Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

OMG dude where in this exchange did i say anything negative about Tannehill if you can show me, I will log out right now and go away. I simply said he had 774 something pass attempts in reference to the gentleman who said he learned to play QB in the NFL.

Don't lump me with other people when i have stated multiple times that he is the best QB we've had since Marino. I never said he sucked or that we should cut him or anything of the sort. My biggest issue is inconsistency not lack of talent.

I can appreciate what you're trying to say but to the regulars here your supposed benign approach is transparent. Every post is a detraction from anything positive about RT. Don't try to treat us like we're stupid. You don't need to log out but man up and just own it.

So because i have previously stated i didn't think Tannehill was the answer and gave my opinion on him, if I post anything about Tannehill even if i just say something simple like he threw a lot of passes in college, it will always be interpreted as some underlying dig? I can no longer post about Tannehill without other posters thinking im bashing him in some way?If next year he continues 2016 successful run and proves me wrong (which I hope he does) and i say Ryan Tannehill is a damn good QB...it will be taken as me having hidden motives?

My supposed detraction has less to do with Tannehill and more to do with some posters who seemingly like to blame everyone BUT him. The hypocriticalness of saying the ineptitude of Philbin and lack of talent is what is holding back Tannehill yet no other player seems to get that excuse. If other players play bad, its solely their fault and not their surroundings. Example the run game is constantly been blamed as a culprit for Ryan's lack of success in terms of wins as if having the worst OL in the league only affects the QB. As if having a bad coach only affects Ryan and not the rest of the team.

As tiring as it is for the Tannehill supporters to see threads/posts bashing Tannehill, i'm sure its equally as tiring for Tannehill haters to see threads/posts praising him. The supporters seemingly never have anything negative to say about him, while the haters seemingly never have anything positive to say about him. I personally don't see myself as a Tannehill hater because I want him to succeed even if I don't believe he has the goods nor do I believe him to be a bad QB. I'd like to believe im impartial but I also like to believe I'm amazing in bed so what do i know. Haters probably rank him to low and supporters probably rank him too high. To me the only way to prove his worth is to have consistently good seasons of good play for the majority of the season, not just a 7 or 8 game stretch.

I come here to discuss the Dolphins and if someone disagrees with my opinion i don't mind a little back and forth. I like to believe I'm reasonably cordial besides that one thread sorry "finfaninbuffalo."

Thats my speech and I am done talking about Ryan Tannehill until the 2018 season starts. May he throw 56 TD's and bring the record back, this is why I have I only have 535 post since 2003. #All opinions matter #God Bless America.

Last edited:
Ok. So lets assume that. The ineptitude of the player, fo and coach to have him out there still And to not have a plan as backup, is enough to tell me the level of incompetency in the team

As if having a bad coach only affects Ryan and not the rest of the team.
And that's true, it affects the entire team. However, I've read too often here that you just have to change the QB and all the problems will go away. That's just not the case and I'm pretty sure there's still some people who believe that.

And that's true, it affects the entire team. However, I've read too often here that you just have to change the QB and all the problems will go away. That's just not the case and I'm pretty sure there's still some people who believe that.

There's no singular position in the sport that is more important or more impactful than the quarterback. That is a fact. Trying to get by with a guy who is merely "OKAY" is not a recipe for sustained excellence.

My supposed detraction has less to do with Tannehill and more to do with some posters who seemingly like to blame everyone BUT him. The hypocriticalness of saying the ineptitude of Philbin and lack of talent is what is holding back Tannehill yet no other player seems to get that excuse. If other players play bad, its solely their fault and not their surroundings. Example the run game is constantly been blamed as a culprit for Ryan's lack of success in terms of wins as if having the worst OL in the league only affects the QB. As if having a bad coach only affects Ryan and not the rest of the team.

Did you happen to notice that Tannehill is the only individual player you mentioned? Not Lamar Miller. In fact, in the past people have blamed the problems with the running game on the OL. Posts blaming Lamar Miller for the running game problems were nearly non-existent. That is the whole point.

