Which is violation of the workplace rules of his potential employer.

If he can't show up clean to the combine, that indicates to me he is either

-Too stupid to show up clean

-Does not care enough about his career to show up clean

Either one does not reflect well upon him.
Can you not get that?

There are two questions here. Would I draft Gregory? Would I draft him at 14? The answer to the first is "certainly", in the right place. The second part is maybe, unless there was a better fit for us or someone wanted to trade in. Considering end isn't a need, and considering he's a smaller end, I think he's not a great fit for Miami. I'm almost positive someone would trade up to 14 for him though.

I doubt that you have ever been in an executive position or mangerial position that requires any significant level of acountability.
You are also very misinformed regarding chronic and habitual use of marijuana and your voting down of my previous post is evidence of that.

If this team drafts another 34 olb to play de in a 43 they should fire the entire staff

Randy Gregory screams Dion Jordan. I thought it was just on-field...but off the field I sense he has the same judgment and personality issues. I don't think I'd use a first round pick on Gregory regardless of team.

When you have a toolsy guy he only becomes something if he has the right attitude. If he's toolsy with a bad attitude odds are damn high he'll never reach his ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom