Young and Fromm | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Young and Fromm

I want Tua but I’m not giving up any picks to get him.

Any NFL comps for Fromm?

I think that's an interesting question... The obvious comparative is to Brees,

tho Brees (certainly when younger) is/was a superior athlete (Drew could dunk

a football over the goal post at one time). I think I see a whisper of Archie

Manning tho not the improv skills of Archie (who is my favorite ALL-TIME

underrated underappreciated NFL QB)! I also am somewhat reminded of

Brian Sipe (Browns) and Joe Ferguson (Bills). Both of those dudes were

"gamers" who found a way to be quite productive lacking "elite" QB skills.

Fromm is not flashy or super impressive in any one way -- but has a very

solid total game. He just looks like the type of kid you can count on as a PRO

and if you play really smart team ball he's a winner. But not a hero type...

Oh yeah, I also get a hint of Phil Simms...

Sorry for all the "old time" players but I'm old!

:lol:

Last edited:
I think being older helps with some perspective because I remember some of these prior examples that have been lost to history. When Namath was so arrogant prior to the 1968 season Super Bowl I was a young kid but I remember him saying that he's confident because nothing had ever been handed to him. He said heck the Jets made it clear from the outset they were going to challenge him instead of the silver platter method. Namath was referring to the Jets drafting the Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winning quarterback John Huarte in the round following Namath. They picked famed college quarterbacks 1-2. There was assumption that Huarte might dodge Namath and choose the NFL, where he had been selected also. Nope, Huarte took the higher contract and the direct challenge against the glamour boy. Namath prevailed in camp and Huarte was traded one year later.

I fail to see how that method fell out of favor. Obviously the Dolphins took Rick Norton first in 1966 then Griese first in 1967. Jimmy Johnson was well ahead of applied probability when he entered the NFL. He took Troy Aikman with the first selection in 1989 then within a few months grabbed Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft, sacrificing their first pick in 1990 as a result. It turned out to be the #1 overall pick. But Walsh was good enough to fetch a slew of picks from a desperate Saints team.

The Dolphins really need to lose these games. With New England and Buffalo twice apiece on the schedule you are looking at gobs of opponent victories right there, which really screws up the tiebreaker. So few teams play defense these days. Very rare to have two in your division who don't concede anything without a battle.

Rosen is still a variable. I don't want to forget about him completely. If we missed out on Tua and ended up a first round position player or two along with one stab among let's say Love/Herbert/Fromm and maybe Burrow, I think I would feel sick to my stomach, like it's not likely to pan out. If we added the second quarterback instead it would be entirely different. I'd feel like so often in Las Vegas when I grabbed a number that looked ordinary at the time but soon won't look ordinary. Let others chortle. They are doing so under traditional guidelines that have been flawed all along.

We've all see the lengthy examination threads on how valuable first round quarterbacks are when you connect, but unfortunately the connect rate isn't particularly high. Okay, that doesn't apply to us. We have that mulligan. We are the golfer who missed the 6 footer but was able to pull it back and try again.

Last edited:
I don't see an arm strength issue at all with Joe Burrow. He has the arm to be a starter in the NFL. The issue with Fromm to me is something that I mentioned nearly 2 years ago - the constant flipping of the ball in his hands everytime he takes a snap. It's something I said I would've had him correct in the offseason rather than trying it during the season. I don't think it's going to fly in the NFL. A QB coach is going to try to remedy that in the NFL. It could be a hand size issue.

A lot of people think Tua has it easy because he makes things look so easy. But they're not. Every other quarterback in the country is screwing up the things Tua makes look easy. I watched Desmond Ridder run an RPO against UCF the other night - had the TE wide open running up the seam with nobody around him and overthrew him. Incomplete pass.

Burrow overthrew receivers by 4 feet standing in front of him early in the game against Utah St. He does it with regularity. If you watch all these QB's without bias and pay close attention, you can understand the level of play Tua is able to achieve. He's a machine.

which is why im afraid were going to blow this tank job and miss out. either that or have to give up a ton of our draft capital to move up a spot or 2 to get him... we have to get this kid

Top 10 pick is too early in my opinion - he's not ready to come in and play yet

This was my point, Ill be honest in saying I have only watched him a handful of times, but in the LSU game he showed alot of his weaknesses.

I think being older helps with some perspective because I remember some of these prior examples that have been lost to history. When Namath was so arrogant prior to the 1968 season Super Bowl I was a young kid but I remember him saying that he's confident because nothing had ever been handed to him. He said heck the Jets made it clear from the outset they were going to challenge him instead of the silver platter method. Namath was referring to the Jets drafting the Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winning quarterback John Huarte in the round following Namath. They picked famed college quarterbacks 1-2. There was assumption that Huarte might dodge Namath and choose the NFL, where he had been selected also. Nope, Huarte took the higher contract and the direct challenge against the glamour boy. Namath prevailed in camp and Huarte was traded one year later.

I fail to see how that method fell out of favor. Obviously the Dolphins took Rick Norton first in 1966 then Griese first in 1967. Jimmy Johnson was well ahead of applied probability when he entered the NFL. He took Troy Aikman with the first selection in 1989 then within a few months grabbed Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft, sacrificing their first pick in 1990 as a result. It turned out to be the #1 overall pick. But Walsh was good enough to fetch a slew of picks from a desperate Saints team.

The Dolphins really need to lose these games. With New England and Buffalo twice apiece on the schedule you are looking at gobs of opponent victories right there, which really screws up the tiebreaker. So few teams play defense these days. Very rare to have two in your division who don't concede anything without a battle.

Rosen is still a variable. I don't want to forget about him completely. If we missed out on Tua and ended up a first round position player or two along with one stab among let's say Love/Herbert/Fromm and maybe Burrow, I think I would feel sick to my stomach, like it's not likely to pan out. If we added the second quarterback instead it would be entirely different. I'd feel like so often in Las Vegas when I grabbed a number that looked ordinary at the time but soon won't look ordinary. Let others chortle. They are doing so under traditional guidelines that have been flawed all along.

We've all see the lengthy examination threads on how valuable first round quarterbacks are when you connect, but unfortunately the connect rate isn't particularly high. Okay, that doesn't apply to us. We have that mulligan. We are the golfer who missed the 6 footer but was able to pull it back and try again.
I think that's an interesting question... The obvious comparative is to Brees,

tho Brees (certainly when younger) is/was a superior athlete (Drew could dunk

a football over the goal post at one time). I think I see a whisper of Archie

Manning tho not the improv skills of Archie (who is my favorite ALL-TIME

underrated underappreciated NFL QB)! I also am somewhat reminded of

Brian Sipe (Browns) and Joe Ferguson (Bills). Both of those dudes were

"gamers" who found a way to be quite productive lacking "elite" QB skills.

Fromm is not flashy or super impressive in any one way -- but has a very

solid total game. He just looks like the type of kid you can count on as a PRO

and if you play really smart team ball he's a winner. But not a hero type...

Oh yeah, I also get a hint of Phil Simms...

Sorry for all the "old time" players but I'm old!

:lol:
It’s funny you mention Archie- one of my comps for Fromm is Eli.
Same size, pocket presence, cerebral type, underrated arm. Fromm better feet and I guess that’s where Archie comp comes into play.

Burrow has issues when he's forced to speed up his process or deal with pressure. His footwork breaks down and his accuracy drops off

As a LSU fan I agree with this statement, but I think its still early yet. You have to be impressed with what he has accomplished this year and the poise he has shown when he does have time. Lets wait and see how he performs now that the real season is about to start with UF this Saturday.

I'm tempted to say Phillip Rivers.
Interesting one.
Rivers to me more of gunslinger type, little bigger in stature and build, bit more arm/ little more aggressive- to the point or edge of careless - not in a Jamies Winston way of careless but super aggressive.
I wonder if we would see more of that aspect from Fromm in a different type of Offense.
I see more Eli in Fromm than Rivers but where do we sign up for any of those 3!!

As a LSU fan I agree with this statement, but I think its still early yet. You have to be impressed with what he has accomplished this year and the poise he has shown when he does have time. Lets wait and see how he performs now that the real season is about to start with UF this Saturday.
I was impressed with his pocket presence and footwork in the Texas game. Thought he showed some real improvement

I like Love as a prospect but think 1st round is too rich. Top to middle of 2nd round for me.

He has a lot of "issues". He throws off his back foot way too much. Doesn't manipulate the defense or go past first or second guy in his progression. Looks like he takes too many chances.

Brett Favre got away with some of that stuff. But you got the feeling Brett wasn't interested in being coached. I hear Love is all about being coached so you have to wonder why some of these glaring problems haven't been fixed yet. You can fix almost anything other than the "brains" side of it (Tanny comes to mind so don't think I mean dumb).

Love the effortless way Love slings the ball though. I could see some team falling in love with Love and over drafting him.

Fromm seems very steady and composed. Cerebral player IMHO. He might never be elite but I see a higher ceiling than most of the other options if Tua is gone. Give him an adequate OL and I think he will make all the right choices in a quick paced short yardage/timing type passing attack. Needs to go the right team with the right OC to flourish. Not sure I like him enough to trade from the 1st to the 2nd pick, but maybe if I get a high 2nd and 3rd in 2020.

Still a lot of football to go and players always seem to come out of nowhere.

This was my point, Ill be honest in saying I have only watched him a handful of times, but in the LSU game he showed alot of his weaknesses.

I just think his team was that overmatched. I’ve seen worse games against worse competition by guys like Mahomes.

Swap QB’s and I think Burrow looks just as bad. Love has the tools that project well to the next level. He made some throws in the game against LSU that were elite.

Yeah we fixing to find out.

Back
Top Bottom