Zach Thomas Ranked #6 MLB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas Ranked #6 MLB

Nicky Napoleon said:
Ok, so .42 ypa is the difference in a HoF QB, and just a good QB. Vinny is not a HoF QB, although statistically he is a superior QB to Namath. Namath is better in one category then Vinny, I didnt even compare him to a great QB. I am going to bed but will get to work on that tomorrow.

Nicky Napoleon, I respect your opinion and effort. This topic made me think of one online article I saw several months ago, comparing QB performance in different eras. I thought you might be interested in the findings, specifically that INT percentage has dropped dramaticallly since 1980. Even QBs who are not considered INT prone like Unitas and Fouts threw a huge INT percentage compared to the modern game. The writer attributes it to Bill Walsh and the West Coast offense, prioritizing taking care of the ball while also forcing defenses to defend the entire field via well-designed short passes, therefore also opening it up for the deep stuff.

Anyway, the numbers are rather remarkable when broken down into pre-'80 ("gunslinger") QBs, '80-'00, and the current QBs. You will note Joe Namath does not stand out as overly interception prone in his era: http://www.senorcafe.com/archives/000135.html

at this stage of his career..., and the fact that he gets swallowed by consistent centers..., i think zach makes out like a bandit at #6...

I'm just glad ZT came in ahead of Teddy "No-one-ever-heard-of-me-before-the-Pats-started-winning-now-the-media-thinks-I-am-the-greatest-ever" Breschi.

IMO ZT was rated too low. My reasoning is that the players above him aren't any better. Before last season I would have rated Lewis as easily the best, but I watched a great deal of Lewis last year and he wasn't as good. ZT did a better job of fighting through double teams than Lewis and overall ZT outplayed Lewis last year. I would place ZT in that top tier. I can't say I'd knock any of the other guys down a tier, but IMO ZT is still as good (or better) as any of those guys.

Ed (Bills) said:
Was he effective though? The fins had the second worst rushing defense in the league last year giving up 140+ rushing ypg. He didn't get any fumbles or interceptions either. If teams are getting a lot of big runs and constantly picking up first downs does it matter how many tackles a guy is making down field?
That number was a product of time of possesion (140 rush yds) the Offense was pathetic and after being on the field 2/3 of the game our D would of course wear down and finally start giving up yardage at the end of the 3rd/4th quarters...Zach played very well but ANY lb would wear down after spending that much time on the field every game.

Zach 2nd to Lewis

Ray Lewis is tops, Urlacher is overated, Farrior had 1 good year and everyone now loves him, Edwards is good but just started to make noise the last 2 years. Zach has been great since 96, his only weakness is he is undersized and gets pushed around at times.

If Zach did a Ray Lewis dance or had murdered two people and gotten a SB ring he would be considered in the top 2.......I'll take Zach though....he is always there to make the sticks. I se him in the HOF after his career.

Back
Top Bottom