ZaQuandre White breaking ankles | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ZaQuandre White breaking ankles

Gaskins is a really poor fit in a zone system. IMO he's more likely to be cut or traded than he is to make the final roster. I'm not particularly high on White, but he's a far better fit for the system. It seems to me that those thinking Gaskin is going to make this team don't understand the importance of fit, not to mention salary cap cost. I like Gaskin. He's a good locker room guy, hard worker, easy guy to root for, but it's better for Miami and him if he ends up someplace where he'll be utilized.

Gaskins is a really poor fit in a zone system. IMO he's more likely to be cut or traded than he is to make the final roster. I'm not particularly high on White, but he's a far better fit for the system. It seems to me that those thinking Gaskin is going to make this team don't understand the importance of fit, not to mention salary cap cost. I like Gaskin. He's a good locker room guy, hard worker, easy guy to root for, but it's better for Miami and him if he ends up someplace where he'll be utilized.
Why do you believe Gaskin is a bad fit for a wide zone scheme? I have seen a few ppl state this, but I see quite the opposite.

Those stretch zone plays are where he feasted if you watch his collegiate tape. His strength was patience, and letting blocks develop in front of him. IDK if he makes the roster at this point, and it makes no difference to me. I like the kid, but he isn't anything special. He's a "jag". Fine if he's your 3rd/4th back. Fine if he gets cut. It would save cap space if he isn't going to be used.

I'm just wondering why some ppl think he isn't a "scheme fit". He certainly isn't a scheme fit in a power game between the tackles.

Why do you believe Gaskin is a bad fit for a wide zone scheme? I have seen a few ppl state this, but I see quite the opposite.

Those stretch zone plays are where he feasted if you watch his collegiate tape. His strength was patience, and letting blocks develop in front of him. IDK if he makes the roster at this point, and it makes no difference to me. I like the kid, but he isn't anything special. He's a "jag". Fine if he's your 3rd/4th back. Fine if he gets cut. It would save cap space if he isn't going to be used.

I'm just wondering why some ppl think he isn't a "scheme fit". He certainly isn't a scheme fit in a power game between the tackles.
Primarily, he lacks explosiveness and decisiveness in his running style. Zone running requires patience, but when you see it you have hit it and go. Gaskin never showed great vision and he lacks that gear to shoot the lane when he does see it. That was why Duke looked so much better than Gaskin last season. Our OL couldn't hold blocks long. Duke was able to get through those small gaps quickly enough, Gaskin wasn't. He also lacks the long speed that is desirable in a zone scheme.

I never watched him in college, but I looked up some draft profiles on him to see they liked his his explosiveness, decisiveness, vision or long speed coming out. There wasn't much out there b/c he was a late round guy but here's one from NFL.com.

"...his overall play is less explosive/elusive than his athletic traits might suggest. He will need to run with better decisiveness and downhill burst..."

The list of negatives basically echo the same, but that line captures much of why he's an ill-fit. I find that success in college on stretch zone plays is very different than success in the NFL. You can be successful with more modest explosiveness in college b/c your opponents are just slower, but in the pros you need that explosiveness to be effective.

Basically, all that Gaskin brings this year is effectiveness out of the backfield (and if he returns to form in pass pro from the previous year, as he was bad in pass pro 2021) then as a third down back. Technically a back-up to Edmonds who will probably be the third down back. I don't see how that small role justifies the second highest RB salary on the team.

He cuts and go and not easy to bring him down......can’t wait for the season
Last September against the Georgia Bulldogs awesome defense, he averaged 6.2 yards a carry.
that’s with a very suspect South Carolina line blocking .
I think he can be someone to be excited about.
I think we keep 5 backs , I remember last year San Fran lost backs all year long to injury, I’m sure our new Coach remembers that revolving door running backs He had to deal with every week.

Last September against the Georgia Bulldogs awesome defense, he averaged 6.2 yards a carry.
that’s with a very suspect South Carolina line blocking .
I think he can be someone to be excited about.
I think we keep 5 backs , I remember last year San Fran lost backs all year long to injury, I’m sure our new Coach remembers that revolving door running backs He had to deal with every week.
Yes, we'll keep 5 backs, but one of them is likely to be Ingold.

Just to be a contrarIan, I’ll go with Mostert-Edmonds-Gaskin-and Ahmed and White will be cut and resigned to the practice squad.
it's possible but I'd be afraid we'd lose him to another team.

He doesn't look like a 4.4 guy but I do think he is a 4.5 guy which is plenty fine considering all his other attributes. His lateral ability, acceleration, toughness are a strength. The physical abilities are there. I think it'll come down to understanding the running scheme and how quickly he can become comfortable in the offense. If he can pick that up, I think he has plenty of talent to see reps.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say he will probably start to get carriers on 1st and 2nd down at some point in the season. Especially with Mostert's injury history.
Ran a 4.63 at his pro day

Ran a 4.63 at his pro day
Ya, I know. My post is in response to that and how he had a bad ankle. Again, when you watch him run, he doesn’t look like a 4.6 guy like Spiller does. He looks more in the 4.5 range. Which, again, given his other attributes, would be perfectly fine. I think with more tape and a healthy proday/senior bowl, he would have gone much higher. I’m hoping it works out for us as we clearly aren’t settled/comfortable with Mostert/Edmunds. (Which is good because we shouldn’t be.)

What’s surprising to me is what Melvin Gordon was paid. I’d have taken him over Mostert/Edmonds any day.

Ya, I know. My post is in response to that and how he had a bad ankle. Again, when you watch him run, he doesn’t look like a 4.6 guy like Spiller does. He looks more in the 4.5 range. Which, again, given his other attributes, would be perfectly fine. I think with more tape and a healthy proday/senior bowl, he would have gone much higher. I’m hoping it works out for us as we clearly aren’t settled/comfortable with Mostert/Edmunds. (Which is good because we shouldn’t be.)

What’s surprising to me is what Melvin Gordon was paid. I’d have taken him over Mostert/Edmonds any day.
I can’t find a site that didn’t expect him to be drafted. Many seemed to have a late day 2 or early day 3 grade on him. As many people have pointed out he doesn’t run like a 4.63 guy on his tape. I foresee him making the roster as our 4th RB. Given the injury history of our RB room I think he will have his shot at some point next season as well.

Back
Top Bottom