"You want a better quarterback? Get Penei Sewell!" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"You want a better quarterback? Get Penei Sewell!"

Jeff Saturday and Domonique Foxworth shares their thoughts on which path a team should initially go in the draft if it desires to make its QB better. We are all high on the the receiving options up there. Would love any of them. But I would be thrilled if we went this route as well. Jeff Saturday's comments stuck out after Kurt Warner's breakdown of Tua and his need to work on his 2nd reads.

"The big skill guys are what allow that QB to find the reads, to find that 2nd look. We talk about it all the time, can the quarterback get through his progressions? I can tell you when he can't get through his progressions...when he is on his back." -Saturday"

"It is malpractice (to take WR over a LT) when there is a player available like Penei Sewell." -Foxworth

"Average QBR for all QBs in the NFL, where there are no losses along the front line, as far as blocking is concerned, is 75. That makes your QB Russell Wilson. The average, when there is at least one loss on the offensive line is 48. That makes your QB last year's Carson Wentz. You want a better QB, get Penei Sewell. He will make your bad QB okay, your okay QB good, your good QB great. That is who you want." -Foxworth

They end the segment with "just look at the Super Bowl." Mahomes had all the weapons but no protection.

Rather have Pitts but I think he will be a pro bowl player.

They actually did purchase a center and a left guard last year and that didn’t do much to improve the offensive line.
The reality is that offensive line play is not that good across the league and the few teams with solid offensive lines are generally the teams that make the playoffs.

The Dolphins need to hire someone in their personnel department who is effective in recognizing quality offensive line play. Because they have done a poor job overall in selecting quality offensive linemen over the past decade. Hopefully the young offensive linemen they drafted last year will develop into solid starters but only time will tell.
You'll get more significant results on your OL from upgrading your worst player than by upgrading your best one. Its as simple as that. So yeah #6 on OL is flat out overkill here especially after the route they went in last year's draft... Time to calm down here and realize we dont need the best OL in the NFL, OK will suffice.

I get why fans want a shiny new toy on offense, it’s exciting.

QBs will take the OL first every time.

I got Pitts and Sewell at 1A and 1B and that’s only cause I flip flopped about 3 weeks ago. Sewell’s was my target for 6 months prior.
Ya Pitts creates a ton of mismatches in 2 and 3 TE sets even. Hes worth the price easily but Sewell gives you more time to throw and a better run game. Better for everyone. Hard decision.

Investing more draft capital into Tackle makes no sense right now. We just spent two top 40 picks on OT last year, if you draft another Tackle you're basically throwing one of those picks away. Say you draft him and put him at LT, you're gonna have to shuffle everyone else around and end up with EVERY guy on the line playing a different position than they were last year, and moving AJ to RT which is a move I really don't see working. OL is all about continuity and rhythm, and now we're just gonna reset the deck for Tua in year 2?

I absolutely agree that improving the OL should be a priority this year, and probably makes a bigger difference than adding a playmaker, but where we should look to improve is LG (Flowers) and C, not OT. Give your current investments a chance to mature! Rookie OL almost always get better in year two, and OL units need a chance to gel. AJ looked pretty damn good last year before the injury (especially for a guy that was always a project with a high ceiling and low floor), and by the end of the year Hunt was absolutely mauling guys. Add in some development from Kindley, plus drafting a center like Humphrey or Dickerson, maybe even a G like Kindley's teammate Ben Cleveland in the 3rd round, and the OL should see a huge improvement from last year.

While I agree the Dolphins need to upgrade their skill positions. I also think they need to continue to upgrade their offensive line.

Right now the Dolphins have an offensive line which is in the bottom half of the league. They were terrible in opening holes in the running game last year and their pass protection left a lot to be desired.

As much as I want to see the Dolphins add a WR and RB in the first two rounds of the draft. I also hope they add another offensive lineman at 18 and a center in the second or third round. Until they have a solid offensive line, the offense will continue to struggle no matter who they have at WR or RB.

I just don't understand why everyone says things like "let's give Tua a chance.... He was a rookie... Etc. Etc. "

But when it comes to our other young guys we drafted high last year like Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt, and Kindley we say things like "They were terrible in opening holes in the running game last year and their pass protection left a lot to be desired" Why can't we trust the development of the o line guys we drafted last year and the big money we spent for Flowers?

I'm fine with drafting a center in the 2nd round. But the 1st round needs to be about getting a offense playermaker at 6 and a defense playmaker at 18. RB can be addressed in the 2nd round as well.

You'll get more significant results on your OL from upgrading your worst player than by upgrading your best one. Its as simple as that. So yeah #6 on OL is flat out overkill here especially after the route they went in last year's draft... Time to calm down here and realize we dont need the best OL in the NFL, OK will suffice.
The problem many on here don’t want to recognize is that the Dolphins OL still isn’t “Okay”.
I am not happy either about all the draft resources the Dolphins have used on the offensive line but it is still far from fixed.
Jackson started out okay last year for a rookie LT but after coming back from an injury he didn’t play nearly as well as he did earlier in the season. Hopefully a full training camp and a full recovery from his injury will allow him to continue to develop and he will turn into a solid starter.

Flowers is merely a stopgap and I don’t expect him to be on the roster after next season. They will be looking to replace him after next season either with a player they draft or they sign in free agency.

At center they now have signed a veteran center to fill this position on another one year contract. This is a position where they need to find a quality long term starter and stop just filling the position with players they don’t have enough confidence in to sign to a multi year contract.

Hunt and Kindley look like they could be a solution on the right side of the line but they are both young and still need to continue to develop. Hopefully they both will be the type of players that will improve the play of the offensive line in the future and players they can build around.

Davis, Deiter, and the remaining backups are all players who will likely be replaced over the next few seasons. Of course in the league today, it is hard enough to find 5 solid starters. So the best you can hope for from backups on the offensive line is that when they come in, they can at least play at a mediocre level. . .

As the OL is presently structured I view it as a below average OL and I still believe that upgrading the LG and center position needs to be a priority for the Dolphins. They can still draft a WR at 6 and a RB in the first three rounds while using the 18th pick and one of their 2nd round picks to add a center and another guard.

Love Sewell, but I think a playmaker at #6 is the way to go.

Look at how much Diggs helped Josh Allen in Buffalo. Having a wide receiver, who runs terrific routes, and gets open in huge. It reduces the number of reads a quarterback has to make. I think Smith would be a perfect fit for Tua.

As far the offensive line goes, the Dolphins should prioritize center IMO. Give Hunt a year, or maybe take a player like Little if he falls to #50 and let him compete.

Investing more draft capital into Tackle makes no sense right now. We just spent two top 40 picks on OT last year, if you draft another Tackle you're basically throwing one of those picks away. Say you draft him and put him at LT, you're gonna have to shuffle everyone else around and end up with EVERY guy on the line playing a different position than they were last year, and moving AJ to RT which is a move I really don't see working. OL is all about continuity and rhythm, and now we're just gonna reset the deck for Tua in year 2?

I absolutely agree that improving the OL should be a priority this year, and probably makes a bigger difference than adding a playmaker, but where we should look to improve is LG (Flowers) and C, not OT. Give your current investments a chance to mature! Rookie OL almost always get better in year two, and OL units need a chance to gel. AJ looked pretty damn good last year before the injury (especially for a guy that was always a project with a high ceiling and low floor), and by the end of the year Hunt was absolutely mauling guys. Add in some development from Kindley, plus drafting a center like Humphrey or Dickerson, maybe even a G like Kindley's teammate Ben Cleveland in the 3rd round, and the OL should see a huge improvement from last year.
Kindly was mauling all year. Hunts a guard by nature not a tackle. Jackson can play the right side very well.

Yes, six years ago. Do you know how many OL have been drafted in the first 4 rounds since then receivers do we play VS OLinemen

5. Jackson, Hunt, Kindley, Dieter, Tunsil

how many WRs? 1 - Leontee Carroo in round 3. In 2016
So, how many receivers do we play on any given play VS Olinemen? Here's your sign...

Jeff Saturday and Domonique Foxworth shares their thoughts on which path a team should initially go in the draft if it desires to make its QB better. We are all high on the the receiving options up there. Would love any of them. But I would be thrilled if we went this route as well. Jeff Saturday's comments stuck out after Kurt Warner's breakdown of Tua and his need to work on his 2nd reads.

"The big skill guys are what allow that QB to find the reads, to find that 2nd look. We talk about it all the time, can the quarterback get through his progressions? I can tell you when he can't get through his progressions...when he is on his back." -Saturday"

"It is malpractice (to take WR over a LT) when there is a player available like Penei Sewell." -Foxworth

"Average QBR for all QBs in the NFL, where there are no losses along the front line, as far as blocking is concerned, is 75. That makes your QB Russell Wilson. The average, when there is at least one loss on the offensive line is 48. That makes your QB last year's Carson Wentz. You want a better QB, get Penei Sewell. He will make your bad QB okay, your okay QB good, your good QB great. That is who you want." -Foxworth

They end the segment with "just look at the Super Bowl." Mahomes had all the weapons but no protection.

Tell that to Dallas who had a monster good OL for years and managed to win only one playoff game

Back
Top Bottom