Yanks scouting Burrell and Abreu | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks scouting Burrell and Abreu

Kdawg954 said:
Man the Yankee are forever pawning off their young talent for short term solutions. All that payroll and they still wont win it all this year. Win will they learn, they were masterful when they let guys like Jeter and Bernie Williams work their way up the system, nowadays they don't give their farm system a chance because all they players are usually traded.

Abreu and Burrell wouldn't be short term solutions. They would be replacing Sheff long term and be around a while.

Torri Hunter would be a better option if he became available. Although I think pitching wins in the postseason and I don't think the Yankees have a good enough rotation. Last years homerun derby was the worst thing that could happen to Abreu as a player.

djfresh47 said:
Torri Hunter would be a better option if he became available. Although I think pitching wins in the postseason and I don't think the Yankees have a good enough rotation. Last years homerun derby was the worst thing that could happen to Abreu as a player.

Tori Hunter plays CF and isn't a big-time hitter. Yanks don't need anyone in CF and they need a bigger bat.

i hope the yanks get em both out of the NL east; benefits the mets. Give the Philthies half a cheese steak and tell em to like it :)

Why are you guys abusing MikeO for suggesting this? Abreu makes $14M this year and next (or something like that), and the Phillies would love to get his fat salary off the payroll. If they do, that's that much more money that can be used to get a starter either in the offseason, or alloted to an in-season trade for a starter. Teams don't merely trade players anymore, they trade contracts. And Abreu's contract is a killer for that team. So, in terms of actual player value, they'd take 60 or 70 cents on the dollar to get rid of his contract. It's not a case of "Abreu's an all-star, so they'd have to surrender two top 100 prospects to get him."

phunwin said:
Why are you guys abusing MikeO for suggesting this? Abreu makes $14M this year and next (or something like that), and the Phillies would love to get his fat salary off the payroll. If they do, that's that much more money that can be used to get a starter either in the offseason, or alloted to an in-season trade for a starter. Teams don't merely trade players anymore, they trade contracts. And Abreu's contract is a killer for that team. So, in terms of actual player value, they'd take 60 or 70 cents on the dollar to get rid of his contract. It's not a case of "Abreu's an all-star, so they'd have to surrender two top 100 prospects to get him."

If I told some of these people the earth was round, they would find a way to disagree with me.

All I did was post a link, go look at the original post. :sidelol:

A lot of people around here think they know their stuff, but clearly don't. I like to sit back and laugh and watch their idiot rantings. Very entertaining.

Yankees can add all the bats they want, but I still think their staff will do them in. Team ERA now is 4.17, which isn't bad, but it's hard to trust the ages on these arms. They all seem to be mid-30s and up.

Also, Mike, Proctor doesn't have much trade value. He's 29 and has about 100 career IP under his belt. I'm pretty sure the Marlins turned him down in the Villone deal and took Ben Julianel (26, lefty, kicking tail in the minors right now) instead.

RWhitney014 said:
Yankees can add all the bats they want, but I still think their staff will do them in. Team ERA now is 4.17, which isn't bad, but it's hard to trust the ages on these arms. They all seem to be mid-30s and up.

Also, Mike, Proctor doesn't have much trade value. He's 29 and has about 100 career IP under his belt. I'm pretty sure the Marlins turned him down in the Villone deal and took Ben Julianel (26, lefty, kicking tail in the minors right now) instead.

Proctor has value. He isn't a stud or anything, but he has value.

Abreu and Burrell for A-Rod.....YESSSSS....the Phillies need a 3rd Baseman as David Bell sucks......after Mick Schmidt retired they had their 3rd baseman of the future in Rolen but he and Bowa could not live together. The Phils need a solid starting pitcher...and there is NOBODY on the Yanks (pitching wise) worth trading Abreu or Burrell for.

GO PHILLIES.

MikeO said:
Proctor has value. He isn't a stud or anything, but he has value.

If they were to trade him, what do you think they'd get?

RWhitney014 said:
If they were to trade him, what do you think they'd get?

Anyone in the league, provided that a bad contract is traded to the Yankees in addition to that PTBN. :rolleyes:

phunwin said:

How is it that the Mets can't get Livan Hernandez without giving up Lastings Milledge but the Yankees can get Bobby Abreu without giving up a Phillip Hughes/ top prospect type? It just doesn't make sense.

The reason why I'm suggesting that this trade won't work is for a few reasons: 1.) If anyone actually reads the link MikeO posted the article states that the Phillies want a top line starter back for Abreu. Which top line starter do the Yankees have or afford to trade? Carl Pavano or Jaret Wright? 2.) Who are the Yankees going to give up that will help the Phillies out? Like I said and have been saying the Phillies are in the race right now and although I'm sure the Phillies would love to dump Abreu or Burrell's money how can they do that without getting something good back in return that would make the team better?

Again I ask who can the Yankees trade to the Phillies that will help them out? If we're talking about getting rid of bad contracts, the Yankees are filled with them. The only ones that don't have bad contracts are Cano, Wang or Chacon (besides their minor leaguers or players like Scott Proctor, Andy Phillips, Melky Cabrera or Bubba Crosby types). The Phils have no use for Cano and I doubt the Yankees would trade either Wang and/or Chacon for Abreu. And I highly doubt that Eric Duncan, Melky Cabrera and Scott Proctor won't cut it.

If the Yankees can get Abreu or Burrell without giving up a Top 100 Prospect than why can't say a team like the Red Sox trade the Phils: Nixon, Clement and Lenny DiNardo or Abe Alarvez?

MikeO said:
If I told some of these people the earth was round, they would find a way to disagree with me.

All I did was post a link, go look at the original post. :sidelol:

A lot of people around here think they know their stuff, but clearly don't. I like to sit back and laugh and watch their idiot rantings. Very entertaining.

That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Back
Top Bottom