Yanks scouting Burrell and Abreu | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks scouting Burrell and Abreu

Life immitates art? A classic, from the Onion:

clear.gif

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27656
NEW YORK -- With a week to go before pitchers and catchers report for spring training, the New York Yankees shored up their pitching, hitting, and defense Monday by signing every player in professional baseball.

"We'd like to welcome the entire roster of Major League Baseball into the Yankees family," said team owner George Steinbrenner, watching as the franchise's 928 newest additions held up their pinstripes at a Yankee Stadium press conference. "With these acquisitions, we are in position to finally nab that elusive 27th World Series title."

Sports reporters were not surprised by the move.

"This is not entirely unexpected," New York Times baseball writer Murray Chass said. "When the Yankees followed up their signing of Japanese slugger Hideki 'Godzilla' Matsui by annexing Cuba for use as a Triple-A farm club, it was clear that Steinbrenner was willing to do whatever it takes to win."

"It's an honor to be part of this team," said catcher Benito Santiago, picked up from the San Francisco Giants as insurance in case catchers Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mike Piazza all go down with injuries. "It's a surprise, certainly, but I'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity to play on what is, by default, the greatest team in baseball."

Yankees manager Joe Torre, whose pitching rotation, prior to the mass signing, lacked a clear seventh ace, now has the luxury of starting each of his hurlers twice a season.

"As they say, you can never have enough pitching in this league," Torre said. "Especially come playoff time. Now, if we make it to the World Series, we'll be able to start Pedro Martinez in Game 1 and still have him fresh and ready to go for a Game 287, should it be necessary."

With so many egos to juggle and so many personnel decisions to make, Torre said his job will actually be harder this season, the lack of opposing players notwithstanding.

"Hey, I don't care who you've got on your team; winning in this league is tough -- Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Randy Johnson or no Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Randy Johnson," Torre said. "And it's even tougher in New York. This is a baseball town, and some of these fans think the Yankees are the only team in baseball. Now that we truly are, the pressure to win will be that much greater."

The mass signing, extravagant even by Yankees standards, caused the Bronx Bombers' payroll to skyrocket from a former league high of $220 million to $5.6 billion.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig approved the signing, noting that the other 29 major-league teams received ample financial compensation.

"I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said. "The league was due for contraction, anyway."

Interesting now looking at Burrell too. Says the Phillies are looking for top of the rotation pitching help.... something the Yankees really don't have to give up. I wonder how they'd pull one of these deals off.

Ray Finkle said:
Interesting now looking at Burrell too. Says the Phillies are looking for top of the rotation pitching help.... something the Yankees really don't have to give up. I wonder how they'd pull one of these deals off.

How they do it is that they take another bad contract from Philly and Philly lowers their demands just to help them save payroll.

MikeO said:
How they do it is that they take another bad contract from Philly and Philly lowers their demands just to help them save payroll.

But the Phillies want a top of the line starter back in return, plus they're in the playoff race. Who are the Yankees going to give them?

With your logic the Yankees might as well take both of them in the deal and jsut have Sheffield DH. If Matsui comes back then he can platoon with Burrell.

MikeO said:

This might be the most asinine post I've read that was written by you, and there's been alot of head scratchers.

Let me get this straight, you actually believe that the Phillies are going to lower their demands for one of their very good outfielders (assuming you take on another bad contract) enough so that you can offer them someone less than Phillip Hughes or Wang? Newsflash, that sure as hell ain't happening. You keep making mention to the fact that other teams do it all the time, like the Red Sox in the Beckett deal. We took on a bad contract with Lowell, but in return we gave up TWO top 50 prospects that are as good and better than Phillip Hughes.

This isn't MVP Baseball, you have to give up something more than a Single A prospect who is less of a sure thing than one of Randy Johnson's starts.

you guys just ignore reports you don't want to hear that blow your agruments out of the water.

ESPN, NEWSDAY, Philly Inquirer, and about 10 other outlets have reported for about a month now that the Phillies would trade Abreu to us and NOT want Hughes in return. Im guessing if they would do it with Abreu, they will do it with Burrell as well. If you fail to come to embrace that notion, then there is no reason to debate or discuss this topic with you because you can't comprehend the situation at hand.

And I hate to break it to ya, but Hughes isn't the ONLY prospect we have in our system. And of course Philly will want the world in return for either, but it doesn't mean it will happen and of course you start off all talks with your demands high and over the course of the talks you lower them. I can tell we have no "business" majors in this area of the thread

MikeO said:
you guys just ignore reports you don't want to hear that blow your agruments out of the water.

ESPN, NEWSDAY, Philly Inquirer, and about 10 other outlets have reported for about a month now that the Phillies would trade Abreu to us and NOT want Hughes in return. Im guessing if they would do it with Abreu, they will do it with Burrell as well. If you fail to come to embrace that notion, then there is no reason to debate or discuss this topic with you because you can't comprehend the situation at hand.

And I hate to break it to ya, but Hughes isn't the ONLY prospect we have in our system. And of course Philly will want the world in return for either, but it doesn't mean it will happen and of course you start off all talks with your demands high and over the course of the talks you lower them. I can tell we have no "business" majors in this area of the thread

Good call on that one.

Mike, then WHO are the Yankees going to give up? From the article you posted it says the Phillies want a top-of-the-line starter. So please enlighten everyone who the Yankees will trade, for one or both of them.

If the Yankees can get Abreu or Burrell without having to give up any talent, I wonder what other MLB teams could give up to land them then.

This has nothing to do with being a business major, it's called common sense. You have to give up something to get something.

Ray Finkle said:
Mike, then WHO are the Yankees going to give up? From the article you posted it says the Phillies want a top-of-the-line starter. So please enlighten everyone who the Yankees will trade, for one or both of them.

If the Yankees can get Abreu or Burrell without having to give up any talent, I wonder what other MLB teams could give up to land them then.

What a team WANTS and what they GET are 2 different things.

And who's to say it couldn't be a 3-way deal? My god

Eric Duncan, Melky Cabera, Scott Procter (has some value). $$$$$$$$$ These greedy owners always put money over winning. Burrell has a bad foot and is always dinged up. Abreu has a "lazy" tag on him with a bad attitude. It isn't like they are trading for Mantle or Mays here.

And other teams could give up more, but other teams probably don't want to add that much money to their payroll. THAT is the big difference

Unless the Phillies think that Carl Pavano healthy could be a 1 or 2?

Personally i think Burrell and Abreu are expendable. Abreu is miserable defensively and struggles in the clutch, and the same can be said for Burrell. Abreu has a good eye and takes the right pitches, while Burrell swings at anything. But i'd rather we lose these guys, mainly Abreu, and start taking a look at guys like Chris Roberson, Shane Victorino and Michael Bourne who aren't afraid to get dirty, show some effort in the clutch, and could be long term solutions.

Man the Yankee are forever pawning off their young talent for short term solutions. All that payroll and they still wont win it all this year. Win will they learn, they were masterful when they let guys like Jeter and Bernie Williams work their way up the system, nowadays they don't give their farm system a chance because all they players are usually traded.

Back
Top Bottom