You Guys Are Kidding Right?! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You Guys Are Kidding Right?!

I would go Haden here.....he has less question marks than Thomas when you project both of them to the NFL IMO...

He plays the football in the air better than any corner in this draft....ball skills are something that you can't coach..you either have it or you dont....and other than Arenas, Haden is the best blitzing and tackling corner in this class....Haden is comfortably the top corner on my board...I don't think there's any question he'd start for Miami from day 1...

I'm quite aware of how much of a stud in coverage Earl Thomas is....in fact, I may have been the first one around here to even dare mention his name in the same breath as Berry and Mays months ago....while also defending him when someone came along to post a single "highlight" clip from his freshman year in order to knock him....

But I don't think he's worth the 12th overall pick in this draft....he has no peers when it comes to patrolling the secondary and making QB's pay dearly for their mistakes...not even Eric Berry....but he's not as complete, physical, or experienced as Berry...

For the sake of conversation....if there's even a snowball's chance that Berry could fall to the 12th pick....that automatically prevents Earl Thomas from being good value at that slot...

Perrish Cox is in that next batch of corners that I think probably slides into round 2 where you usually see the run on corners begin anyway....and that's disreguarding any character concerns there may be with him....I was really looking forward to seeing his matchup with Shay Hodge in the Cotton Bowl until he got himself suspended for the game...

Sean Smith I really liked...but he was a safety/cornerback tweener on my board...and I'd be hesitant to put that poor of a tackler as my last line of defense...he still plays with an offensive players mentality IMO...his tackling fundamentals are poor...

I agree with just about all of this post - except the conclusion you find. What can help our D more than a dominate ball-hawking FS? I agree that Berry is more complete and that you'd have to draft him - should he fall. But, Berry is a freak. Labeling someone the 2nd best FS behind Berry isn't a knock on that player. Gerald McCoy is the 2nd best DT in the draft (according to most - some have him over Suh). Will that keep him from going top five? Especially with the blitzing schemes that Nolan will implement, a ball-hawking FS is paramount to the success of this D. I've moved off the E. Thomas train because of surrounding scenarios: I there's a decent chance we land A. Rolle. But, of the two players, E. Thomas will be just as dynamic at his position - if not more (I think he'll be the more dynamic player in the right system). And, E. Thomas would address an area of need much more than Haden would - unless we land A. Rolle.

I honestly think Earl might move to CB at the next level, especially since he basically functioned as a slot CB for much of his time at Texas. All that speed and coverage ability, without size or the extreme physicality to make up for it? Just smells like a CB to me.

I'd move Vontae to safety before Sean Smith. And with Will Allen returning next year, and the front office's current interest in re-signing Nate Jones...it's something to consider, though it sounds a bit hair-brained.

i dont see why bringing back will allen would be a good move, he's getting up there in age and he's coming off an acl....i think its time to move on.

i think earl thomas is a stud fs and would do wonders for our d.

like i've said all along if we go d, we need to go fs first...the work on our LB core and d-line

but I still hope we get dez at 12 :p4286:

I agree with just about all of this post - except the conclusion you find. What can help our D more than a dominate ball-hawking FS? I agree that Berry is more complete and that you'd have to draft him - should he fall. But, Berry is a freak. Labeling someone the 2nd best FS behind Berry isn't a knock on that player. Gerald McCoy is the 2nd best DT in the draft (according to most - some have him over Suh). Will that keep him from going top five? Especially with the blitzing schemes that Nolan will implement, a ball-hawking FS is paramount to the success of this D. I've moved off the E. Thomas train because of surrounding scenarios: I there's a decent chance we land A. Rolle. But, of the two players, E. Thomas will be just as dynamic at his position - if not more (I think he'll be the more dynamic player in the right system). And, E. Thomas would address an area of need much more than Haden would - unless we land A. Rolle.

Being the 2nd best safety behind Berry isn't the knock....being 5-10, 195 pounds is the knock as far as being the 12th overall pick in the draft is concerned....the dimension that Thomas brings in coverage is what is special IMO...but it's still only one dimension....you cant use him in the box...at all...

However, as CK mentioned..the other thing that he brings is versatility....the hips to play cornerback...which he's done at Texas...

You just dont see these types of players taken with top 15-20 picks...

What would make Miami's defense better is more talent at the LB position...."it all starts up front" doesn't just apply to offensive side of the ball....it all starts in the front 7 on defense...

Gerald McCoy isn't going to be the 1st or 2nd player taken because he's arguably the 2nd best DT behind Suh....it's because he plays a position where it all starts.....in the front 7.....and he's an elite talent there...

And some coaches in the conference will swear that McCoy is better than Suh, strangely enough. But, that falls under the "Ask enough people, you'll hear everything" file.

Will Allen's on contract. I see no reason to break it.

And some coaches in the conference will swear that McCoy is better than Suh, strangely enough. But, that falls under the "Ask enough people, you'll hear everything" file.

Will Allen's on contract. I see no reason to break it.

It's close no doubt....Gerald McCoy was IMO the best player on the field as a redshirt sophomore in the national championship game against Florida...

I think he's more disruptive than Suh and at shooting gaps, etc...but I think Suh is more powerful and more of a fit for different schemes....in the right scheme I could definitely see McCoy as a ROY candidate...

Speaking of DT's...have you ever seen a more powerful player with better leverage off the snap than Brian Price? That kid is a bull.....I know what he's listed at but he looks every bit of 320 to me...

Brian Price spends SO much time on the ground though. It's literally like a third of his snaps, I'm pretty sure I tallied that. Can he be nearly that explosive when playing in control of himself to where he's not going to fall on the ground the moment he has to redirect or retrace?

He's such a classic gap shooter that sells out on the penetration, and you can't be that in the NFL. You have to be more than that. That's why I do think Suh is better than McCoy. He can do it all, he can be more.

If you just want ridiculous quickness off the snap, you can find that in Mike Neal. And he won't fall down every other snap, either.

I just get upset when I see a player that could be more than he is. I don't get the feeling that he's 320...I get the feeling his listing is about right at 300.

I don't think E. Thomas is too small to play the Ed Reed roll in Nolan's D. And, he played a lot in the box in Texas. I don't see why you'd take a dominate ball-hawk and move him to CB.

i'm taking dan williams on the nose before i take earl thomas...

i'm actually moving away from earl thoma for consideration at pick #12 and dan williams is coming up...

and gerald mccoy is a monster...

take earl thomas at 12
brandon spikes in the second

Thomas is the second best safety in the country behind berry, and brandon spikes is a premiere ILB and would be a high first if he had better speed, but he's an ILB he dosen't need incredible speed...I watched him hold down Florida's #1 defense for a couple years and I would love to see him bring that down to Miami.

No one wants your lil' ga*tor girls down here in Miami. The last thing we need is to replace Clamming Chowder with another sub-par University of Felon teammate. I'd rather gouge my eyes out.

I don't take a NT in the early 1st unless I see him being a K. Jenkins or V. Wilfork. I don't see that in D. Williams.

Brian Price spends SO much time on the ground though. It's literally like a third of his snaps, I'm pretty sure I tallied that. Can he be nearly that explosive when playing in control of himself to where he's not going to fall on the ground the moment he has to redirect or retrace?

He's such a classic gap shooter that sells out on the penetration, and you can't be that in the NFL. You have to be more than that. That's why I do think Suh is better than McCoy. He can do it all, he can be more.

If you just want ridiculous quickness off the snap, you can find that in Mike Neal. And he won't fall down every other snap, either.

I just get upset when I see a player that could be more than he is. I don't get the feeling that he's 320...I get the feeling his listing is about right at 300.

Definitely see what you're talking about with Price....if he doesn't make the play with his initial surge...he's cooked....always on the ground....I've never seen him work down the line of scrimmage....it's just his power and penetration is something to behold..."bull" in every sense of the word...

I like Neal too...but he's going to be a 5-tech IMO...he reminds me of a little bit lighter version of Kentwan Balmer as a prospect..

Wow it's nice to see some love for Earl Thomas on here....he's a stud and would add a lot of talent to our secondary and hopefully would create a lot more turnovers.....interceptions were a huge problem for our defense this year as far as im concerned....single digits isn't cutting it....he would bring so much to our defense....

If we go defense, he is the way to go, players like him don't come around all the time....if he could do half of what Ed Reed has done we'd be in business...and he has that ability

Still think we could do great in the draft in the 2nd and 3rd round with LB's

------------------------

and to the comment about the "university of felons" your obviously bitter that the Gators have won 2 national championships in 4 years and has produced some elite NFL talent esspecially on defense. so that comment is unimportant.

but you cannot deny brandon spikes talent, if so yuour biased. if he had better speed he would be a middle 1st round pick, he will be off the board in the 2nd and he would help us out a great deal.

and "we dont want your gator girls down here in miami" first of all YOU dont live in florida as it says you reside in CO....so your not part of "we".....I am however as I live in Southwest Florida.......and we LOVE having Gators down here.

and to the comment about the "university of felons" your obviously bitter that the Gators have won 2 national championships in 4 years and has produced some elite NFL talent esspecially on defense. so that comment is unimportant.

and "we dont want your gator girls down here in miami" first of all YOU dont live in florida as it says you reside in CO....so your not part of "we".....I am however as I live in Southwest Florida.......and we LOVE having Gators down here.

Got 5?

I lived in So Flo for 31 years and just moved out to CO 6 months ago. When business is finished in 3 1/2, Ill be back. I'm as every part of "we" as anyone else.

And if Tampa is where you reside, why are a newbie ga8tor hitchhiker instead of a Bulls fan?

Back
Top Bottom