Zach Thomas Ranked #6 MLB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas Ranked #6 MLB

Ed (Bills) said:
I don't know if I'd take Zach over Urlacher, but I agree that he's overrated.

I'm surprised they still have Derrick Brooks as the top OLB. At this point I'd take Takeo over him any day.

Derrick Brooks is another overrated LB. I would take a bunch of players over Brooks anyday, he's too inconsistant IMO.

newlownorder said:
Derrick Brooks is another overrated LB. I would take a bunch of players over Brooks anyday, he's too inconsistant IMO.
Yeah, he had that big year where he returned about 3 INT's for TD's, but that was a few years ago. He's had some decent seasons, but nothing to get that excited about.

newlownorder said:
I understand where you coming from but still it's up to the player to actually make the tackles. Doesn't matter who you have blocking for if you can't make the tackles. Also it's not like Urlacher had chumps blocking for him. Actually in past years he has been able to roam around the field and make plays, actually more freedom than Zach has.

I agree, and that is why i rate zach higher, or one of the reasons. the point I was trying to make was that too many people rely on stats to rate players, and that shouldn't be. I remember tony paige, and he was great for the team-- a leader , tough and all that--but if you look at his stats then he would end up a nobody--Do you get where I an coming from

Some people said that Zach would not be as effective without Bowens and Chester clogging up the middle but it wasnt true.He was still having an outstanding year until he got injured.He is usually in the right place to make a difference.He does not have ideal size and speed but he he has the instincts and is worthy of following in the footsteps of other overachiever LBs we have been lucky to find such as Offerdahl and Buonoconti.

CrunchTime said:
Some people said that Zach would not be as effective without Bowens and Chester clogging up the middle but it wasnt true.He was still having an outstanding year until he got injured.He is usually in the right place to make a difference.He does not have ideal size and speed but he he has the instincts and is worthy of following in the footsteps of other overachiever LBs we have been lucky to find such as Offerdahl and Buonoconti.
Was he effective though? The fins had the second worst rushing defense in the league last year giving up 140+ rushing ypg. He didn't get any fumbles or interceptions either. If teams are getting a lot of big runs and constantly picking up first downs does it matter how many tackles a guy is making down field?

CrunchTime said:

I think that is probably what i was trying to say :)

Ed (Bills) said:
Was he effective though? The fins had the second worst rushing defense in the league last year giving up 140+ rushing ypg. He didn't get any fumbles or interceptions either. If teams are getting a lot of big runs and constantly picking up first downs does it matter how many tackles a guy is making down field?

i think it was a combination of many things, not least that the d was on the field nearly all the time. i am almost sure that if the the O does its job then the D will perform better and we will do better overall--how do those stats rate against the passing stats- cause with surtain and madison back there noone wanted to pass on them either.

Ed (Bills) said:

Wow, so the run defense is Zach's fault....... :shakeno: Run defense starts in the trenches, if the line doesnt do their job(and they didnt) then you have 300+ lb OL getting into the second level and blocking 230 lb Zach. He relys on the DT's just like every MLB in the game. He may rely just a hair more to make up for his lack of size, but his instincts are top two or three in the league. You take any team in the league and take 3 of the starting DL away(including both DT's) just before the season and see what their run defense looks like.

Zach has been a great player for Jim Bates' defense. The huge DT's swallow up the center and both guards and Zach is free to use his very good instincts. When one of the big guys are hurt, or the center (Mawae?) is quick enough to get out, then Zach has great difficulty getting off the blocks from the big men.

Zach wouldn't be as good a LB in another system as he is in Miami's, imo.

TeeMoney said:
Zach has been a great player for Jim Bates' defense. The huge DT's swallow up the center and both guards and Zach is free to use his very good instincts. When one of the big guys are hurt, or the center (Mawae?) is quick enough to get out, then Zach has great difficulty getting off the blocks from the big men.

And now he has Keith Traylor to swallow up......well from the looks of Keith there is nothing that he wont swallow up! If Chester comes back at even 75%, and can give us that extra body in a DT rotation Zach could have a pro bowl year.

PhinDude88 said:
Can somebody please explain to me why he would improve his HOF chance if he wins the SB? It doesn't make sense really.

It doesn't make sense, but that's the way the system works. Members of SB teams tend to be a bit over rated i.e Larry Brown (CB Dallas Cowboys)

TeeMoney said:

The same can be said for any middle LB (Ray Lewis included, to some extent)

jlfin said:
It doesn't make sense, but that's the way the system works. Members of SB teams tend to be a bit over rated i.e Larry Brown (CB Dallas Cowboys)

The biggest name that is in the hall STRICTLY because he won a super bowl is Joe Namath. The fact that he called the victory in Super Bowl III is the main reason he is in the hall.

Nicky Napoleon said:
Wow, so the run defense is Zach's fault....... :shakeno: Run defense starts in the trenches, if the line doesnt do their job(and they didnt) then you have 300+ lb OL getting into the second level and blocking 230 lb Zach. He relys on the DT's just like every MLB in the game. He may rely just a hair more to make up for his lack of size, but his instincts are top two or three in the league. You take any team in the league and take 3 of the starting DL away(including both DT's) just before the season and see what their run defense looks like.
No, I didn't blame Zach, I was asking how Zach could have been just as effective if the run D was so bad.

Back
Top Bottom