9-7 Season would be Miracle | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

9-7 Season would be Miracle

They lose Kevin Carter though, i think he was a solid part of our pass rush. Not to mention we still have done nothing to solidify our terrible secondary, although Bell the ENTIRE season should be better.

Kevin Carter wasn't worth what we were paying him. Sure he had an OK season, but so did Matt Roth he's young, talented and hungry ready to take over a starting roll. How many DE's do we need?

Terrible secondary?? You mean the secondary that finished 4th overall in the league last year?? Lets not forget our Defense was stout against the run so teams didn't simply run the ball down our throat padding the secondary stats. We had a fantastic front 7 the put a lot of pressure on the QB ofcourse that will help the secondary a lot, but that's the case in most top Defenses.

We're fast and very good at run defense in the secondary. Our only problem last year was creating turnovers, but how much of that problem was due to Sabans complex defense? Remember the DB's have been quoted on more then one occasion saying Saban's Defensive schemes made it tough to use your instiuncts because they were thinking so much. This is all Dom Capers D this year no more Saban and expecting perfection from every position.

Kevin Carter wasn't worth what we were paying him. Sure he had an OK season, but so did Matt Roth he's young, talented and hungry ready to take over a starting roll. How many DE's do we need?

Terrible secondary?? You mean the secondary that finished 4th overall in the league last year?? Lets not forget our Defense was stout against the run so teams didn't simply run the ball down our throat padding the secondary stats. We had a fantastic front 7 the put a lot of pressure on the QB ofcourse that will help the secondary a lot, but that's the case in most top Defenses.

We're fast and very good at run defense in the secondary. Our only problem last year was creating turnovers, but how much of that problem was due to Sabans complex defense? Remember the DB's have been quoted on more then one occasion saying Saban's Defensive schemes made it tough to use your instiuncts because they were thinking so much. This is all Dom Capers D this year no more Saban and expecting perfection from every position.

Kevin Carter has consistently been one of the solid defensive players in the NFL. He may not have been worth the salary he was getting at his age, but his loss will be noted i will guarantee you that.

Our secondary IS terrible. The fact that we sacked the QB 47 times and hurried them many others made it ranked high, but everyone on this forum knows how we struggled in the defensive backfield and again COULD NOT CREATE TURNOVERS like you said.

Matt Roth has proven nothing.....I think he will prove to be a good player, but i cant say he's of equal value to someone as solid as Kevin Carter. Honestly i dont see how our pass rush will be as good as it was the last two seasons.

Lets face it.

First year HC and staff
No QB right now
New offensive system takes year to implement, second year to execute
Unsettled O Line, including LT
Same slow WR until Ginn breaks line up but then he is a rookie

This is just evidence the our phins are indeed rebuilding. It will take 1 or 2 more drafts to catch up to New England, San Diego, Colts, Denver and others.

I would be happy with a 9-7 season.

Lets face it, New Orleans accomplished what you said was a miracle last year, this team could do it too.

Kevin Carter has consistently been one of the solid defensive players in the NFL. He may not have been worth the salary he was getting at his age, but his loss will be noted i will guarantee you that.

I disagree, I don't think he will be missed much if at all. If there's one place on this team we are super deep it's Dline. Evident by Carters outright release.

Our secondary IS terrible. The fact that we sacked the QB 47 times and hurried them many others made it ranked high, but everyone on this forum knows how we struggled in the defensive backfield and again COULD NOT CREATE TURNOVERS like you said.

Umm, if the QB is sacked then he's not throwing the Ball if he's not throwing the ball you're not going to get an INT. Nevertheless, like I said they finished the season 4th overall. You are not "TERRIBLE" if you finish in this league that high. You're trying to lump everything the secondary was into the turnovers. So fine. look at it any way you like. I think the secondary played very well conisdering the the amount of change this teams faced from 05 to 06.

BTW, tunovers aren't the measuring stick for a secondary. The secondary really settled down and played solid football the last 2/3 of the season. You also notice Miami didn't make one change or addition in either FA or the draft in the secondary?? I would think the coaching staff likes what they see in the secondary. If they were as bad as you want to believe we had plenty of opportunity to upgrade this offseason and we didn't even try and add player with one or our 6 second day picks.

Matt Roth has proven nothing.....I think he will prove to be a good player, but i cant say he's of equal value to someone as solid as Kevin Carter. Honestly i dont see how our pass rush will be as good as it was the last two seasons.

We must be watching two different teams, cause you must be nuts if you think Matt has done nothing with the limited action he's been given. I would suggest you get your hands on some game film and watch him play. He won't make a probolw from a backup roll, but he had a solid season and he is ready to take Kevins spot as the starter.

IMO 5-11 would be a miracle given the slop that the dolphins call a roster right now.

You have no offensive line or QB. Ronnie Brown is still a bust, Chambers was a one year wonder, and you lost a solid TE.

