WOW, O-line now could be our strength | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WOW, O-line now could be our strength

IF anyone deserves a nice contract, it's Jake. He's worked his ass off ever since he's gotten here and has been the anchor of our line for years! Granted, he's had some "knicks" but nothing major and nothing that's kept him out for an extended part of the season. He's just reaching his prime too. I have a feeling his extension will get done...and it doesn't have to be particularly "insane".
That's all well and good that he's worked his ass off, but that hasn't meant anything in the win column. I have no problem with not signing him to a contract now and letting him hit the market if he doesn't agree to a reasonable contract. If somebody wants to shell out crazy amounts of money for a lineman, so be it. That money could be better spent on a position that actually scores points (or stops them from being scored). Joe Thomas type of money? No way.

And I fail to see how a torn bicep, amongst other injuries, counts as a "nick." He played injured through a lot of last season and the season before, and it showed.

He was very average last year and the health problems have dragged on for two years now. Negotiate a good contract or give him the frantise tag next year and start looking for a replacement.

That's all well and good that he's worked his ass off, but that hasn't meant anything in the win column. I have no problem with not signing him to a contract now and letting him hit the market if he doesn't agree to a reasonable contract. If somebody wants to shell out crazy amounts of money for a lineman, so be it. That money could be better spent on a position that actually scores points (or stops them from being scored). Joe Thomas type of money? No way.

And I fail to see how a torn bicep, amongst other injuries, counts as a "nick." He played injured through a lot of last season and the season before, and it showed.

And expose Tannehill's blindside for the next several years? :lol: That'd be the worst for his development! Look, I understand he hasn't equated to W's or whatever, but what lineman does? Hell, what one player during the Sparano era ever amounted to wins? In my opinion, if we want wins during the next 5-10 years, we've GOTTA solidify the line and keep it consistent, something Mr OLine guru failed to do.

We just can't let the anchor of our line walk just because we can't reach a reasonable contract for him...and to be honest, it might not even take Joe Thomas type money. Furthermore, yes, he's been injured a few times but it happens when you're in the trenches. You've gotta be one lucky mofo not to take some dings when you're in there. For all the bumps he's taken missing only two starts in his 4 years here is pretty damn impressive for the type of work he's put in. This is why I'd be surprised if we didn't get a contract done for him ASAP.

if we dont resign Long, we'll be drafting someone cornfed within the top 5 picks in 2-3 years, guaranteed. With a better team around him to accentuate his talents, Long is a perennial All-Pro, not just a Pro Bowler. I think the recent injuries will help us get him at a slight discount, need to wrap him up ASAP. Franchising him would be short sighted, not to mention that would cost us about 13,000,000/yr when we should be able to sign him long term for about 10 mil/yr.

And expose Tannehill's blindside for the next several years? :lol: That'd be the worst for his development! Look, I understand he hasn't equated to W's or whatever, but what lineman does? Hell, what one player during the Sparano era ever amounted to wins? In my opinion, if we want wins during the next 5-10 years, we've GOTTA solidify the line and keep it consistent, something Mr OLine guru failed to do.

We just can't let the anchor of our line walk just because we can't reach a reasonable contract for him...and to be honest, it might not even take Joe Thomas type money. Furthermore, yes, he's been injured a few times but it happens when you're in the trenches. You've gotta be one lucky mofo not to take some dings when you're in there. For all the bumps he's taken missing only two starts in his 4 years here is pretty damn impressive for the type of work he's put in. This is why I'd be surprised if we didn't get a contract done for him ASAP.
:rolleyes2: Yes, that's exactly what I'm proposing, not replacing Long with anybody. To save money, we can just put 10 guys out there with nobody at all playing LT. Nailed it. They just drafted a very good tackle and it's silly to think they aren't preparing for the possibility that Long leaves. Hell, if they aren't, it totally negates the good draft Ireland just had (more to being a GM than drafting). Martin will have a full year (maybe more if Long is franchised) under his belt before having to be moved over. It's really not that difficult to find new RTs that aren't Colombo. There is simply no logical reason for a lineman, even an elite lineman, to be eating up that much cap. None, regardless what that inspirational movie has annoyingly convinced everybody of (I'd still :hump: Sandra Bullock though).

