Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Thoughts On The Game: Preseason Game 2

Chris Grier started with the Pats, and believes CBS are way more important than RBs. The Pats are RB by committee, and Grier obviously agrees. The best he could do was the guy in the Raider uni last night. The Pats had Dante Scarnecchia as OLine coach, and had the luxury of drafting late round Tackles, guards,etc. Not so the Dolphins. That fact hasn’t penetrated as yet. Apple aim is very good but he can only do so much with what he’s been given. I do not know who talked him into turning a solid veteran left guard into a mediocre center It’s the Dolphin Way.
Grier made that choice?

He's on the practice field now making decisions?

I know, I know - it’s only preseason. However, I’m bothered by the fact we had trouble getting to the end zone given we had so many big pass plays on offense. The bogging down inside opponent’s territory has been a theme w this offense for so long. Also, it’s really hard to ignore how ST pushes the ball down the field much better than the guys ahead of him. Just saying.

He does but him saying in a vacuum Grier sucks because of Iggy is just a ridiculous take.

I find it disingenuous to fault Grier for bad picks, but skip over the very good picks of the last few years. Much like TT haters. Wins a game, good stats, good decisions, but someone will point out ONE play . . . 'that pass to Duper was overthrown. He sucks.'

To address the 2, 435 pound elephant in the room: Mike Gesicki. He is a glorified receiver. His blocking is an actual joke. My opinion is that he can contribute big this year in the passing game. But you have to limit him in the running game.

Writing is on the wall w/ 88 been saying it since February. Bad blocking tape last night, didn’t break any tackles in the flats, dropped a ball over the middle. Not how u earn snaps as a Y in this offense.

His route running leaves a lot to be desired as well. Guy turns like a cruise ship. You are really limited with route options. You can’t trust him to block anyone. He’s gone next year. Hopefully sooner but unlikely

Well said been a problem of his for years. Its seams and speed cuts and the play is over once he gets the ball can’t shake any defenders. Only benefit to keeping him this year was ur likely getting a comp pick back if not a trade package.

I love watching Gesicki make those highlight reel catches. But, that's the only thing he can do well because of his long reach and good hands. He's tall, but he's not big and strong. He doesn't break tackles; even tiny DBs have no problem tackling him. Also, he can't block at all. Last year, if I were the HC, I would've used him not as a TE but as a slot/possession type receiver. He'd probably be good at catching that 8 yard pass on 3rd and 6, but don't throw a 6 yard pass to him on 3rd and 8!

Going into this year, Mike may have had a spot as a WR due to his good hands, even though WRs are expected to block on occasion. However, the addition of Hill and Wilson and the unexpected surprise showing by the rookie Ezukanma means that Miami would be paying Gesicki $11 million just to be a part-time player. And now, with Shaheen on IR, Smythe is the only starting caliber TE on the team that can both catch and block because Long is still a question mark. Basically, if Gesicki can't turn into a "real" TE, then there's no room for him on the team if defenses know that he can't block and won't be in for running plays.

Flores was the GM?…..And how do you know that……Were you in the draft room? Grier made the pick. Whether he was influenced by Flores or by a scout, he made the pick. He gets the credit when he does well. He gets the blame when he doesn’t. Period.

Imagine being a GM who is responsible for player and coach moves … but gets blame deflected because he let his coach make picks. LMFAO! At the end of the day the GM takes all that blame for the player and for “allowing” a coach to make that pick. SMFH

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that had we drafted Johnathan Taylor then we wouldn't have Iggy AND we would have a damn good Running Back
There were many players in the 2020 draft who should have been drafted with that pick instead of Iggy. Yet dwelling on who they didn’t draft really makes no sense.

GM’s and head coaches make mistakes in the draft all the time and that’s just a fact. Obviously all of us would rather have Taylor than Iggy. When you find a GM that never makes a mistake in the draft and is 100% correct in all his draft picks, please let Ross know who that GM is.

There were many players in the 2020 draft who should have been drafted with that pick instead of Iggy. Yet dwelling on who they didn’t draft really makes no sense.

GM’s and head coaches make mistakes in the draft all the time and that’s just a fact. Obviously all of us would rather have Taylor than Iggy. When you find a GM that never makes a mistake in the draft and is 100% correct in all his draft picks, please let Ross know who that GM is.
That 2020 draft is always going to be insanely sour taste for many people because of how we sabotaged the 2019 season and ripped the roster to shreds, and in the end it was filled with underwhelming, overdrafted players, and I couldn't even be excited about any QB they drafted because I knew they had stripped the foundation so much that all we were doing was repeating the Tannehill experience by drafting a QB and not having the line to ever develop or evaluate a young QB.

Tua needs to play the full game to earn back the starting job. Let's see if he can rack up points, sling it downfield, and impart confidence that he is the best QB on the roster. Right now he is not.

AJ again had a catastrophic failure, on the first set of the game. On the Oline there are Coleman, C Williams, Eich and AJ that without an exception will give you frequent catastrophic plays. None of them should start unless they must. My starting lineup would include none of those players.
1st time experiencing the pre season?

I just don't see it with Tua. He feels like a small dink and dunk back up QB.

Sorry kids...
I (at this point) disagree with you. However, you may ultimately be proven right. While I THINK Tua is going to be a very good QB in this league, it’s only conjecture at this point. Just like you don’t feel he’s got it, I feel he does.

I’ll say this….NO EXCUSES this year will be made by me for Tua. No more excuses about how bad the OL is. No more excuses about how he has 3rd graders for receivers. No more excuses about how he has no RB’s to help him. If Tua fails this year…I’m off the Tua train. Period. Let’s just hope I’m right and you’re wrong.

Yes, it is my first time experiencing this preseason.
"the" meaning, the preseason time before the regular season starts each year. Not "this" preseason refferring to the current last 2 games. The question at hand is if you understand how these things work, which we would assume, as someone who isnt a 1st time fan. But here we are, wondering

Good takes.

On the line, I think it's important to be patient. New system, new players, and game action isn't the same as a controlled practice. Technique and assignments take time to get used to.

If it's bad by week 5-6 of the regular season and hasn't been improving I'll be worried.

Tua needs to play the full game to earn back the starting job. Let's see if he can rack up points, sling it downfield, and impart confidence that he is the best QB on the roster. Right now he is not.

AJ again had a catastrophic failure, on the first set of the game. On the Oline there are Coleman, C Williams, Eich and AJ that without an exception will give you frequent catastrophic plays. None of them should start unless they must. My starting lineup would include none of those players.

Get all this in now, bud...because this is gonna be a tough season for you :(

Back
Top Bottom