2011 Draft = Solid QB Class - Do You Think We Should Go QB 1st RD? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2011 Draft = Solid QB Class - Do You Think We Should Go QB 1st RD?

Cam Newton is another ATHLETE playing quarterback... he's not a top NFL quarterback prospect. Newton's biggest assets are precisely the things that he won't be able to do week in and week out against NFL defenses, which is running the football.

His biggest weaknesses are the things he's going to need MOST in the NFL, which is accuracy and the ability to go through progressions. Gus Malzahn's offense is a gimmick system that is effective in college football, Newton isn't required to make NFL reads or go through progressions.

Kellen Moore doesn't have the physical skills to project as anything more than a backup, and even then it has to be the correct system.

..and for the last time, Ryan Mallett is nothing like Chad Henne as a prospect... just because you keep repeating it to each other doesn't make it the case...

Andrew Luck is the guy Miami needs to suck it up, and trade up for. He's the only "franchise" caliber quarterback in this draft if he declares.

Cam Newton is another ATHLETE playing quarterback... he's not a top NFL quarterback prospect. Newton's biggest assets are precisely the things that he won't be able to do week in and week out against NFL defenses, which is running the football.

His biggest weaknesses are the things he's going to need MOST in the NFL, which is accuracy and the ability to go through progressions. Gus Malzahn's offense is a gimmick system that is effective in college football, Newton isn't required to make NFL reads or go through progressions.

Kellen Moore doesn't have the physical skills to project as anything more than a backup, and even then it has to be the correct system.

..and for the last time, Ryan Mallett is nothing like Chad Henne as a prospect... just because you keep repeating it to each other doesn't make it the case...

Andrew Luck is the guy Miami needs to suck it up, and trade up for. He's the only "franchise" caliber quarterback in this draft if he declares.

Cam Newton????
Who could afford him?

Cam Newton????
Who could afford him?

Good idea... since this front office needs to be cleaned out anyway and Jay Jacobs appears to be the only executive in America that can afford Newton, might as well make him VP of Football Operations while we're at it...

cam newtons just another example of all the corruption in big time revenue college sports...its everywhere

and lol at the way cam newton tried to avoid the obvious at his presser after the reports started surfacing...face it kid you and your pops tried to get rich with your recruitment and you got caught...

memo to anyone who is looking for the next school to investigate...take a trip down to blacksburg and va tech...

I agree with everything you said Slimm, especially Cam Newton...wouldn't touch him with a 100 ft pole.

However, we have no shot at Luck unless Buffalo starts winning some games. No way Buffalo would trade with us and pass up Andrew Luck to a division rival.

We need to let the season play out. I'm surprised by the Henne benching, but his last couple of games have been disappointing. Is Penny playing the rest of the season if he stays healthy or is this just a temporary move? What does the front office really think of Henne? More importantly how would Henne fair with some more weapons, a serious tight end, a speed receiver, someone who could get chunk yards, an offensive coordinator who takes some chances down field? Henne appears to me to have some serious skills, but this move most likely means that drafting a quarterback now does become a big possibility. If that is the true direction, that is very disappointing and sets this organization back quite a bit.

Tell that to the Texans, Jaguars, Ravens, Browns, Falcons, Giants, Chiefs and 49ers. Good RB's can be found outside of the 1st round.

We need to let the season play out. I'm surprised by the Henne benching, but his last couple of games have been disappointing. Is Penny playing the rest of the season if he stays healthy or is this just a temporary move? What does the front office really think of Henne? More importantly how would Henne fair with some more weapons, a serious tight end, a speed receiver, someone who could get chunk yards, an offensive coordinator who takes some chances down field? Henne appears to me to have some serious skills, but this move most likely means that drafting a quarterback now does become a big possibility. If that is the true direction, that is very disappointing and sets this organization back quite a bit.

Sparano was noncommittal about that. Said he reserved the right to switch back to Henne if things don't go well but I'm not so sure about that.

If we don't thin Henne is our future, the ONLY guy who IMO is worth trading up for is Andrew Luck. Kid is special.

I like Locker too, but he has a lot of risks and even as a 5th year senior he is behind in his development because of his years under Willingham.

Mallett has all the physical tools in the world, but I worry about his IQ. For every great throw he makes, he makes another dumb one.

Forgot about Nick Foles. I like him, but don't know if I like him enough to call him a franchise guy.

Really this QB draft isn't THAT good. Hell, the only guy we're talking about who would be in the draft for sure is Locker (Mallett will probably leave Arkansas too). But it's really Luck and Locker above everybody else, with Luck being the most NFL ready.

If we don't thin Henne is our future, the ONLY guy who IMO is worth trading up for is Andrew Luck. Kid is special.

I like Locker too, but he has a lot of risks and even as a 5th year senior he is behind in his development because of his years under Willingham.

Mallett has all the physical tools in the world, but I worry about his IQ. For every great throw he makes, he makes another dumb one.

Forgot about Nick Foles. I like him, but don't know if I like him enough to call him a franchise guy.

Really this QB draft isn't THAT good. Hell, the only guy we're talking about who would be in the draft for sure is Locker (Mallett will probably leave Arkansas too). But it's really Luck and Locker above everybody else, with Luck being the most NFL ready.

I've heard conflicting reports on Luck entering the draft. Heard family wants him to graduate (who wouldn't want a degree from Stanford...pretty prestigious school) but I also heard if he were to go top 5 he may enter...you also have to consider whether or not he wants to play for Buffalo cause that's his most likely destination.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

The last time we used a first round draft pick on a QB was something like 25-26 years ago.

1983 to be exact.

I've heard conflicting reports on Luck entering the draft. Heard family wants him to graduate (who wouldn't want a degree from Stanford...pretty prestigious school) but I also heard if he were to go top 5 he may enter...you also have to consider whether or not he wants to play for Buffalo cause that's his most likely destination.

if he enters the draft this year, he's likely the number 1 overall pick. Hell, he could wait a year and probably still be the number 1 QB. If Luck doesn't enter this year, the 2012 class at QB IMO will be a lot better with Luck, Foles (again if he doesn't enter), Blaine Gabbert (personally I love the kid), Kirk Cousins (I do like, but maybe not as a franchise QB), and potentially Matt Barkley (doubt he'd leave early) and Tom Savage (def won't enter early but really like him too)

The funny thing is that many of you actually think this team will make a whole-hearted attempt to address the QB hole on this team instead of a late round pick or a free agent retread. Get ready to be disappointed, folks. It will be the Moss waiver day all over again.

Back
Top Bottom