Regarding the injury, again, I fail to see how a torn bicep is a "ding" or a "bump." He was placed on IR for it (I would say at the end of the season, but it doesn't matter because a 7-9 season doesn't matter in the first place). He's played injured and his performance has suffered for it, especially last year. And that's not even mentioning the knee injury caused by Morono keeping him in a preseason. Can't believe anybody wanted to keep that schmuck around.

IF anyone deserves a nice contract, it's Jake. He's worked his ass off ever since he's gotten here and has been the anchor of our line for years! Granted, he's had some "knicks" but nothing major and nothing that's kept him out for an extended part of the season. He's just reaching his prime too. I have a feeling his extension will get done...and it doesn't have to be particularly "insane".

He was also made the highest paid lineman ever before he even played a down. You can't tie much space in a LT not in todays NFL!

:rolleyes2: Yes, that's exactly what I'm proposing, not replacing Long with anybody. To save money, we can just put 10 guys out there with nobody at all playing LT. Nailed it. They just drafted a very good tackle and it's silly to think they aren't preparing for the possibility that Long leaves. Hell, if they aren't, it totally negates the good draft Ireland just had (more to being a GM than drafting). Martin will have a full year (maybe more if Long is franchised) under his belt before having to be moved over. It's really not that difficult to find new RTs that aren't Colombo. There is simply no logical reason for a lineman, even an elite lineman, to be eating up that much cap. None, regardless what that inspirational movie has annoyingly convinced everybody of (I'd still :hump: Sandra Bullock though).

Regarding the injury, again, I fail to see how a torn bicep is a "ding" or a "bump." He was placed on IR for it (I would say at the end of the season, but it doesn't matter because a 7-9 season doesn't matter in the first place). He's played injured and his performance has suffered for it, especially last year. And that's not even mentioning the knee injury caused by Morono keeping him in a preseason. Can't believe anybody wanted to keep that schmuck around.

If he is recovered from that arm injury, though, it's gotta be a top priority for Ireland to get him resigned, IMO....agree to disagree I guess, but I agree with that part! Oh, and I'm sure Philbin will be much smarter when it comes to those situations than Sparano ever was. Who the hell coined him OL guru in the first place? :idk:

He was also made the highest paid lineman ever before he even played a down. You can't tie much space in a LT not in todays NFL!

Well, to be honest, a lot of that had to do with being the overall top pick BEFORE the current CBA. Gone are the days of heavy bloated draftee contracts for the top picks. Either way, I'm hopeful something can be worked out to keep Long a Miami Dolphin while not tying up crazy amounts of money from our cap.

If he is recovered from that arm injury, though, it's gotta be a top priority for Ireland to get him resigned, IMO....agree to disagree I guess, but I agree with that part! Oh, and I'm sure Philbin will be much smarter when it comes to those situations than Sparano ever was. Who the hell coined him OL guru in the first place? :idk:
Absolutely, for a reasonable price. I think you and I will differ greatly on what is qualifies as reasonable though. A solid line is important. It doesn't cost a ton to build a solid line. But if somebody else wants to drop a quarter of their cap on him, all the power to them. I'm betting that team isn't a competitor.

I really think it would be idiotic of our coaching staff to let him get out of Miami. I mean c'mon man we are JUST getting some semblance of a stout O-line. IMO we can not let him get away from us. This is the new Dolphins, and you'd be lying if you say you don't feel some difference in approach and style of this new group. I think Long is DEFINITELY a big part of the new Phins.

Pending a serious injury, Long will be resigned. Philbin has gone on record saying LT is one of if not THE most important position on the field outside of a QB... He also loves Long's play and athletic ability.

I wouldnt mind giving him a replica of Joe Thomas' contract (7yr, 88mill, 44mill garenteed), because in a way, it really isn't Joe Thomas money, the salary cap goes up each year (inflation)... Now if Long is asking for significantly more money then Joe Thomas then thats a different story.

getting rid of Long, is like dumping the head cheerleader with D cups, killer dumper and a soft mouth for some flag squad reject with dandruf, braces, bottle cap glasses and a deviated septum.

Colombo sucked but let's not forget that Moore and Henne sacked themselves plenty of times. Those two probably delivered more sacks than our defense.

Back
Top Bottom