WVDolphan's Get Real - Jeff Ireland "Like a Boss" | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's Get Real - Jeff Ireland "Like a Boss"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree regarding Vernon. A mid round pick with a ton of upside who actually showed that promise on the field (unlike Egnew). You can't have enough pass rushers. A healthy rotation of them on the field at all times is a QB's nightmare.

The nice thing about Jordan is that his ceiling is sky high. Unlike players like Werner, who is "what you see is what you get," this guy has a legitimate shot to develop into an Aldon Smith type player. I've been ranting about needing playmakers for the past year and a half (longer, but that was mixed in with needing a QB and competent coach more than anything), and he certainly got one.

I absolutely agree that we need some more depth, but that's what mid-to-late rounders are for, not to mention post-draft free agency.
Not to mention the guy is a special teams stud. Their are a TON of teams who would happily trade who they got with their pick in that round for Vernon who at the very least is a quality back-up (guys do get hurt in this league) and a special teams stud.

some people have to go from one extreme to another . I care about one thing if we put a winning product on the field. If we make playoffs or have a winning record then I will feel we did a great job if we are 8-8 or below then Im happy with getting a new GM.
You go back to 2009 draft Im sure there were some excited fans around the country with the selections of Aaron Curry, MArk Sanchez, Tyson Jackson, JAson Smith and Aaron maybin.

I just find it ridiculous we get threads like this and he hasn't won anything yet and those who don't see highly of him have been made out to be blubbering fools. We're thought to be the irrational ones wanting him gone, but yet he's been designated the best GM over the past few years without even posting a winning record since Parcells left. We'll see at the end of the season.

If he doesn't extend Jones before the season he's still an idiot. If he trades a second for Albert and pays him like a king he's still an idiot.

If he would have traded up for Lane Johnson last night he would still be an idiot. Thank **** he didn't but its illogical to say: if he's not an idiot then he must be a genius.

So WV, how does the 2nd day show that "Ireland gets it?"

Thats right. Jeff Ireland has been nothing short of the best GM in the league over the last couple of sesaon..

I don't know if you can say he's the best outright but I would say he's at least in a 3 way tie with the 49ers and Ravens for the three best managed teams.

Day 2 brought some mixed emotions for me.........

1) I LOVE the Jamar Taylor pick. I think we may have drafted ourselves a solid starting CB for years to come. Hopefully he steps up and takes a starting role and performs so well that we may or may not have to resign Grimes after the season if Grimes dosent return to top form.

2) The third round bothered me on a few levels. First let me say I have no clue about the Will Davis pick. I simply dont know anything about this player other than reading stats and opinions from other so called experts. Im not going to make judgements about a player like that who I never saw play. I havent even so much as "put the tape on" of this kid. That wouldnt matter as much though. I never saw a Utah St game and watched the kid play. Occasionally I will see some of these lesser known teams during the year if they play some kind of night game and I happen to have it on. If that happens and someone mentions a player being a pro prospect, I would keep an eye on him as the game is played. But, this never happened for me this year so I honestly have no idea about him. Hopefully he is a flat out stud. You really never know. There have been very good CBs emerge like this before so lets hope this is the case with Will Davis.

3) The cornfed pick really upset me. Again, I dont know a lot about this player. He started at UT and apparently at LT, so he has to have some talent. Whether or not it translates to the NFL we will see. Hopefully, he at least will be useful and at a minimum we added depth to our G position. I see most are suggesting he will play G in the NFL. Perhaps he can challenge Jerry for a starting spot. Maybe he blossoms and can take over the LG role for us in the future. We will see.

The major issues I have are the way it broke down. First the LT that everyone seemed to think had borderline first round talent and could actually play LT in the NFL goes 2 picks ahead of us and we still go cornfed. Then a few picks later, with Stedman Bailey still on the board, we trade back. Then we wait until Bailey comes off the board and trade back up one spot behind to get Davis. This made no sense to me on several levels.......

First of all, why not trade out of that first 3rd rounder and keep the other to take Bailey?
Was anyone going to nab that cornfed before our next pick?
Was Davis going to go before we picked again in round 4? I suppose so since we traded back up to get him.... BUT,
How much did we actually gain by moving out of our 2nd spot in that round and trading back up a few spots later? Id like to see the breakdown of that. Did we actually gain anything or did we lose ground by doing that?

But, the biggest problem was simply the fact we passed on Bailey. St Louis has the most impressive draft so far IMHO. Perhaps Cinci who has also done a great job. But, just watch Bailey outperform Austin in St. Louis just like he did at WVU. I wont use the word OUTSHINE because I think its possible that again Austin will make more highlight reel plays, but its possible he dosent in the NFL. But, overall production Bailey will still have more and its also possible he winds up with just as many highlight plays with the level of competition being tougher for them in the NFL.

Basically St Louis lost Amendola and replaced him with Austin and they lose Gibson and replace him with Bailey. Huge upgrades for St Louis, especially Bailey for Gibson. They may lose WPA, but they will get their TDs up. Bailey is going to be a stud in the league.

I just dont get how we addressed the WR problem we had so much. We retain Hartline, swap Bess for Gibson which is a bit of an upgrade, and add a stud in Wallace. But, is that really enough? I dont think so. We needed another stud and Bailey was right there to do the job.

Overall I still think its been a solid draft for us but, not getting Bailey is a huge let down for me. We added the best defensive player on the board and he is a huge game changer so Im still really excited about that, but we still need another great WR. I see a couple of decent guys on the board still, but none who I feel could be a star in this league like Bailey. We dont need role players, I can live with Matthews for that. We need IMPACT players. Guys who are top level of the NFL. Thats what I feel Bailey can be. Thats why Im let down.

However, the reason Im still overall very pleased with this draft because we went and did what needed to be done by getting an IMPACT player in Dion Jordan. Not settling for the mediocre, the quality starter, the cornfed, and making the aggressive move to go up and get a game changer. We still need Tannehill to develope into a top tier QB and we still need to add a couple of more players who fall into the category of impact player who is near the top of the league at his position in order to really make championship runs.

More good stuff WV. I think right or wrong, it's obvious they didn't have Bailey as high on their board as most of us fans. Also, reading the tea leaves, in not picking a WR through the third, and trading Bess I think it's fair to say they think they have something in Rishard Matthews. He looked good to most of us in the action he saw last year, so IMHO he's going to be in the mix. I still think will grab a guy like Swope, or Conner Vernon today, but if Matthews is a player we are in decent shape at WR. Bailey would have been nice in my eyes though....

I like the versitility of the "corned" and the fact the he was successful startinging at 3 positions in 3 years in the SEC.

I like the versitility of the "corned" and the fact the he was successful startinging at 3 positions in 3 years in the SEC.

Thats why I would use a pick on Barrett Jones from Bama. Tough as nails and could potentiall start at all 3 interior positions in the NFL.

I give props to Ireland for picking Jordan in rd 1. But let's not sugar coat day 2, it was a complete ****ing deabacle! It WREAKED of desperation and panic.

Miami can still redeem themselves if they happen to pick up Mark Harrison, Dennis Johnson, Devin Taylor, etc. But considering we didn't go after guys like Watson, Bailey and Armstead within reach? I have absolutely no faith in Jeff Ireland. He can suck a bag of dicks for all I care.

I admit Day 2 really didn't do anything for me. But I do see the purpose of each pick. I thought there were obvious picks we should have made in the 3rd. And I think we may have gotten to cute in the 3rd.

I've always hoped we could turn our late round picks into more mid round picks. And I believe that was the net effect of the Round 3.

I've been trying to figure out how Coyle views CBs. It seems we've drafted two very fast cover guys that draw reviews of "staying in the hip pocket" of the WRs. After looking at our offseason and the Jordan pick, it leads me to believe Coyle was the CBs to blanket the WRs while the Front 7 attack the QB. The point of attack seems to be 3 - 5 steps behind the offensive line. Producing INTs through Sacks. It doesn't seem he likes risk taking CBs. He doesn't want attitude on the corners. He wants discipline. And it seems he is wanting to funnel the opposing offense to the middle of the field.

I might be wrong, but it seems we are not just trying to find starters, we are also wanting to fill as many positions with drafted players as possible. I really got the feel we are not reaching to make a player fit a position. I think they are drafting guys they know will be on the roster in years to come. Thomas is a good example. He's got a ton of flexibility. And I wouldn't be surprised if we draft WV's suggestion of Barret Jones.

We have a lot of guys on 1 year deals or 1 year remaining deals. Some of our picks are going to ignore an immediate hole to fill a hole next year. This is why I don't think they are reaching. I think they are being flexible to target the best player to fill an immediate or future need instead of trying to fill all of our immediate needs.

Not Best Player Available.... Best Position Available.

Just my 3 cents.

I agree with you that we should have addressed WR yesterday and Bailey at #82 would have been a flat steal. We were stupid. Hate to say it, but Jeff Fisher hit it out of the park there. Those two guys from WV will make his limp dick QB look good.

And what I've read from guys like Walrus and hoops on Will Davis is not encouraging...

... but I think Kevin Coyle's history of evaluating and working with defensive backs gives me reason to believe that maybe this could wind up being a good pick. I'm wait and see on this.

Thats why I would use a pick on Barrett Jones from Bama. Tough as nails and could potentiall start at all 3 interior positions in the NFL.

was just discussing this very scenario on the VIP chat....

for what its worth... based off slimms round values, we got everybody in the round slimm had them graded in, except thomas, who he had a fourth round grade on... I really trust his judgement... so I was happy to see that.

First impression: the Jordan pick is an admission on the part of Ireland that the Odrick/Misi draft pick moves were an utter failure. Odrick was supposed to be the elite pass rusher lining up on the other end of the line from Wake. The fact that Ireland has had to address this position again after just a couple of years shows how bad the Odrick pick turned out to be.

Second impression: Jordan may be good, very good. Let's let him play a few games before we declare him to be in the same league as Jason Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom