Xavier Leggett | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavier Leggett

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Wide receiver is down on the list for Miami. But that third wideout position definitely could be up for grabs come 2024.

Wilson's contract expires. Claypool and EZ could be in the mix, if the Dolphins keep Claypool.

Obviously, if Hill and Waddle are healthy they should continue to get the lions share of targets. But Hill has already talked about playing for a few more years, then hanging it up. So, maybe you look toward the future?

Xavier Leggett kind of grabbed my attention. He's about 6-3, maybe 4.4ish, and is a good kick returner. At least initially, he could help on ST's and give Miami a bigger target.

I've seen him listed around the 40-50 range on a few sites. Meaning probably an early 2nd rounder, who might have a chance to sneak into the 1st round with a strong combine.

Gives me some Chris Chambers vibes.

Sign me up for first round. I want ferraris in the first.

Right now I have him as #4 receiver in the draft after Harrison, Coleman and Nabers. But that 4.3 40 with that frame would land him on my first round card.

Western Kentucky's Malachi Corley strikes me as a McDaniel kinda WR.

Gotta get those extra picks to consider a WR though.

Western Kentucky's Malachi Corley strikes me as a McDaniel kinda WR.

Gotta get those extra picks to consider a WR though.
I've read Deebo Samuel comparisons. Definitely sounds like a McDaniel type!

Looking at potential WR's for Miami, RAC is the first box to tick, and Leggett is excellent here.

I think WR is pretty high on the priority list. If there are no Day-1 starting OT's left by the time Miami picks in RD 1, WR would be my next priority.

Troy Franklin, while not known for his RAC, is actually really good in this area, and after the clear Top 2 (Harrison Jr and Nabers), I think he's right in the mix for the next best WR. The benefit with Franklin is his all-around game. Slight, but he's just 20, so he'll fill out, and he can be your X of the future (think E. Sanders and then Aiyuk in SF). He's also fast, which this staff likes.

Corley is a good call later, but imo he's more of a tertiary option. He's similar to Deebo Samuel in that he's built and runs like a RB, so that will obv have appeal. Don't think he's going to be a guy who wins vs good CB's, though, so there's a cap to his value.

For Miami, I also like Jalen McMillan and Tre Harris. Like Franklin, they're plus RAC players, but they also have the talent to develop into complete WR's.

Marvin Harrison is #1, but I really like Rome Odunze. He has great body control and ball skills. He can dominate on 50/50 balls.

Nabers has the speed.

He's tied with Chase for the most 20+ yard gains of any WR over the last 5 years, but he's done it in 12 games vs 14 for Chase. He's GREAT at just about everything. One of those rare guys who can absorb crazy volume and maintain crazy efficiency, because he's strong/tough through the route, at the catch point, and after the catch, and his acceleration is insane and shows up separating underneath, intermediate, and deep. The distance he covers and creates when he accelerates is as good as I've seen.

He's one of the blue-chip guys in this class - along with the 3 QB's, Harrison Jr., Bowers, the 2 OT's, and Dallas Turner.

Maybe Bowers gets knocked for being a TE, but that's the clear Top 9 to me - with the understanding that I may be underrating someone. I don't think I'm overrating any of those guys, though. Best group of blue-chippers since 2021. CB isn't as good as 2021, but I think it actually stacks up pretty well otherwise. 2021 probably had a better WR3 (cleaner/more obviously special), but I think QB3 is better for 2024, and I'd probably rate Harrison Jr and Nabers ahead of any of Chase/Smith/Waddle as prospects. Bowers vs Pitts is interesting.

Leggett would be a reach in R1 for me.

Unless there is no OL/DL on the board for Miami WR just doesn't make sense there.

The CBs are not as good at the top of the draft, but it is a deep class. Bowers is better than Pitts, but still not worth a top 10 pick. The QBs are deep, but I’m not a fan of Bo Nix. I love the WR class, easily a half dozen first rounders.

Looking at potential WR's for Miami,

I don't agree that YAC is the most important ability. We are after speed and "quickness." If you watch Waddle he is super smooth and quick in routes, I would say 95 percentile in the league when you watch him. Then there is Tyreek who is off the charts compared to 95 percentiles.
To that end, I don't think we'd be after big framed receivers because they are just clunku even when they are fast and quick for their frame, they are just too big.
Nabers being the smallest of the top bunch, he'd fit the best, but not because of YAC ability. I would be looking for ferraris but not over 6-0.

I think McDaniel wants a balance, but a lot of those moves toward physical/RAC answers have been low-risk, high-reward, high chance of not working out. Ezukanma, Claypool, the late-round TE's.

With Hill, Waddle, and Achane (and Mostert for as long as he lasts), Miami has plenty of speed. Could you imagine if you dropped a Deebo or a Kittle to work underneath while teams are worried about Hill and Waddle? Achane dominates that area for Miami, but they don't have a guy to get tough catches underneath and then break tackles to turn a 6-yard catch into a 20-yard gain. SF has 4! with Aiyuk working over the top.

Harrison Jr and Nabers are dream WR prospects, so they're the right answer for a lot of reasons.

I think Leggett is more of a Round 2 or 3 guy, but he's plenty fast and would give Miami a physical option. I don't see the route running/separation to warrant a 1st, and he's an older prospect. Fit for Miami, though? Yes. Franklin is absolutely worth a 1st, though, and he's also a fit.

Back
Top Bottom