Another example, the run defense. There are no posts blaming Suh for the problems in the run defense. None. No posts blaming Cam Wake or Reshad Jones for the pass defense. For every other player on the team (except Tannehill) posters are able to look beyond team performance and recognize that not every player should be equally implicated in the poor performance of the unit.

There are people who believe it and people who NEED to believe it. Not sure which is worse.

Ok. So lets assume that. The ineptitude of the player, fo and coach to have him out there still And to not have a plan as backup, is enough to tell me the level of incompetency in the team

Stopped reading after "Let's assume that. The ineptitude of the player...."

There's no singular position in the sport that is more important or more impactful than the quarterback. That is a fact. Trying to get by with a guy who is merely "OKAY" is not a recipe for sustained excellence.
I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the notion that you only need to get the QB position right and all other issues will be magically fixed. There's still pre-snap penalties, missed tackles, missed assignments, drops, fumbles, etc.

If these issues became non-existent with the "right" QB, the Miami Dolphins would have won at least one Superbowl between 1983 and 1999, the New Orleans Saints would have been in the playoffs more than once between 2012 and 2016, the Green Bay Packers would have more than one Superbowl appearance in the last 10 years. What I'm saying is that even if you replace Ryan Tannehill with Aaron Rodgers, Mike Pouncey et al are still the same players, will still commit the same dumb penalties, the defense will still not be able to cover a TE, the kick returner will still bring it out of the endzone 8 yards deep.

Ryan Tannehill is good enough to win a Superbowl, I have zero doubts about that. But like any other QB in the history of the game, he cannot do it with the offensive line and defense being 28th in the league or worse.

I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the notion that you only need to get the QB position right and all other issues will be magically fixed. There's still pre-snap penalties, missed tackles, missed assignments, drops, fumbles, etc.

If these issues became non-existent with the "right" QB, the Miami Dolphins would have won at least one Superbowl between 1983 and 1999, the New Orleans Saints would have been in the playoffs more than once between 2012 and 2016, the Green Bay Packers would have more than one Superbowl appearance in the last 10 years. What I'm saying is that even if you replace Ryan Tannehill with Aaron Rodgers, Mike Pouncey et al are still the same players, will still commit the same dumb penalties, the defense will still not be able to cover a TE, the kick returner will still bring it out of the endzone 8 yards deep.

Ryan Tannehill is good enough to win a Superbowl, I have zero doubts about that. But like any other QB in the history of the game, he cannot do it with the offensive line and defense being 28th in the league or worse.

Exactly this.

I'm (obviously) a Tannehill supporter, but I still would not be averse to taking a QB in the first, even though there are definitely more than one "high ceiling/low floor" QB there. It's a gamble, but might be one worth taking.

I think one should *definitely* be selected in the first 3-4 rounds, but would have difficulty passing on Smith if he's there at 11.

Russel Wilson had one of the most impressive seasons a qb has ever had in terms of total team impact.

He didn’t make the playoffs.

This notion that a qb changes everything is the dumbest argument a DOLPHINS FAN CAN MAKE. Best qb ever didn’t win a ring, because he had zero help. Yet people expect those kind of guys all the time.

This fanbase is ****ing stupid.

No qb this year is worth a top 10 pick.

I wouldn’t take any of them, outside of Rosen, in the top 15.

This is the thing that the "draft a QB" crowd doesn't understand. Cleveland as been sucked into the "must draft a QB in the first round" trap and as a result drafted Quinn, Weeden, and Manziel. They also decided that 2nd and 3rd round picks should be used and got Kizer, Kessler, McCoy, and Frye.

They over drafted all of those players because the QB is the most important position. As a result, they not only lose games, and waste time with sub standard QBs, they are missing out on better players.

Why do some fans want to follow the Cleveland model?

I think Clevelands lack of success has less to do with them using 7 picks on QB's in the last 112 picks. And more to do with them just drafting really bad with the other 105 picks.

Back
Top Bottom