Zach's agents hope for deal this week | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach's agents hope for deal this week

Originally posted by mee
How much he makes is irrelevant. He is still being asked to take a paycut. How many people on these boards would honestly willingly take a paycut at their jobs? Yes it is a game but it is a career and a business to those involved.

It is novel to play for less and a chance to win a Super Bowl. But if given the same situation I'd pass.

Besides they have a chance for the Super Bowl REGARDLESS!!

Sorry, but you're wrong. We're not asking Zach to take a paycut at all. We're trying to give him a contract EXTENSION. This is the last year of his contract, so we're trying to extend his contract so that he can finish his career as a Dolphin. This likely does not involve a pay cut but rather a pay INCREASE, since he'll be receiving a big fat bonus in the neighborhood of $7 million plus whatever his base salary will be this year. As of right now, despite his $6.9 million salary cap figure, Zach will be receiving only about $5 million in base salary this year. Any contract extension means that he gets more money this year, than that $5 million base salary. PLUS, he secures work for himself for years to come.

Originally posted by mee
Restructure/ Contract Extension you say TomAto I say tomatO its still a pay cut. Sorry for cross-posting ... I'm done now.

If they told you they were going to get you help and make sure you never have to move, but you have to take a slight pay cut, wouldn't you do it? I would. People everywhere take pay cuts everyday, it's part of life. Difference is, Zach gets the help he asked for, so he can get to where everybody wants to be.

You don't go to the Superbowl being regular old Joe. So you take the money, that's your superbowl. I think Zach is set, and if he got hurt today would never have to lift a finger again. He has enough money to work for him and his family for the rest of his life. You can either be greedy or win a chamionship, take your pick.

Guys, don't even bother arguing the merits of a paycut in the NFL. Zach is not going up for a paycut! He's up for an extension. They are COMPLETELY different things. Its not a matter of perception, its a matter of mee being flat out wrong.

Explain to me then how the Dolphins cap figure goes down yet Zach's compensation goes up? Because I dont understand. Signing bonuses discounted. He'd get a signing bonus next year if he chose to become a FA or if he resigned with the Dolphins. And I'm not interested in debating what he may get as a signing bonus next year vs. this year.

The main reason I would be reluctant were I in his shoes is b/c most of these contracts seem to be back loaded with cash. And most of those high salary years players never see b/c they are cut before they receive their money. This year for Zach is a perfect example they want him to restructure for less this year b/c it is a high salary year b/c it is at the end of his contract. I dont see where how you would ever be able to "catch up" to the money that was promised you in the first place.

I really dont want to be argumentative. Somebody please tell me if I am understanding this incorrectly.

Originally posted by mee
So do you think Zach will be cut if he doesn't restructure?

The purpose of restructuring Zachs contract is is to lower his cap figure for the upcoming season. It has NOTHING to do with a pay cut; it has to do with the cap. However, because Zach is in the final year of his contract, in order to restructure we have to give him a contract extension.

As for your question, I dont think hell be cut if he doesnt restructure. If the two sides dont come to an agreement, Zach will play out this year at is current contrac and he'll become an unrestrcited free agent at the end of the season.

Okay, part of this years cap hit for Zach is his original signing bonus from the start of that contract. THAT gets spread over the next several years as part of his extension, plus he gets another bonus NOW which also gets spread over the remainder of the contract. UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

Zach won't be cut if he doesn't restructure. That would be PR suicide, and I think it would actually hurt our cap status more than it would help, though I'll have to rely on our resident capologists for judgement there.

Originally posted by mee
This year for Zach is a perfect example they want him to restructure for less this year b/c it is a high salary year b/c it is at the end of his contract. I dont see where how you would ever be able to "catch up" to the money that was promised you in the first place.

I really dont want to be argumentative. Somebody please tell me if I am understanding this incorrectly.

Heres how it works. Zachs has a base salary of about $6 million for this year - the last year of his contract. By "restructuring", the Dolphins want to extend his contract. They will transfer most of the $6 million into a signing bonus that FOR CAP PURPOSES is spread over the duration of the contract. THE CATCH IS - ZACH STILLS SEES ALL THE MONEY UP FRONT, but his "Cap figure" is lowered for this year (since his cap number in subsequent years will be higher). So by extending his contract, he doesnt lose a penny.

clear?

Originally posted by mee
How much he makes is irrelevant. He is still being asked to take a paycut. How many people on these boards would honestly willingly take a paycut at their jobs? Yes it is a game but it is a career and a business to those involved.

It is novel to play for less and a chance to win a Super Bowl. But if given the same situation I'd pass.

Besides they have a chance for the Super Bowl REGARDLESS!!

Some of you guys on this board......

:rolleyes:

First off, if the Dolphins were just a regular company and their production fell off as much as the Fins did.... (Not making the playoffs at all with a mediocre record) the employees would be lucky if they were taking pay cuts. Probably 25% of the employees would be getting FIRED!

Don't compare pro sports with real world employee situations... That's rediculous!
Sports is the ONLY medium I know that people are paid up front for 5-6 years in advance sometimes without even having to prove they are worth the cash.

Secondly, as Parrot is trying to desperately convey to you is that an extension is not a restructuring.....

I personally like how this mee character tries to get a full explanation of how the extension is not a paycut, but then tries to discount or get us to explain without talking about such important integral parts of the deal as "signing bonus" and comparing the signing bonus he gets now to next year's bonus.

The signing bonus he gets next year will be less than this year and thats the bottom line. He'd be a year older and that much closer to retirement. Zach is at the point of his career where every year drops his value on the free market.

We're not talking about a paycut. Its an extension. Thats the bottom line. Saying that he's taking a paycut just because he is getting extended and his cap figure for this year will be going down, is like saying that Patrick Surtain graciously accepted a pay CUT from us a year or two ago when he signed that $30 million contract extension.

The Dolphins ARE a company. I'm not too sure how you would define "regular". That being said it is difficult to draw comparisons b/c people measure success in different ways. The fans want Superbowls. The owners (while SBs are certainly good for business) would like to see a profit. I understand why it may be difficult for you to view it that way but it is true. And it is hardly ridiculous.

As for the "some of you guys" comment. I simply stated my opinion, it is you and your buddies who are hell bent on having me change it. Perhaps you should look in the mirror; you are the one perpetuating this discussion.

Mee regardless of weather the Fins are a company or not, Zach is not being asked to take a pay cut.
The fact is that this is the last year of Zach's contract, next year he will be unemployed and have to look for a new job or try and get rehired here.
The Dolphins are saying lets not wait till next year, let's work out a deal now. This will pay Zach ALOT more money this year, plus lower the Fins cap because the CAP number will be spread out.
He is not being asked to take a pay cut.
The problem is he feels he may be able to get more next year if he waits.. .the gamble is, if he gets hurt this year and ends his carreer, he gets nothing! or even if it is only a season ending injury it will still lower his $$ he will be offered.
By signing now he is securing job security. not losing it. he will be making more money not less.. the only hold up is, HOW MUCH MORE MONEY.

get it?

I wouldn't be suprised if the Dolphins

just figured on letting Zach play out his current deal at this point. They seem to be reluctant to spend money any how...and his salary comes off the books after next season...

Unless they have an important signing still in mind before the season...I don't see it happening.

Why create cap room if there is no one to give it to...
although I guess they could extend Todd Wade that way.

I think, and don't wanna speak for mee. I believe he's saying that Zach is taking a paycut by signing a deal with us NOW, when he get more next year on the open market.

If he signs for 5 years and gets a 7.5 million signing bonus and makes a reasonable sum of say, 18 million over that time that he actually sees.

If he goes on the open market and gets a 10 million bonus from a stupid team that'll overpay(they always do) and makes 18 million over the 4 year it's a pay cut of whatever he makes with the team this year.

As you see, you would be making more in the latter scenario.

I'm not even predicting what Zach would make, I'm giving a scenario in which I believe mee is thinking. I might be wrong, but i could see how an extension would be a slight paycut for Zach.

Even so, you have to weigh long-term security, helping your team become more competitive and the legacy of staying with one team your whole career versus "a slight paycut."

Back
Top Bottom