You can tell Spielman had nothing to do with this deal | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You can tell Spielman had nothing to do with this deal

#84Fan4Life said:
Uh, actually the Dolphins got ripped off in the Chiefs trade if you really look at it. We traded a Pro Bowl corner for a 2nd and swap of 5ths whereas the Raiders get a higher 2nd and a 3rd for a corner that has thus far been a bust. I just don't understand how you can declare this trade "too good on paper."

Buchannan's contract is very cap friendly. Therefore you can get MORE in return.

Surtain's contract isnt' cap friendly and we had to take less in return.

#84Fan4Life said:
Uh, actually the Dolphins got ripped off in the Chiefs trade if you really look at it.

No, if you really look at it, you'd know it was a good trade. But you obviously haven't really looked at it.

#84Fan4Life said:
Uh, actually the Dolphins got ripped off in the Chiefs trade if you really look at it. We traded a Pro Bowl corner for a 2nd and swap of 5ths whereas the Raiders get a higher 2nd and a 3rd for a corner that has thus far been a bust. I just don't understand how you can declare this trade "too good on paper."

you beat me :yell:

phunwin said:
I wouldn't say they've all been AWFUL....

Feeley trade - absolutely unforgiveable. Awful isn't nearly strong enough.

Ogunleye trade - not bad. Ogun didn't exactly light it up in Chicago, despite the massive contract he got, which goes to show that many of us were right about him.

Gordon trade - bad, but maybe not awful. Not yet, anyway. Gimme a year.

Carey trade - awful. Totally bamboozled out of a fourth rounder needlessly.

Boston trade - not bad. It was a gamble. We knew Boston would boom or bust. He did the latter. What did it cost us? A bust first rounder (that we passed on Drew Brees for, and I will never forgive Wannstedt for that, so help me God. He could pull me out of a burning building and my first words to him would still be "you passed on Brees because a nickel corner was more important to you than a starting QB, you dumb son of a b----!") and a 6th round pick.

I'd say Spielman grades out as a D- GM. Not quite an F. The Will Poole pick and his strong (though futile) advocacy for Anquan Boldin save his bacon, too.

Agreed. Fair analysis. And, if the media rumors are true (they certainly haven't ever been discounted), then Spielman also wanted Anquan Boldin instead of Eddie Moore.

Spielman is pretty inconsistent. The Poole pick was a good one, but he fell to us b/c of off-field problems. His talent was late 1st early 2nd. He did pull the trigger on it though.

D or D- is about right.

MikeO said:
Buchannan's contract is very cap friendly. Therefore you can get MORE in return.

Surtain's contract isnt' cap friendly and we had to take less in return.

The chiefs gave Surtain a long term deal. so his contract being cap friendly depends more on them and not the contract we sent him there with.

Spector said:
We actually received a 2nd and a little less, we swapped our 5s meaning we actually went down in the fifth.

so technically we got a second, and our 5th dropped by 10-20 places...

Oh, well that makes me feel better ... :cry:

MikeO said:
Oh please try and defend Spielman. You probably think Wannstedt was right with his logic that Miami was "close" to being a top-tier team as well!

We were 4-12!!!!!!!! Look at our team on paper BEFORE Ricky left. We still sucked.

Oh please, we had a rash of injuries, didn't get the two people we wanted on the Oline, and the OL needed revamping, I give much credit to Spielman for pulling the tigger..
We lost:
Ricky W. retired
D. Boston..injured
McIntosh: played injured
T. Bo: injured
Chester: injured
Seau: injured
Zach: Missed games injured
Konrad: injured
Fielder and AJ, played injured
Gordon: Injured
Minor: Injured
Newson: Injured
Bell: Injured
Atkins: Injured
New OC..no experience
Wanny refused to open the O.

I never think a team is top tier until they prove it on the field..I thought our OLine was keeping us back and that was before last year.

