WVDolphan's Get Real - Jeff Ireland "Like a Boss" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's Get Real - Jeff Ireland "Like a Boss"

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a good read, What a good pick, GO MIAMI. Lets do it again tonight.

Good Post, but saying Dion Jordan is as much of a playmaker on defense as Tavon Austin is on offense is a bit of a stretch IMO. Austin had 114 catches for 1,289 yards and 12 td's, 643 rushing yards and 3 td's, and 2 return TD's. I really like Dion Jordan but he is not That kind of playmaker.

Agree with most of this and love the enthusiasm, but still can't say I love the Brandon Marshall trade. Even if this receiving group is good next year (we have yet to see), Marshall is arguably better.
Also - and not to sound like a pessimist bc I love the offseason and I love the Jordan pick - but if our corners suck next year and Dion Jordan only plays on third downs and doesnt have an impact, I will continue to hate the Vontae Davis trade.

In perspective, I like Jordan and am happy we had the second to move up (thank you Vontae). Never going to like the Marshall trade though. I know a lot of people couldnt wait to see him go, but he's the best receiver we've had for a long time, and was in his prime.

In terms of the secondary, one could argue that the players who were signed last season could still be the correct fit. Perhaps they will flourish with the tremendous upgrades Ireland has made to our front 7 in terms of speed, pass rushing, and playmaking ability.

IMHO a healthy Grimes is a huge upgrade to the starting CBs we have rolled out like Vontae and S Smith. Lets give last years FA pickups a chance to perform with more heat on the QB this year. I still want to draft at least one CB tonight whether its Herbal Badger, Slay, Alford or one of the other quality prospects.

Patiently waiting for a Dlockz counter.....I get the feeling it might not come.

Except he did go after Orton. Ross squashed the trade.

Let's just settle on what Jeff Ireland really is. He is a servant who does what his HC asks. He goes and gets the groceries. If your Head Chef asks for cheap ingredients, you'll get a terrible meal. What's more, if that Head Chef doesn't know how to cook, buying all the best ingredients won't offset that.

Ireland has made some solid transactions. This could be another very good draft. That's how you build a team. You use free agency for the pieces you can't acquire through the draft.

At worst, Ireland is really, really good at doing what he's asked to do. He's dealing with superb confidence now that he has good talent evaluators around him.

I have to admit that Ireland did well yesterday. I can't argue with what we did to Oakland. However, don't get all hot and bothered just yet. Ireland may still **** it all up by getting Albert. I am still not really impressed with the linebacker moves and the OL is still pathetic. And yesterday is another indication that last year's draft of Vernon wasn't so great after all; unless the plan is to let Wake go next year...which I am not down with.

This team is also very THIN...one or two injuries will leave massive holes in this team...

You still dont get it. OL isnt a priority anymore. Youre still thinking of Parcells and Sparano. Why are you so worried about the OL?

Why is the Jordan pick an indication of Vernon's ability? Get real. Why would it suggest Vernon isnt good just because we took the best defensive playmaker in the draft? Also, youre just now figuring out that Wake is getting near his decline? He is in his 30s.

Youre not impressed with the linebacker moves? Well damn we should be worried now. Youre lost if you think those moves werent solid.

Were "thin" huh. What team isnt thin? This isnt 1981 where you build up solid teams and have depth at every spot. Every team has so called "holes" even championship teams. Very few teams have depth in any more than a couple of spots. This team has the best QB depth in the league. One or two key injuries will derail any team in the league.

Dude, you have been one of the heaviest Ireland critics. The fact is, you simply have no idea whats going on. Your sig with Ireland that says "you cant fix stupid".......... well.

No to the badger! Philhin wants charachter guys. Every scouting report I've read about Jordan states that he works hard and gas a relentless motor. This us Ireland doing a superb job, drafting in conjunction with the HC

Great Post. Several posts have mentioned that they still aren't sure the Vontae trade was a good one. If Indy called and offered Vontae back to us for the same second we gave them last year would you take it? I sure wouldn't. A second round pick for Vontae last year was a very good deal. If we use our second on a CB tonight, I would sure like to believe the player picked will provide better performance in the long run that Vontae provided Miami.

Great post WV!!!! As a long time Ireland fan I get tired of people continually bashing him. And no he has not had 5 years - he took over in 2010. He did not have final say when BP was here and anyone thinking he did is nuts. I think Ireland has been knocking the cover off the ball for the past couple of drafts. I posted on another thread earlier that I was not crazy about the Pouncey pick at first, but now he may be the best center in the NFL. Ireland could have crumbled under media and fan pressure and gone after Kyle Orton or Matt Flynn last year, but he stuck to his guns. Last night he could have panicked and gone after Lane Johnson, like every so called "expert" expected him to and he didn't. (Maybe that's why he is a GM and the "experts" are not). He went out and got a coach who was his guy in Philbin, he got his guy at QB in Tannehill and he has quickly built a young, fast and aggressive team around both of them. He is not going to hit on every prospect, nobody does, but it is time Ireland starts to get praised for the job he has done.

Too be fair, he did go after Orton and the trade was shot down by Ross. But hey, nobody bats 1.000.

Look guys, I'm not trying to play Debbie Downer here, but let's not act like the criticism of Ireland wasn't at least somewhat warranted. This was definitely a good move, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about this. I'm not crapping on this move at all, but let's hold on a second before crowning the guy Jesus.

Yea Val, it WAS warranted. He was part of the Parcells/Sparano disaster so his hand was in it. He exhibited some symptoms of Parcellsitis. But, he has been cured for a while now. Ireland brought the vaccinations to the building.

Stop hating. Stop bringing up old ****. Stop being cautionsly optimistic. The future is bright. Step on board the playmaker express. Train starts rolling in September. Hop on board while you can. Engineer Jeff Ireland is blowing the whistle.

Finally, what a great job Ireland and the whole team did of not letting this cat out of the bag. None of the so called "experts" or "gurus" had a clue we were going to take Jordan. Those guys completely whiffed. This is why I find mock drafts and such silly anyway. If you want to analyze the players thats great, but speculating on who is going where is pretty much nonsense outside of the first couple of picks. Too many things can happen.

No truer words have been posted on this site. Mock drafts are worthless. Worthless. I can't believe so many smart people fixate on them.

Whenever I see a thread on a mock draft I click elsewhere and wonder why they are allowed. Seriously, if valuable threads are merged why are we forced to wade through so many moronic threads on mock drafts? I don't care who the source is. They are equally uninformed and baseless. Every mock draft thread should be merged. Then when you open the thread the Monty Python theme song should play in the background, as a hint to the absurdity of what you are reading.

Mocks were always overrated. With the new salary cap realities, influencing so many first round trades, they lost whatever minor value they once had.

The posters who obsess over mocks would invest their time exponentially more wisely, and more helpfully, if they analyzed and capsuled each player, in relation to others and with an estimate of what range they might be drafted.

I concede I didn't wise up until I was in my mid 20s. Prior to that I was just as brainwashed toward mock drafts as anyone else. My final two years at USC I had my mock first round published in the Daily Trojan, front and center on the first page of sports, with a long accompanying article. And no, I wasn't particularly accurate outside the first handful of picks. My friends let me know about it. Before I attained that position I did mocks for my own amusement, and considered making copies and placing them on trees all over campus. But I decided that would be going out on a limb.

Oh brother. That's actually a recycled line from my final mock draft column in the Daily Trojan. I actually had a professor who liked it. :chuckle:

Great Post. Several posts have mentioned that they still aren't sure the Vontae trade was a good one. If Indy called and offered Vontae back to us for the same second we gave them last year would you take it? I sure wouldn't. A second round pick for Vontae last year was a very good deal. If we use our second on a CB tonight, I would sure like to believe the player picked will provide better performance in the long run that Vontae provided Miami.

Nope I wouldn't want V Davis back. He's too immature IMO. Plus there's only one way to get rid of the Tuna's stench from this franchise.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I should think, WV. How 'bout I just wait and see how the rest of this draft shakes out and how Jordan actaully looks in an NFL game before I kiss Ireland's ring? Cool with you?

Great, thanks.

WV - thank you for the very inspiring post.

I actually went to Radio City last night and it was great to see a very large Dolphin contingency there. I even bought the new draft hat. It is the ugliest hat that
I have ever seen, but I had to support the new logo and I figured it would be bad luck if I did not buy one.

While I was never as negative as many Fireland posters, I am also not ready to proclaim Ireland as the best GM in the business.

I do love the trade and risk Ireleand and the team took last night. I only like the Jordan pick. If the coaches can groom him and find a way to utilize all Jordan's potential, then I will indeed love the pick as well. Until then, I won't be kneeling down to kiss Ireland's ring (unless it is a Super Bowl ring).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom