Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson

dcnr226

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is not meant to be a debate on Jeff Ireland's competence. What do we know about this current regime?

1- They love seniors and guys that have played 3+ years in college. The one exception is Ryan Tannehill, only having started 16 games at QB
2- Joe Philbin and Jeff Ireland have both stressed that the ability to be a natural hands catcher trumps all at WR.
3- They like high character guys.
4- They like guys that produced in college.
5- No loudmouths.
6- They don't like drafting WR early.

Patterson played at 3 different schools in college. Most of the film ive seen, he traps the ball with his body. Character...who knows. But he did have some bonehead moments v Mizzou (celebrating too early) and Florida (celebrating simple first downs). Not enough to frown upon his character..but enough to give pause. He didn't light the world on fire in college, despite being covered by #2 corners (Justin Hunter got covered by the #1s) and despite having an NFL caliber quarterback throwing to him. Physically he's a beast, and looks the part...but i don't see anyway that the Dolphins draft him at #12, not if it meant theyd have to completely go against their blueprint, especially with the pressure to win now, and 3 viable WR targets to be had in FA and a plethora of 2nd and 3rd round talent in the draft.

I don't want us drafting him, and i'm confident that we won't.

Discuss :)

Well I certainly agree that he does not fit the "mental makeup" aspect. I certainly agree with the production standpoint but I dont think him coming out as a junior means so much.

My personal thing is what he did in college will not translate to the pros, at least not like people think. first, he is not as dangerous as a WR. He would be very dangerous if he caught the ball in open field all day. But fact is, in the NFL, they will just shut you down with challenges at the LOS where his rawness would be tested all day. There is so much more than skill at the WR position that is needed and that is why it takes most a couple of years to really shine.

And the final thing, why should I want Patterson when a guy who is faster, runs great routes in the system we run and scores TDS's with lots of production is there at a much nicer value? I dont get how people cannot simply acknowledge that. Its because they only have one thing on the mind. Madden football.

I'd be ok w. drafting Patterson with a late first or early second -- but I don't see an immediate gamebreaker in him on the NFL level.

PLEASE Don't draft him at 12 -- not with all the talent that will be on the board!!

LD

i agree the guy is DUMB as doornails, and he will probably go to a team that has a proven number one to learn the finer things about the position...............

HOWEVER

using Ireland's past exploits mean nothing because he changed is philosophy with Philbin

i agree that we wont get Patterson, just for different reasons

Da'Rick Rodgers and Justin Hunter, Allen or Woods are better pass catchers and ALL can be had with 2A or 2B

Patterson is the most talented receiver in the draft. The dude takes it to a whole different level when he gets the ball in his hands. He has a crazy ability to make people miss. I would be extremely thrilled if he was our pick at 12.

I'd be ok w. drafting Patterson with a late first or early second -- but I don't see an immediate gamebreaker in him on the NFL level.

PLEASE Don't draft him at 12 -- not with all the talent that will be on the board!!

LD

He probably wont make it out of the top 10

I do find it somewhat funny that you mention how much Ireland loves seniors and here are some of the picks with him as GM (whether they are with Parcells or not)

Phillip Merling JR
Vontae Davis JR
Sean Smith JR
Brian Hartline JR
Reshad Jones JR
Jonathan Martin JR
Olivier Vernon JR
Lamar Miller RS SO

now granted all but the Miami boys played a lot during their short time in college.

I'd have to differ completely on where the bonehead resided in Tennessee's offense.... he was behind center. Bray was the one that couldn't stay out of trouble with the law and was constantly in front of a judge for being a bonehead during his time at Tennessee. Never could complete 60% of his passes despite the weapons at his disposal inbetween throat slashing gestures and missing wide open receivers.

Secondly, Patterson wasn't facing the opposition's #2 corner. There ain't much I wouldn't stake on Patterson outproducing just about any offensive draft pick Miami has made since Ronnie Brown. You could strap weights to his ankles and he'd still be the most explosive playmaker on Miami's roster. So we agree, Ireland won't draft him.

But fear not, he'll be sure to "steal" another Lamar Miller or John Nalbone in the middle rounds.

As for Keenan Allen, he has his own issues that nobody would know unless they were extremely close to the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to differ completely on where the bonehead resided in Tennessee's offense.... he was behind center. Bray was the one that couldn't stay out of trouble with the law and was constantly in front of a judge for being a bonehead during his time at Tennessee. Never could complete 60% of his passes despite the weapons at his disposal inbetween throat slashing gestures and missing wide open receivers.

Secondly, Patterson wasn't facing the opposition's #2 corner. There ain't much I wouldn't stake on Patterson outproducing just about any offensive draft pick Miami has made since Ronnie Brown. You could strap weights to his ankles and he'd still be the most explosive playmaker on Miami's roster. So we agree, Ireland won't draft him.

But fear not, he'll be sure to "steal" another Lamar Miller or John Nalbone in the middle rounds.

As for Keenan Allen, he has his own issues that nobody would know unless they were extremely close to the program.

:lol: I couldn't agree more.

Dude is a playmaker and makes people miss with lightning speed.....similar to Wallace. I'm not sure about his pass catching or route running, but I have no doubt he will score TDs and have tons of YAC......could be electrifying as a returner too.

I would love to grab him at 12, but we wouldn't need to pick up a guy like Wallace too. In fact a great route runner underneath like Jennings would be a superb compliment.....Swoopes too.

The possibilities and combinations are endless.....lets hope Ireland gets it right.

This is not meant to be a debate on Jeff Ireland's competence. What do we know about this current regime?

1- They love seniors and guys that have played 3+ years in college. The one exception is Ryan Tannehill, only having started 16 games at QB
2- Joe Philbin and Jeff Ireland have both stressed that the ability to be a natural hands catcher trumps all at WR.
3- They like high character guys.
4- They like guys that produced in college.
5- No loudmouths.
6- They don't like drafting WR early.

Patterson played at 3 different schools in college. Most of the film ive seen, he traps the ball with his body. Character...who knows. But he did have some bonehead moments v Mizzou (celebrating too early) and Florida (celebrating simple first downs). Not enough to frown upon his character..but enough to give pause. He didn't light the world on fire in college, despite being covered by #2 corners (Justin Hunter got covered by the #1s) and despite having an NFL caliber quarterback throwing to him. Physically he's a beast, and looks the part...but i don't see anyway that the Dolphins draft him at #12, not if it meant theyd have to completely go against their blueprint, especially with the pressure to win now, and 3 viable WR targets to be had in FA and a plethora of 2nd and 3rd round talent in the draft.

I don't want us drafting him, and i'm confident that we won't.

Discuss :)

I could not agree more. I would much rather go with a guy like Eifert who will contribute immediately. If I was Jeff Ireland there is absolutely no way I gamble on Patterson.

I posted in another thread that I am totally opposed to drafting Patterson at #12 overall. I don't get the hype. Catches with his body, disappears against the big time opponents, and recorded one 100 yard receiving game all season (actually 200+), but that was against TROY. I don't see where this guy could come in and do anything spectacular for us. He played one season of football at the higher collegiate level, and as I said, didn't show up against some of the big dogs. For that matter, he didn't overly impress me with smaller dogs either. He would be a mistake of epic proportions. That may sound a bit dramatic, but I sincerely believe that. In my opinion, there are no WRs that are worthy of #12, and I would almost go so far as to say that they may not even deserve a first round grade at all.

On another note: The most well rounded WR in this draft, IMO, is Stedman Bailey. This guy has the right ATTITUDE, the right WORK ethic, runs GREAT ROUTES, has incredibly soft hands. He is a big time hard worker and is constantly pushing to get better and better. He is incredibly consistent. He is never satisfied- ALWAYS wanting to improve and he is a consummate team guy. That is the type of guy we need. I know: he's lacks prototypical size. But so what? So does Steve Smith of Carolina and he's still going pretty strong for the Panthers. I'm going to go out on a limb and proclaim Bailey as the best WR coming out this year and I will hate to see him end up somewhere in our division and not a Dolphin. This guy is going to put up very impressive numbers. Want touchdowns? Sted Bailey folks. Go ahead and right it down. And if I'm wrong, feel free to call me on it. Bailey with our first #2 if he is still there and I will be a happy man.

Go Dolphins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I put it at more like a 5% chance but yeah, I don't think Jeff Ireland goes for a WR that high let alone that particular WR.

Back
Top Bottom