WOW!! Tour De France News | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WOW!! Tour De France News

I have been watching some of stages on the OLN network. Al Trautwig does a decent play-by-call of the guys in the peleton. :lol: I just hope another American can win it to upset the Frenchies.

Looks like it's Landis' year! After L'Alpe d'Huez, he leads his main rivals by more than 2 minutes. Almost everyone that leads after this stage ends up winning the Tour. Anyway, there are two more mountain stages left in the next two days, and this will be the last chance for someone to overtake him!

Good luck Landis!

ckb2001 said:
Looks like it's Landis' year! After L'Alpe d'Huez, he leads his main rivals by more than 2 minutes. Almost everyone that leads after this stage ends up winning the Tour. Anyway, there are two more mountain stages left in the next two days, and this will be the last chance for someone to overtake him!

Good luck Landis!

Yea today felt like an old Armstrong vs. Ulrich battle between Landis and Kloden. Kloden seemed as if he wanted to make a move, but Landis stayed right with him and Kloden is still more than 2 minutes behind him. I think he will probably get up for second, but it will be tuff to catch Landis now. Would be amazing to have another american win the tour with only Armstrong and Lemond being the other 2 Americans to do so.

What will happen next year though if Landis can't compete after hip surgery? Of course, he could make a great recovery and try for a repeat. I guess without him, our best chance is Leipheimer, who could have been up in the top 3 by now if he didn't totally mess up on the time trial. Thing is, it's possible Ullrich may end his career and Basso may get a multi-year ban for doping, meaning the two most likely successors are still probably gone.

(It must suck if you're Ullrich, eh? You win once in 1997, everyone hails your talent, saying you could be the next Indurain and win 3-5 Tours, and then comes this guy Armstrong and puts you in perpetual 2nd place (or worse)!! Then, the year Mr. Nemesis retires, you can't compete because of doping allegations!!)

Today's stage was a fun stage to watch. It was full of excitement.

ckb2001 said:
(It must suck if you're Ullrich, eh? You win once in 1997, everyone hails your talent, saying you could be the next Indurain and win 3-5 Tours, and then comes this guy Armstrong and puts you in perpetual 2nd place (or worse)!! Then, the year Mr. Nemesis retires, you can't compete because of doping allegations!!)

Yea it always seems like a rider goes on streaks in the Tour De France. I used to love Indurains style tho. He hardly never got up off his seat, he would mow people down while sitting down on the bike, was crazy. Armstrong would move ahead, take a look back like "Yea ure finished" and just pull away. Ulrich got crazy love in Germany after he won, and is like there great hope to keep winning, every year he was gonna win according to Germans, and Armstrong just dominated each time. And people question ARmstrong getting "Sportsman of the year" every year . . he deserves it.

ckb2001 said:
What will happen next year though if Landis can't compete after hip surgery? Of course, he could make a great recovery and try for a repeat. I guess without him, our best chance is Leipheimer, who could have been up in the top 3 by now if he didn't totally mess up on the time trial.

I thought Jullich was gonna be great, but I guess he has had alot of bad luck in this tour, now he's getting older, his time may have passed.

Kdawg954 said:
I thought Jullich was gonna be great, but I guess he has had alot of bad luck in this tour, now he's getting older, his time may have passed.

Julich of 3-5 years ago could win this year's tour. I also think his time has passed.

Armstrong strikes back..
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/19/sports/othersports/19lance.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

He claims the doping scandal before this Tour “never would have happened on our watch,” to Jean-Marie Leblanc, the Tour’s director. At the presentation of this year’s route, Leblanc said that the Tour was looking forward to an era without the domination of a single rider, alluding to Armstrong.

The latest on Armstrong doping allegations is a Dutch investigator's findings that clears Armstrong of accusations by the French daily L'Equipe:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/05/31/sports/s045357D78.DTL

This was of course the same report to which Tour director Leblanc stated: "For the first time _ and these are no longer rumors, or insinuations, these are proven scientific facts _ someone has shown me that in 1999, Armstrong had a banned substance called EPO in his body,"
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/8748.0.html

Well, who knows the truth, but it's interesting to observe this from afar!

What a disappointment!! What happened today? Landis now 8 minutes behind and probably out of it. :(

What a performance from Landis . . this guy has tons of heart, one of the most memorable performances in Tour De France history. He is definetly back in it, especially w/ a very important time trial comming up.

Kdawg954 said:
What a performance from Landis . . this guy has tons of heart, one of the most memorable performances in Tour De France history. He is definetly back in it, especially w/ a very important time trial comming up.

:yeahthat:

I didn't even watch it today because I had written him off. I couldn't imagine yesterday was a bluff of some sort (who knows whether it was, but losing 8 minutes this late in the game I thought couldn't be considered a bluff).

Then, out of curiosity I check ESPN and WOW!! Man, I hope he makes it!

ckb2001 said:
:yeahthat:

I didn't even watch it today because I had written him off. I couldn't imagine yesterday was a bluff of some sort (who knows whether it was, but losing 8 minutes this late in the game I thought couldn't be considered a bluff).

Then, out of curiosity I check ESPN and WOW!! Man, I hope he makes it!

Yea I had to work all day yesterday so I couldn't watch, I was in shock when I came home that he fell so much, but what a way to rebound.

Wow man Floyd Landis just wrote himself into the Tours history books forever. What a incredible performance today. I can't remember cheering so often during a Tour de France race before. All of the times Armstrong was dominating I never got this excited!

:1st: Landis wins the Tour de France!! (well, he needs one more stage to do it, but that's just a formality). :D

Back
Top Bottom