On defense all your star players are one year older and slower, and Cam Cameron already proved his incompetance by drafing a 2nd round calibur player in the top 10.

Sorry but I see the dolphins picking #1 overall in 2008.

You mean the same 2nd round caliber guy that Houston was going to take 1 pick after us, and the Rams had in their sites a few picks later? That one?

As for your other points, they're almost too ridiculous to merit a response. Most "busts" would love to average 4.3 YPC their first few years in the league. Heck, LT only averaged 3.6 his rookie year. You probably called him a bust too.

But perhaps you're right. Maybe we should have done what you guys did to fix your offensive line problems by greatly overpaying Steve Hutchinson money for offensive lineman who aren't even in his ballpark.

have sum faith people i think we may suprise this year... in previous years we have been thought of as the team to beat and we choked... now that we are believed to choke we may open sum eyez

have sum faith people i think we may suprise this year... in previous years we have been thought of as the team to beat and we choked... now that we are believed to choke we may open sum eyez

I think we're going to do better this year purely because Cam is calling the plays on offense. We are definitely going to have more speed on offense with Ted Ginn out there. Hopefully Samson Satele is going to step up big this year and be a star ... god knows we needed a bigtime Oline stud out of this draft. Maybe Vernon Carey will blow everyone's minds this year at left tackle and be awesome ... maybe even Pro Bowl level. This is the year Vernon should have his breakout. He's a first round Olineman from 2004. It's time he proved he can be elite in this league.

Our defense will be solid again this year. We were the #4 ranked defense last year. I think Dom Capers will keep us a top 5 defense again for 2007 one way or another. Our linebacker crew has got to be one of the best if not THE best in the NFL. I hear Jason Allen has been looking good in practices so far this year (watch FINS-TV on www.miamidolphins.com ). I hope Dom and our DB coaches are training those guys hard. They'll be facing some tough competition this year ... like Brady throwing to Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth twice a year.

I say 8-8. The first half of the schedule looks fairly weak. They face more competition from the last half.

Worries - Secondary looks bleak. O-Line unknown. Brown not as aggressive as I'd like to see him be with his frame and speed. Receivers good, not great.
By the time the Offense clicks our Defense will be retired. Of course, the Biggie - No QB. No, DC is not the answer & neither is Green. Our 26 yr old rookie? Who knows. Hell, I hope he starts.

Hopes - Start with the last point. Beck turns out underated. Our 3-4 yr old talent comes alive. Lorenzo looks like a good 3rd down back or backfield receiver. Ginn in the slot and on kick returns sounds promising.

Offseason - Some quirky moves. Like Beck instead of Quinn, the pursuit of Green... only player I regret losing is Welker. If half our team had his desire & effort, we'd have won the Superbowl by now. McMichael? Good riddance. Have no patience for his many drops and his many smiles after those drops. This guy from GB will be just as good.

Still think the AFC teams to beat are NE & SD.

Lets face it.

First year HC and staff
No QB right now
New offensive system takes year to implement, second year to execute
Unsettled O Line, including LT
Same slow WR until Ginn breaks line up but then he is a rookie

This is just evidence the our phins are indeed rebuilding. It will take 1 or 2 more drafts to catch up to New England, San Diego, Colts, Denver and others.

I would be happy with a 9-7 season.

It wouls be a miracle if people filled with idiocracy would stop posting on this board!

It's not a miracle. That's not to say I wouldn't be happy if we had a worse record, as long as we showed progress as an offense.

I'll tell you -- There are so many overrated teams in this league that we could end up higher than most of them by season's end. A miracle record would be 11-5. It's when you win more than 10 games that you're entering the realm of elite teams that only make up 6-7 teams. We may not be able to contend with the Baltimore's and the New England's but changes in strength of schedule will most likely see teams fall back behind us.

Right now IMO your team is a 6-10 team at worst. Couple of them losses will be close though and could go either way so I would have to guess RIGHT now you are 8-8 team at best and 6-10 at worst.

obviously I reserve the right to change that as the off season progresses

I have to agree. However, the Phins defense could be extra nasty with Joey Porter. Even with an offense that drug their heels, the Phins were close in a lot of games they lost last season. Right now, I'm not predicting or ruling out anything until I see them play in preseason. In the modern NFL, you can go from picking top ten in the draft to playoffs very quickly.

Quote (BuffaloStampede): (click to expand/collapse)
Originally Posted by BuffaloStampede
IMO 5-11 would be a miracle given the slop that the dolphins call a roster right now.

You have no offensive line or QB. Ronnie Brown is still a bust, Chambers was a one year wonder, and you lost a solid TE.

On defense all your star players are one year older and slower, and Cam Cameron already proved his incompetance by drafing a 2nd round calibur player in the top 10.

Sorry but I see the dolphins picking #1 overall in 2008.

I have a feeling, that if McMichael was still on the team your comment would have been: McMichael is still a bust instead of "You lost a solid TE". :evil:

Back
Top Bottom