With the additions of Booker, AJ, James, McIntosh, St. Clair, Poole, Pope, Bua, Carey, and our injured players back, along with the FA's and draft this year I think we'll be a very good team. Wanny had a close top tier team, but not top tier, we had too many holes on O. I like the fact that Speilman went after that. Yes you have to break some eggs, before you hach a chick..but I think Spielman's move started that haching. He did a good job. He had to start somewhere which mean we had to sacrifice one year, but we have a #2 pick for a change and a chance to do some things..Saban wouldn't have a chance to trade down and acquire more picks if this didn't happen. Last year might have been the best thing to have happen to the phins in terms of getting this thing changed around. Props to Speilman and I HOPE HE'S RETAIN. The guy is a good talent evaluator and I trust him, more than Saban at this stage.

MDFINFAN said:
Oh please, we had a rash of injuries, didn't get the two people we wanted on the Oline, and the OL needed revamping, I give much credit to Spielman for pulling the tigger..
We lost:
Ricky W. retired
D. Boston..injured
New OC..no experience

I never think a team is top tier until they prove it on the field..I thought our OLine was keeping us back and that was before last year.

With the additions of Booker, AJ, James, McIntosh, St. Clair, Poole, Pope, Bua, Carey, and our injured players back, along with the FA's and draft this year I think we'll be a very good team. Wanny had a close top tier team, but not top tier, we had too many holes on O. I like the fact that Speilman went after that. Yes you have to break some eggs, before you hach a chick..but I think Spielman's move started that haching. He did a good job. He had to start somewhere which mean we had to sacrifice one year, but we have a #2 pick for a change and a chance to do some things..Saban wouldn't have a chance to trade down and acquire more picks if this didn't happen. Last year might have been the best thing to have happen to the phins in terms of getting this thing changed around. Props to Speilman and I HOPE HE'S RETAIN. The guy is a good talent evaluator and I trust him, more than Saban at this stage.

Every team has injuries, its a weak excuse.

If you want to defend Spielman, you are in the minority.

MDFINFAN said:
The guy is a good talent evaluator and I trust him, more than Saban at this stage.

WTF?

Do you care to retract that statement? Would Spielman have gotten a second?

Seriously, you must be Chris Spielman or something. You have never had anything bad to say about Spielman ever, even though that he f**ked us.

BTW, the Panthers had a crapload of injuries, yet almost made the playoffs. They didnt use injuries as an excuse.....

MikeO said:
Every trade Spielman made failed. This trade is too good on paper and in reality so we know he had nothing to do with it!

Just image if that god awful Lamar Gordon for a 3rd rounder didn't take place! We could be sitting real pretty right now! A 1st, a 2nd, and two 3rds!

Most GMs and agents had Speilman's number last year after he demonstated a tendency to jump the gun on several deals.

I was very nervous about still having him involved in negotiations but apparently Saban has demonstated to the NFL that things have changed in Miami.It was important for him to do that.

I also agree that we have been to care-free with picks.When someone points out that we only gave away a 6th round pick for Boston I will reply how many downs did he play for the Dolphins?

We have had very sparse drafts during the last few years due to this careless attitude.IMO we must change that attitude and start caring for our picks which are our future.

And for those who insist that Speilman has an eye for talent I will mention a few names just at the QB position .Ray Lucas,Cade McNown,Josh Heupel and lets not forget about Rick Mirer .KB21 will rightfully point out that Speilman was only a scout with the Bears but at least there is guilt by association.

I certainly hope that his days as a Dolphin personnel evaluator will be over after this draft.We can do better.

MDFINFAN said:
We lost:
Ricky W. retired
D. Boston..injured
New OC..no experience

I don't know that I trust him more than Saban at this stage, but the rest of your post is spot on.

These people b'tching about Spielman whollly ignore the factual context that existed at the time each decision he is being derided for is made and act like he just made all these dumba$$ trades for players who he knew were going to be injured / quit, etc.

He's a good talent evaluator. He executed the mandate he was given to try to win now under Wanny. As stated previously by someone else, if he had been able to foresee RW quiting, the, what(?) 18(?) guys on IR, he wouldn't have been trading picks for players.

But since you 20/20 hindsight geniuses have the ability to foresee the future, answer this question:

Which positions will we suffer a fall off this year due to injuries and how would you address those injuries, SPECFICALLY - RIGHT NOW.

MikeO said:
Oh please try and defend Spielman. You probably think Wannstedt was right with his logic that Miami was "close" to being a top-tier team as well!

We were 4-12!!!!!!!! Look at our team on paper BEFORE Ricky left. We still sucked.
Ok. I'll go ahead and step in here. This constant negative myopicism is what got your other Miami Fan site where it is today (destroyed).

Yes, we were 4-12. However, the PRIMARY reason we were 4-12 is due to the HUGE amount of injuries we had. Did you forget about all those injuries? I think you must have. In fact, i'm not even going to go ahead and list all of them because anyone who follows the team understands how many STARTERS and key depth players we lost to injury. Losing all those key players wasnt anyone's fault. Not Wanny, Rick, or the players. It happens in a physical game.
You make the assessment that our team "Sucked" back when we had Ricky. That simply shows that you have an axe to grind... you have no understanding of what is and is not a successful season in the NFL. Most teams would love to finish at 10-5.
Making the playoffs is a good standard to have, and we certainly competed for that each year. Our record of 10-5 would get a team into the playoffs MOST NFL years. But failing to make the playoffs by a slight circumstance doesnt put us in the "Suck" category at 10-5. Sorry, that's not reasonable. Falling short due to odd circumstance doesn't make our team "Sucky".

By the way. Rick may or may not prove to be any good at what he does as a GM. However, he knows more about the game and personel than you ever will Dolfan. Keep that perspective next time you criticize him. It's easy to sit back after the fact and be critical. Anybody can do that.

Lets not turn this site into one like all those that have died by constantly being a loud back seat driver.

MikeO said:
LOL....David Boston was a good trade? Trading away a pick to move up one spot to take Vernon Carey who couldn't even start on the WORST O-LINE IN THE NFL. That was a good trade?

Every trade Spielman made was awful.

So lets move him to LT, makes perfectly good sense to me

DOLFANMIKE said:
Yes, we were 4-12. However, the PRIMARY reason we were 4-12 is due to the HUGE amount of injuries we had.

That's nothing but an excuse. The Pats won a SB in a year when they had a buttload of injuries and distractions. When injuries kill you, that means you didn't plan your personell decisions well enough.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Ok. I'll go ahead and step in here. This constant negative myopicism is what got your other Miami Fan site where it is today (destroyed).

Yes, we were 4-12. However, the PRIMARY reason we were 4-12 is due to the HUGE amount of injuries we had. Did you forget about all those injuries? I think you must have. In fact, i'm not even going to go ahead and list all of them because anyone who follows the team understands how many STARTERS and key depth players we lost to injury. Losing all those key players wasnt anyone's fault. Not Wanny, Rick, or the players. It happens in a physical game.
You make the assessment that our team "Sucked" back when we had Ricky. That simply shows that you have an axe to grind... you have no understanding of what is and is not a successful season in the NFL. Most teams would love to finish at 10-5.
Making the playoffs is a good standard to have, and we certainly competed for that each year. Our record of 10-5 would get a team into the playoffs MOST NFL years. But failing to make the playoffs by a slight circumstance doesnt put us in the "Suck" category at 10-5. Sorry, that's not reasonable. Falling short due to odd circumstance doesn't make our team "Sucky".

By the way. Rick may or may not prove to be any good at what he does as a GM. However, he knows more about the game and personel than you ever will Dolfan. Keep that perspective next time you criticize him. It's easy to sit back after the fact and be critical. Anybody can do that.

Lets not turn this site into one like all those that have died by constantly being a loud back seat driver.

So unless someone shares you opinion nobody can voice theirs!

Back
Top Bottom