WVDolphan's Get Real - Jeff Ireland "Like a Boss" | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's Get Real - Jeff Ireland "Like a Boss"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea Val, it WAS warranted. He was part of the Parcells/Sparano disaster so his hand was in it. He exhibited some symptoms of Parcellsitis. But, he has been cured for a while now. Ireland brought the vaccinations to the building.

Stop hating. Stop bringing up old ****. Stop being cautionsly optimistic. The future is bright. Step on board the playmaker express. Train starts rolling in September. Hop on board while you can. Engineer Jeff Ireland is blowing the whistle.

I'd be happy to admit being wrong. Hell, I want to be wrong. We'll see where this goes. Last year we drafted a QB while promptly ditching anything that resembled a WR. All I'm saying is lets see how the rest of the draft goes before we jump to conclusions.

There has been plenty of Ireland hatred to go around here the last 18 months. For many, things subsided when Philbin was brought in and people wanted to fairly give Ireland a shot with a new HC.

However, many have remained skeptical of Ireland despite the new coaching staff and have questioned his every move. Some still believe what transpired over the pre-Philbin years were mostly Ireland's doings and that he held a philosophy too similar to Parcells' outdated ideas.

Some of us however have been trying to tell you guys it was a new day in Miami and that most of the harvest of recent years was due mainly to the mentality of Parcells and the ignorance of Sparano. Some of us believed Ireland was cured of Parcellsitis and even though he exhibited a few symptoms from time to time was never in a critical stage. Some of us had faith that the man in charge of this team would step out of the corn fields and find the playmakers we need to contend once again.

Those of us who just knew Parcells and Sparano were the ones in control and steering us straight to mediocrity tried to tell you Ireland haters to just step back and watch what happens. Instead you bashed away with your Fireland nonsense and sigs that include suggestions of Ireland being incompetent. Well Jeff Ireland has one message for you as you take in the fact he drafted up to get the best defensive playmaker in the draft last night................................... Stick THAT in your CORNCOB pipe and smoke it!!!!!!!!

Thats right. Jeff Ireland has been nothing short of the best GM in the league over the last couple of sesaon. I didnt say just this season. I said the last couple of seasons. Its time you Ireland bashers get it right. Dont come in softening your stance on him and suggest he is just merely doing a good job this year. No. This brilliant offseason has been an ongoing process since LAST YEAR. While all of you mongoloids were nitpicking every move Ireland made last year, you failed to realize they were all moves necessary to make this offseason work.

How good is that Vontae trade now? After all, had it not been for the extra 2nd round pick we got from trading that bum, the move up to get Jordan wouldve been a lot less likely. Or how bout the Marshall trade you all bashed Ireland for? No complaints about that now as we are putting together a solid group of WRs and have an extra 3rd this year that also proved beneficial to us. But, the best move of last year was drafting Tannehill. Many were skeptical, but look at what we would be faced with had we not gotten the QB last season.

Yea, some great work and planning ahead has put the phins in a great position. Every move that was made last season was a piece of future considerations. And the move up to get Jordan was as shrewed as any. Ireland trolled the **** out of about 4 teams that were praying Jordan would be there with their top 10 pick. What a great move at a great price. We found the right team to fleece and got it done. And just look at what some other teams gave up in order to move ahead or into round 1. Minnesota lost 4 picks just to get back into the late first and get Patterson last night. In the meantime we gave up a 2nd rounder to move up 9 spots and get the best defensive playmaker on the board.

The other great thing about last nights draft was how many teams wasted their pick by going cornfed. We got a leg up on half the league who drafted players that simply cant block the player we took and dont have much of an impact anyway. Only a couple of teams in the top 10 went playmaker. Both St Louis and Miami traded up to get theirs.

Looking at Jordan, he is pretty much the defensive version of Tavon Austin. They were mirror playmakers so to speak. The phins are clearly going to attack on defense. Wake on one side and Jordan on the other will force OTs out wide and allow Starks and Solial to destroy the middle. Ellerbe will also be a cause of concern with the occasional rush up the middle. Jordan also allows us a player who can cover these new explosive TEs down the seem. He is a perfect counter to Hernandez.

The message was sent loud and clear to New England. Belichick and Brady...... were coming for you. Be prepared. Ireland and Philbin are ON IT. This defense is going to absolutely swarm. Much more speed at LB is going to give us a great new demension. If we can add a ball hawk like Herbal Badger, we could have an elite D.

Finally, what a great job Ireland and the whole team did of not letting this cat out of the bag. None of the so called "experts" or "gurus" had a clue we were going to take Jordan. Those guys completely whiffed. This is why I find mock drafts and such silly anyway. If you want to analyze the players thats great, but speculating on who is going where is pretty much nonsense outside of the first couple of picks. Too many things can happen.

In the end this was all nothing more than great foresight and hard work by Jeff Ireland, Joe Philbin and staff over the last 15 months. This group really put together some great stuff to get us where we are. We are now laying perfectly in the weeds with our crosshairs right on Brady's ass. This team is a legit contender and those who are sleeping on that need to WAKE up and smell the coffee. Jeff Ireland is running this thing like a boss. It was Parcells and Sparano who failed to realize the impact playmakers have and overvalue the cornfed.

Now if we can just get Bailey, Herbal Badger, and Gillislee tonight we can start talking world championships.

Thank you sir, one of the BEST posts I have ever read on FH.

Spot on.

What I have always liked is Ireland almost NEVER loses in a trade value wise. He never seems desperate to me no matter what the fans are crying about. Talent picking has been average, but the last few yrs when he finally had more control it has improved. The only argument could be made about Marshall but I think we got fair value for the 2-yr rental, and i'm also convinced that was a Philbin request all the way.

Look on the bright side, we could have an Owner/GM and be screwed forever like the Cowboys and the late Raiders. Ireland is a good GM and hopefully this staff sticks around for awhile to help build consistency.

Thats right. Jeff Ireland has been nothing short of the best GM in the league over the last couple of sesaon. I didnt say just this season. I said the last couple of seasons. Its time you Ireland bashers get it right. Dont come in softening your stance on him and suggest he is just merely doing a good job this year. No. This brilliant offseason has been an ongoing process since LAST YEAR. While all of you mongoloids were nitpicking every move Ireland made last year, you failed to realize they were all moves necessary to make this offseason work.

What? Since when did "potential" outweigh actual winning on the field? You would argue he's done a better job than what's being done in San Fran, GB, NYG, Balt, Houston, Indy, or Seattle? It was a ballsy,smart pick but lets not anoint him anything until he actually wins. He placed himself in a position to succeed after the car crash he was a part of lets not just brush that away in a sentence; his level of culpability is up for debate and will be until the product reflects otherwise. Nothing changes until we take the division from Brady which we havent done since Drew Bledsoe got whacked by Mo lewis. No, Brady playing 15 minutes in 2008 doesn't count.

The way I see it, and you'll have to give me a bit of leeway as I'm a Brit and obviously not as clued up on this great game as you blokes, is that you aren't getting anywhere in the NFL without having some bollox. I sat up until gone midnight last night to watch the draft and what Ireland did was demonstrate that he has balls. It would have been so easy to pick Johnson. Shore up a need and please the media. He took the risk and if that risk pays off then our D could be absolutely frightening. We play in a division with Brady. We aren't beating the Pats by playing passive. We have to be aggressive and have playmakers doing what they do. Jordan alongside Starks, Soliai and Wake is a genuinely fearsome front 4. We've upgraded in FA relentlessly. If this all comes off, we look a genuine threat. We got our QB last year. Look at the state of the QB's on offer this year. Thank God we took Tannehill.

I think that on balance, if you compare the actions of Ireland with and without Parcells/Sparano; you can only conclude that he was held back. He shows no inclination to take the safe pick on the OL. The previous two years appear to have been a consistent push for playmakers. I believe the guy knows what he is doing and just needs to be given time with the rest of the staff to reach our destination. The Dolphins are moving forward at quite a pace. If Tannehill fires this year, who knows where we could end up.

WV - thank you for the very inspiring post.

I actually went to Radio City last night and it was great to see a very large Dolphin contingency there. I even bought the new draft hat. It is the ugliest hat that
I have ever seen, but I had to support the new logo and I figured it would be bad luck if I did not buy one.

While I was never as negative as many Fireland posters, I am also not ready to proclaim Ireland as the best GM in the business.

I do love the trade and risk Ireleand and the team took last night. I only like the Jordan pick. If the coaches can groom him and find a way to utilize all Jordan's potential, then I will indeed love the pick as well. Until then, I won't be kneeling down to kiss Ireland's ring (unless it is a Super Bowl ring).

That just made me laugh out loud - It is the ugliest hat that I have ever seen, but I had to support the new logo - Priceless!

WV I think philbin and company has a lot to do with what is going on in miami right now. Ireland has always been great at trading, but evaluating talent in round 2 is a weakness so far. I hope philbin and Ireland grab a stud player round 2. I'm a Ireland hater simply because he's failed a lot due to Sparano and parcels. This year it's looking great so far. To get dion Jordan was impressive to say the least.

Thanks Wv, you are dead on with this post, I wanted Mr. Ireland to do well but some of his moves had me scratching my head but now I see he had a plan and it looks promising.

What? Since when did "potential" outweigh actual winning on the field? You would argue he's done a better job than what's being done in San Fran, GB, NYG, Balt, Houston, Indy, or Seattle? It was a ballsy,smart pick but lets not anoint him anything until he actually wins. He placed himself in a position to succeed after the car crash he was a part of lets not just brush that away in a sentence; his level of culpability is up for debate and will be until the product reflects otherwise. Nothing changes until we take the division from Brady which we havent done since Drew Bledsoe got whacked by Mo lewis. No, Brady playing 15 minutes in 2008 doesn't count.

some people have to go from one extreme to another . I care about one thing if we put a winning product on the field. If we make playoffs or have a winning record then I will feel we did a great job if we are 8-8 or below then Im happy with getting a new GM.
You go back to 2009 draft Im sure there were some excited fans around the country with the selections of Aaron Curry, MArk Sanchez, Tyson Jackson, JAson Smith and Aaron maybin.

No truer words have been posted on this site. Mock drafts are worthless. Worthless. I can't believe so many smart people fixate on them.

Whenever I see a thread on a mock draft I click elsewhere and wonder why they are allowed. Seriously, if valuable threads are merged why are we forced to wade through so many moronic threads on mock drafts? I don't care who the source is. They are equally uninformed and baseless. Every mock draft thread should be merged. Then when you open the thread the Monty Python theme song should play in the background, as a hint to the absurdity of what you are reading.

Mocks were always overrated. With the new salary cap realities, influencing so many first round trades, they lost whatever minor value they once had.

The posters who obsess over mocks would invest their time exponentially more wisely, and more helpfully, if they analyzed and capsuled each player, in relation to others and with an estimate of what range they might be drafted.

I concede I didn't wise up until I was in my mid 20s. Prior to that I was just as brainwashed toward mock drafts as anyone else. My final two years at USC I had my mock first round published in the Daily Trojan, front and center on the first page of sports, with a long accompanying article. And no, I wasn't particularly accurate outside the first handful of picks. My friends let me know about it. Before I attained that position I did mocks for my own amusement, and considered making copies and placing them on trees all over campus. But I decided that would be going out on a limb.

Oh brother. That's actually a recycled line from my final mock draft column in the Daily Trojan. I actually had a professor who liked it. :chuckle:

Well said Awsi.

Saying all of this though, it is fair to say we have quite a few posters who do an excellent job breaking down the strengths and weaknesses of prospects(especially Slimm). I dont mind checking out any mock that posters like that may create, but Im more interested in the potential range of where a player could fall.

Its also helpful to note what systems best fit certain players as you can absolutely get a sense of what teams could be most interested in those players that fit what they do. For instance, many mocks had the Steelers taking Jones because it was so obvious he fits exactly what they do with their LBs. He should be a productive player for them.

Aside from instances like that however, mocks are essentially a waste of time. Once you get past the first few picks, a multitude of variables take over that make mocking even a 1st round with more than 10 correct hits is nearly impossible. Its all pointless speculation.

Take last night for instance. While most people could predict the first 2 players taken(although the order couldve easily been wrong), once the phins jumped up in a trade and selected a player almost no one thought they coveted, it threw everyones board way off. There were a handful of teams in the top 10 Jordan couldve gone to. All of those potential suitors then had to select the next best player on their board.

All you can really do that makes sense is make a list of players that a particular team may be interested in for a variety of reasons and suggest a given range that a player may be selected within. The rest is nonsense.

Thats right. Jeff Ireland has been nothing short of the best GM in the league over the last couple of sesaon. I didnt say just this season. I said the last couple of seasons. Its time you Ireland bashers get it right..

Its fun watching you morph into a full fledged homer. Logic and reasoning who needs it, as long as it involves the Dolphins it WAS BRILLIANT!!

Its not like all these players we got in FA and in the draft have played together. We will see the benefit of this offseason come into full swing in 2014. Alot of new faces in miami, they need time to mesh.

You still dont get it. OL isnt a priority anymore. Youre still thinking of Parcells and Sparano. Why are you so worried about the OL?

Why is the Jordan pick an indication of Vernon's ability? Get real. Why would it suggest Vernon isnt good just because we took the best defensive playmaker in the draft? Also, youre just now figuring out that Wake is getting near his decline? He is in his 30s.

Youre not impressed with the linebacker moves? Well damn we should be worried now. Youre lost if you think those moves werent solid.

Were "thin" huh. What team isnt thin? This isnt 1981 where you build up solid teams and have depth at every spot. Every team has so called "holes" even championship teams. Very few teams have depth in any more than a couple of spots. This team has the best QB depth in the league. One or two key injuries will derail any team in the league.

Dude, you have been one of the heaviest Ireland critics. The fact is, you simply have no idea whats going on. Your sig with Ireland that says "you cant fix stupid".......... well.

If the priority isn't the OL anymore, then why has the main thread all week...or for that matter the last couple of months...been about getting a tackle? Why? I'll tell you why, because even though you think "Ireland has changed" it doesn't really matter if he never got the job done on the OL. We'll just get to watch Tannehill get sacked all year and Miller run into a pile. Just because "Ireland has changed" doesn't mean everything is suddenly fixed. It's not!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom