Aaron Brewer to the Dolphins | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aaron Brewer to the Dolphins

Now that is interesting that he had the 13th best pass block win rate as Tua usually had the ball out of his hands by that point. ESPN pass block win rate uses a 2.5 second check to see if the OL has maintained his block while Tua's average time to release was 2.3 seconds.

Maybe his pass blocking isn't as bad as the PFF metric would suggest? Maybe the Titan's QB's just held the ball too long?

Good point.

If he can hold a block for longer then 2.1 seconds, he actually would be an upgrade.

I haven't watched any film on him yet. I'd been meaning to b/c he had been mentioned as an ideal fit by a few pundits whose opinion I respect. I have come to believe that the most important factor in the success or failure of a FA signing (outside of injury) is scheme fit. IMO that's why we've struggled to build an OL here, too much coaching turnover and scheme changes left too many poor fits. Building an OL in the NFL is tough enough. With constant scheme changes I would say it's practically impossible.

I also don't put much stock in the pass pro stats/evaluations. I find that those are more of a QB stat. And frankly, as much as I respected Tannehill during his time here, his pocket presence is poor on a legendary level. And Levis was a rookie, a very good rookie, but still one prone to rookie level pocket management. Unless I see a bunch of film where Brewer is completely whiffing in pass pro, I'm not going to be too worried about his pass pro.

Gosh dang it man.

Fine, GRYPHONK will give him a chance lol.

Your post was sound reasoning.

I know its been mentioned before, but you never know when it finally clicks and you are like " OK, I get their point" lol

Gosh dang it man.

Fine, GRYPHONK will give him a chance lol.

Your post was sound reasoning.

I know its been mentioned before, but you never know when it finally clicks and you are like " OK, I get their point" lol
The part that I'm excited about is that by all reports he is an upgrade as a run blocker even over Williams who was a really good run blocker for us. Compared to Eich it's not even close. I firmly believe that the biggest difference between our run game (and overall offense) that was on a record setting pace and our run game and offense at the end of the season was the huge downgrade at C. That C position is one of the keys to this system. Arguably it may be the most critical offensive position after QB.

If Brewer is as advertised then I like the prospects for our offense to look more like the one that was on a record setting pace before Williams got hurt. Obviously there's still more work to be done on the interior OL, but this signing may end up being the key that re-opens this offense's potential.

Brewer's impact on the short passing game could be huge. Group him with Jonnu Smith and Alex Ingold with three get-open-quick YAC WR/scatbacks. These agile blockers with the ability to hit 2nd level targets while moving can be game changing. If it's working, defenses may need to use less hands in a dirt defenders against a 2-1 formation.

The offensive line roster may be tackle heavy and continuity may be a goal. Eich, Kion Smith, and Ryan Hayes may be top 8 linemen that need playing time. If they bring back Lamm and draft a potential Armstead replacement, then it's unlikely there is a separate team athletic profile for the guard position.

The 49ers had some plays where Trent Williams lined up in the backfield. Brewer seems ideal as a move piece when going to a heavy 6 OL formation. Game situations throughout the season can favor a rotation of OL. For instance, there's no need to have Armstead on the field to run the clock down against a weaker team. Short yardage may need bigger players for a push, come from behind 4th quarter may need the best pass protectors, etc. Defenses have used multiple position players and those better a game situations, which may offer an offensive coach that likes to break with conventional wisdom an opportunity to tinker.

Brewer's impact on the short passing game could be huge. Group him with Jonnu Smith and Alex Ingold with three get-open-quick YAC WR/scatbacks. These agile blockers with the ability to hit 2nd level targets while moving can be game changing. If it's working, defenses may need to use less hands in a dirt defenders against a 2-1 formation.

The offensive line roster may be tackle heavy and continuity may be a goal. Eich, Kion Smith, and Ryan Hayes may be top 8 linemen that need playing time. If they bring back Lamm and draft a potential Armstead replacement, then it's unlikely there is a separate team athletic profile for the guard position.

The 49ers had some plays where Trent Williams lined up in the backfield. Brewer seems ideal as a move piece when going to a heavy 6 OL formation. Game situations throughout the season can favor a rotation of OL. For instance, there's no need to have Armstead on the field to run the clock down against a weaker team. Short yardage may need bigger players for a push, come from behind 4th quarter may need the best pass protectors, etc. Defenses have used multiple position players and those better a game situations, which may offer an offensive coach that likes to break with conventional wisdom an opportunity to tinker.
Nice post. I think it'd be great to have a "power plan b" to our open space/timing/deception/speed/motion based plan A (which I love, but still...). Problem is we barely have the cap/ draft picks to fill our holes for plan A. But if we can do it on the cheap, or with repurposing (Brewer playing at more than just the C?), then great. Plan B- "Break glass in case of short yardage, bad weather, or game situations" :chuckle:

Nice post. I think it'd be great to have a "power plan b" to our open space/timing/deception/speed/motion based plan A (which I love, but still...). Problem is we barely have the cap/ draft picks to fill our holes for plan A. But if we can do it on the cheap, or with repurposing (Brewer playing at more than just the C?), then great. Plan B- "Break glass in case of short yardage, bad weather, or game situations" :chuckle:
I'm suggesting that within the existing players that may be some natural variation that can be schemed. Brewer may be an unique player where he's undersized but has power by hitting his target effectively. Any back-up center would probably make the line more conventional as they won't have the range to effectively block some defenders so Plan B is more of running more of standard plays. Using Brewer in special formation as we did with Christian Wilkins doesn't seem too demanding, especially for a player with NFL experience at multiple positions.

Better lines seem to be better at interchanging their players; either to deal with injury or reshuffle the line to improve performance. An odd move is RG to RT, yet John Jerry pulled it off when Long was injured. Perhaps, Austin Jackson fits this mode of going from LG to RT. Hopefully, the OL coach may not be pushing for more immediate help if his depth players can anchor and hit their wbs marks.

I'm suggesting that within the existing players that may be some natural variation that can be schemed. Brewer may be an unique player where he's undersized but has power by hitting his target effectively. Any back-up center would probably make the line more conventional as they won't have the range to effectively block some defenders so Plan B is more of running more of standard plays. Using Brewer in special formation as we did with Christian Wilkins doesn't seem too demanding, especially for a player with NFL experience at multiple positions.

Better lines seem to be better at interchanging their players; either to deal with injury or reshuffle the line to improve performance. An odd move is RG to RT, yet John Jerry pulled it off when Long was injured. Perhaps, Austin Jackson fits this mode of going from LG to RT. Hopefully, the OL coach may not be pushing for more immediate help if his depth players can anchor and hit their wbs marks.
Those are interesting ideas. I'd guess the major draw back to having these OL rotations would be that after a while, frequencies would lead to tells as to what's coming. There are situations where this would be minimal, such as 2nd-3rd and short or 3rd and longs, where the actual nature of the play is sort of expected anyway.

Back
Top Bottom