Young and Fromm | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Young and Fromm

There's some discussion on a GA fan site about Fromm's hand size (I recall 8.75") and lack of "athleticism."
I'm certainly not sure how much definitive value the N F L evaluators put in that spec but it's apparently
a consideration at the least. That said, you would think functionality and performance transcend the
mere bio numbers and if Fromm plays the balance of the season at a high level and continues to
show no signs of a "handy cap" he'll be OK.

Unless of course if the N F L ball is bigger!

:lol:

I don't see an arm strength issue at all with Joe Burrow. He has the arm to be a starter in the NFL. The issue with Fromm to me is something that I mentioned nearly 2 years ago - the constant flipping of the ball in his hands everytime he takes a snap. It's something I said I would've had him correct in the offseason rather than trying it during the season. I don't think it's going to fly in the NFL. A QB coach is going to try to remedy that in the NFL. It could be a hand size issue.

A lot of people think Tua has it easy because he makes things look so easy. But they're not. Every other quarterback in the country is screwing up the things Tua makes look easy. I watched Desmond Ridder run an RPO against UCF the other night - had the TE wide open running up the seam with nobody around him and overthrew him. Incomplete pass.

Burrow overthrew receivers by 4 feet standing in front of him early in the game against Utah St. He does it with regularity. If you watch all these QB's without bias and pay close attention, you can understand the level of play Tua is able to achieve. He's a machine.

Burrow has issues when he's forced to speed up his process or deal with pressure. His footwork breaks down and his accuracy drops off. If he doesn't have his feet set, his level of play drops off. He's not capable of playing faster than the game the way a kid like Tua does naturally.

Burrow has issues when he's forced to speed up his process or deal with pressure. His footwork breaks down and his accuracy drops off. If he doesn't have his feet set, his level of play drops off. He's not capable of playing faster than the game the way a kid like Tua does naturally.

I think Burrow's arm strength issue feeds into that. It's intersectional.

I think Burrow's arm strength issue feeds into that. It's intersectional.

Could be. Although to me his arm is noticeably improved from last year. The video game numbers he's putting up are attributable to the complete change in offense and bad defenses, but his throwing is certainly improved. Which probably reiterates your point and makes you wonder if there's anything left to tap into.

Burrow is in that 2nd/3rd round range for me. He's a 2nd rounder at best, where a kid like Jordan Love is a 2nd rounder at worst.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

That ball is nearly intercepted and the primary reason it is nearly intercepted is because he just doesn't have the arm to fit it in there like others do, especially not after rolling and re-setting like that.

We're only talking about 1/10th of a second on such short throws. I get that. But that 1/10th of a second is the exact difference between the ball coming in BEHIND the receiver, as it was in this case, versus the ball hitting the front shoulder. It also represents an extra 2-3 feet of closing distance by the defensive back.

And this was a very short throw. Imagine what those differences are like on throws that are 2x that distance (typical NFL distances).

It puts all that much more pressure on him to make up for that lost time with his brain, his anticipation, timing. And sometimes there's no more juice to be squeezed out of that, because the timing of the play is what it is.

While I've got you, I'd love to hear your own rundown on the compare/contrast between Tua and Fromm.

I think there are a fair number of small differences to bring up, but to me it primarily comes down to Tua's feet, elusiveness, and athletic ability. A discrete superiority in two otherwise similar players.

While I've got you, I'd love to hear your own rundown on the compare/contrast between Tua and Fromm.

I think there are a fair number of small differences to bring up, but to me it primarily comes down to Tua's feet, elusiveness, and athletic ability. A discrete superiority in two otherwise similar players.

That's probably the biggest difference. Just the way they deal with pressure and handle the pocket. But otherwise a lot of similarities. Decision making, accuracy, leadership qualities....all very similar.

Fromm probably has what I would describe as an extra idiosyncrasy or two, but he ain't afraid to make a play with his arm if the situation requires it.

Love hearing this detailed comparison between QB1 and QB2 in the draft...how much would you guys give up in draft capital to move up from Fromm to Tua, if needed (and possible)?

At this point, would you spend a Top 10 pick on him if you were Miami's GM? Not challenging you...just curious

Top 10 pick is too early in my opinion - he's not ready to come in and play yet. More of a late 1st/early 2nd rounder for me that will need time to sit behind a veteran. But the upside with him is fairly significant. I think he's better off entering the draft early and going to a team where he can have time to iron out a few issues than going back for another year at Utah St.

At this point, would you spend a Top 10 pick on him if you were Miami's GM? Not challenging you...just curious

Yeah I would. As long as I don't sense that the field maturity/discipline issues are reflected off the field in the locker room and in his personal life. Which I don't believe to be the case, based on everything I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom