Amendola Signing Grade: D+ | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Amendola Signing Grade: D+

With $40M in cap space, and being desperate for WR help, even the Bears weren't willing to spend $7M on Albert Wilson. What does that tell you?

It means we outbid them or sold him on playing in Miami instead of Chicago.

So we made a bad signing because somebody didn’t outbid us? I don’t necessarily agree with that.

It was reported the Bears “really wanted him.”

But I guess we’ll see this upcoming season.

Well let's see....(1) Watkins and Wilson don't play the same position, (2) Watkins is only going to count $8M against the Chief's salary cap this year, (3) Andy Reid has no viable slot receiver on his roster and its a huge part of his playcalling, (4) Albert Wilson was Mahomes' favorite target (see Denver game), and (5) Chief had over $21M in cap space as of last week and didnt even make Wilson a serious offer. What else is there?

Yes, but Watkins was a deep threat which fits Mahomes “gunslinger mentality”.

They obviously really wanted Watkins or they wouldn’t have offered him that much money. Wouldn’t you rather have Watkins over Wilson? I know I would.

I wouldn’t necessarily say one game shows that he was his favorite target. It’s a small sample size.

I also don’t get what Watkins cap hit this year has to do with anything. 1. We don’t even know Wilson’s yet and 2. Watkins got A LOT more guaranteed money. I can tell you that much.

So we made a bad signing because somebody didn’t outbid us? I don’t necessarily agree with that.
No, we made a bad signing because we grossly overpaid for a slot receiver, and it was right after Tannenbaum made a statement that he wasn't going to overpay a slot receiver (see Jarvis Landry).

It was reported the Bears “really wanted him.”

Again, this just reinforced my point. A former coach "really wanted him", he has $40M to spend, is desperate for WR help, yet didn't think he was worth $7M. What tells you that we got a good deal?

No, we made a bad signing because we grossly overpaid for a slot receiver, and it was right after Tannenbaum made a statement that he wasn't going to overpay a slot receiver (see Jarvis Landry)

Big difference between 4-5 million a year for Wilson and $15 million for Landry.

No, we made a bad signing because we grossly overpaid for a slot receiver, and it was right after Tannenbaum made a statement that he wasn't going to overpay a slot receiver (see Jarvis Landry).

Again, this just reinforced my point. A former coach "really wanted him", he has $40M to spend, is desperate for WR help, yet didn't think he was worth $7M. What tells you that we got a good deal?

You know what they offered.. the kid from FL might of wanted to go home

Big difference between 4-5 million a year for Wilson and $15 million for Landry.

Its ok to overpay Wilson by $4M but not overpay Landry by $4M? or Jawuan James? or any other player?

In terms of wasting cap, wasted money is wasted money.

OK serious question....has anyone actually watched Albert Wilson and thought he was worth $24M for 3 years?

Its ok to overpay Wilson by $4M but not overpay Landry by $4M? or Jawuan James? or any other player?

In terms of wasting cap, wasted money is wasted money.
Every FA has been overpaid.

So you think we got a good deal?
No but it's the rate you pay for the players you want. We don't know what the Bears offered but they were pursuing him and maybe he preferred Miami.

No but it's the rate you pay for the players you want.

Fair enough, but to me this isn't just a slight overpayment because of a competitive free agent market. Its just Tannenbaum wasting money where it doesn't need to be wasted. The good teams in this league don't make moves like that. This is why we will have to cut players again next year to get under the cap again.

I actually like this signing more than I probably should.

Back
Top Bottom