Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2

Tua needs to play the full game to earn back the starting job. Let's see if he can rack up points, sling it downfield, and impart confidence that he is the best QB on the roster. Right now he is not.

AJ again had a catastrophic failure, on the first set of the game. On the Oline there are Coleman, C Williams, Eich and AJ that without an exception will give you frequent catastrophic plays. None of them should start unless they must. My starting lineup would include none of those players.
I had Tua at 6 of 8, with one of the incompletions coming on an intentional throw away due to pressure. His field goal drive end after he move the team into scoring position threw for 9 yards on first down and then the team failed to run for a yard on 2nd and 3rd. Not sure you could say the drive stalled due to anything the qb could have changed.

Flores was the GM?…..And how do you know that……Were you in the draft room? Grier made the pick. Whether he was influenced by Flores or by a scout, he made the pick. He gets the credit when he does well. He gets the blame when he doesn’t. Period.
You can’t throw flowers in the air in the praise of so many players picked under the Grier regime and then say “Grier sucks” because of Igbo.

At the very least it’s duplicitous, at worst it’s -

Damn, I'm here in Miami with tons of Phinatics including season ticket holders since 72, many contact, etc, etc, and have not met a single one who said Flo was not the one pushing the Noah pick.

Do not know where your info comes from but it is wrong.
How is my information wrong? Please answer this question: Who was GM when the pick was made? Spoiler Alert: it was Grier.

By your logic, If it’s a bad pick someone else made it, If it’s a great pick Grier made it??? That doesn’t make sense.

Grier is and was the GM. All personnel decisions are made by him.

Since your friends are in the know…Who demanded the Austin Jackson pick?? How about the Curtis Weaver pick?

If the GM gets credit for the good picks, he gets the blame for the bad ones.

Again, I’m not going to grade each unit until the regular season. I’m just here to give my worthless opinion on the way our team is shaping up this year. And so far, it’s a mixed bag of good, bad and horrible. My thoughts;
  • Easy E has made the team. For Sure. Give the kid the locker and the jersey. He’s good to go. Nice draft pick Mr. Grier. Well Done.
  • Noah Iggy needs to be traded. Not tomorrow, Not after breakfast. Now! Awful draft pick Mr. Grier. You Suck.
  • Tua is fine. I’m not the least bit worried.
  • The Offensive line is not fine. I’m actually very worried. This offense is predicated on the running game. Our running game is currently non-existent. I’m not sure I would run 1 passing play in practice this week. It would be all run plays all week. We need the practice.
  • Speaking of the OL…..I’m going to do something here that I never thought I would do….Give props to Austin Jackson. You know the end of the world is coming when Austin Jackson actually played well. To be honest…..I’m happy he’s found his game at RT.
  • It’s going to be difficult to keep Porter Gustin off this roster.
  • Ditto Skylar Thompson. We’re keeping 3 QB’s.
  • To address the 2, 435 pound elephant in the room: Mike Gesicki. He is a glorified receiver. His blocking is an actual joke. My opinion is that he can contribute big this year in the passing game. But you have to limit him in the running game. Unfortunately for MG, you don’t pay a limited TE 11 Milly a year. That’s just a fact of having a salary cap. I honestly think we should explore a trade and maybe pick up a starting caliber center or guard. Maybe an edge rusher or LB. Whatever.
  • Sanders missing a clutch kick sucks…..But that happens. I’d rather have it happen in a preseason game than in a game that counts.
  • Hopefully, none of the injuries are serious.
  • Tua and the starting offense need some more work. If it was me, the entire starting offense would go for the first half against Philly.
That’s it for now. My overall grade for the team last night was a C-. A lot more bad than good last night in my opinion. The preseason is about style points, and we didn’t get many. See you next week.
I've been worried about the o line. PFF said we gave 0 pressures last night, which I would have to argue with. Even just watching the highlights of last night's game, I seen a few pressures. From the starting unit. Regardless, 4 yards rushing in the first half? Not cool

Writing is on the wall w/ 88 been saying it since February. Bad blocking tape last night, didn’t break any tackles in the flats, dropped a ball over the middle. Not how u earn snaps as a Y in this offense.

Noah is inherently a bad pick. The only defense is that there were plenty of scouts who got that wrong including those from other teams. He was rated highly because of the physical tools and the dream of what he could reach. Grier /Flores....Doesn't matter. It stunk then and it does now.

All that said...Grier has done enough in my opinion that it offsets that miss. Heck Holland alone did it for me. But a miss is a miss. That one stings.

Writing is on the wall w/ 88 been saying it since February. Bad blocking tape last night, didn’t break any tackles in the flats, dropped a ball over the middle. Not how u earn snaps as a Y in this offense.
His route running leaves a lot to be desired as well. Guy turns like a cruise ship. You are really limited with route options. You can’t trust him to block anyone. He’s gone next year. Hopefully sooner but unlikely

Been reported over and over Grier picks players for his coach....maybe to a fault but it's out there.

You can blame Grier but it's misplaced blame.
I agree with your first paragraph but the second doesn't follow. It's his call to pick players for his coach. That's his philosophy. He still gets the credit and blame when it works and when it fails.

Why are y’all still arguing who made the pick lol. Who cares? Grier has shown he can draft well. Show me a GM that doesn’t swing and miss? Oh there are none? Okay. Then let’s move on.

Everyone knows he’s trash and was an awful pick. We don’t know 100% who wanted him. One guy is gone and the other has drafted well.

Skylar u protect at all costs. Not a great arm but his timing is incredible for a 7th round pick and he knows where to go w/ the ball. Last night right hash he looks to the field , doesn’t like it moves back to the boundary reads the cover 2 flat defender and gets the ball over him to EZE. So he’s executing his one read and hot routes very well off good 3/5 step timing. But he’s making additional reads as well at times. Don’t let him go

Last edited:
I agree with your first paragraph but the second doesn't follow. It's his call to pick players for his coach. That's his philosophy. He still gets the credit and blame when it works and when it fails.
He does but him saying in a vacuum Grier sucks because of Iggy is just a ridiculous take.

His route running leaves a lot to be desired as well. Guy turns like a cruise ship. You are really limited with route options. You can’t trust him to block anyone. He’s gone next year. Hopefully sooner but unlikely

Well said been a problem of his for years. Its seams and speed cuts and the play is over once he gets the ball can’t shake any defenders. Only benefit to keeping him this year was ur likely getting a comp pick back if not a trade package.

Flores was the GM?…..And how do you know that……Were you in the draft room? Grier made the pick. Whether he was influenced by Flores or by a scout, he made the pick. He gets the credit when he does well. He gets the blame when he doesn’t. Period.
No question it was a reach regardless of whether Flores pushed for the pick. Most "rankings" had him more in the late 2nd, early 3rd range.

He still is only 22, but Miami may have to just release him. They won't get anything in a trade unless he's included on a package with other players.

Maybe next week is his make or break? Any good news put of camp on Iggy?

Do you really believe another team would trade anything for Iggy and his multimillion dollar contract?

I just don’t see any team trading for a player who has proved nothing over the past three years except he doesn’t seem capable of playing CB at the NFL level.

I just wanted to point out that had we drafted Johnathan Taylor then we wouldn't have Iggy AND we would have a damn good Running Back
Chris Grier started with the Pats, and believes CBS are way more important than RBs. The Pats are RB by committee, and Grier obviously agrees. The best he could do was the guy in the Raider uni last night. The Pats had Dante Scarnecchia as OLine coach, and had the luxury of drafting late round Tackles, guards,etc. Not so the Dolphins. That fact hasn’t penetrated as yet. Apple aim is very good but he can only do so much with what he’s been given. I do not know who talked him into turning a solid veteran left guard into a mediocre center It’s the Dolphin Way.

Back
Top Bottom