Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

IMO he's not a special teams player. Has he ever even played special teams? He was a 5 start recruit at one point I doubt he's played a lot of special teams in his career so running him out there at the highest level of specials seems like a bad idea to me. This whole team is filled with "special teams" type linebackers. Let them do that work.

TannDaMan17 and catzero4 like this.
  2. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Zach and JT weren't 2nd round picks, and immediate starters, at a critical position. You're basically saying that all rookies should play special teams simply because they are rookies. There are exceptions however, like I personally don't believe it would have been smart for Carolina to play Kuechly on specials just because he was a rookie, knowing how good he is and how improtant he is to that team, even as a rookie. Raekwon isn't on that level and not a first round pick, but a lot more valuable out of the gate than JT and Zach were. Wasn't worth the risk, we needed him at mike this season, now we're in deep s***. But I've got baseball so I'm kool lol.

catzero4 likes this.
  3. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Kuechely was a top 10 pick and 3 down LB who would see literally 100% of the defensive snaps. Raekwon was likely going to see under 50% of the snaps. There is a big difference man.

4. Martel13

In the same way there's a difference between a 5th rounder (ZT) and Rae. I respect your opinion but I just can't see having him out there as a smart move on any level. Agree to disagree

catzero4 likes this.
  5. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

He was extremely active on special teams at Ohio State . . . and this was with him starting at MLB and being a key defensive playmaker on much more than 50% of the snaps.

6. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

It's football and players get injured. If he had gotten injured on his first play playing defense who's fault is it then? The D.C?

7. Kdawg954

Ultra thin at LB? I mean even without Misi, 6 LB positions were pretty much set in stone. Now you take a hit, like any other team would, when you lose a player you expect to start . . . but there really was no risk here. Raekwon was gonna play a ton of special teams this year unless either Kiko or Timmons went down.

8. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

I agree, but still as s***** as our LB corps has been in recent years, risking McMillian on specials is a risk I wouldn't have taken at any point this season. To each their own, GO NATS! I'm f****** done with this injury laden sport until week 1, and even then my enthusiasm has been cut in half, purely due to 3 injuries smfh.

catzero4 likes this.
  9. Martel13

But it wasn't it was on special teams

catzero4 likes this.
  10. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

No, because he was playing the position he was supposed to be. At that point it is football and a bad break. But this was just a bad move by the staff having him out there. The risk far outweighed the reward. Had we signed timmons and brown then I could totally agree with him being on special teams. But he was needed in the middle of the defense this year.

11. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

A whole lot has changed in football since the days of Zach and JT ...

My question is you have a bunch of bodies at LB trying to make the team. They are trying to make it as a back up ... and one way you do that is prove your worth on specials. Why is the starting middle LB playing specials in a preseason game when you're trying to whittle 9 down to like 6 ... determined largely by how they look on specials?

It's a high risk, zero reward situation - and it doesn't even make sense, to boot. I don't care if it's not uncommon practice. I would like to know why, in this instance, something like this is even considered logical at all.

catzero4 and Martel13 like this.
  12. Martel13

because its football and thats the way it is! lol

BobDole likes this.
  13. Kdawg954

Yea but Zach was a day 1 starter who played in an era where the base defense was the standard so he played in damn near all the snaps.

Raekwon is playing in an era where the nickel CB takes him off the field much more often and teams need guys to play special teams due to the 46 man rosters. You'd be crazy to have this talented kid sit on the bench and not give you anything on special teams.

It is not classified to be a considered a smart move or not . . . it is a necessary move.

14. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Reshad Jones is ultra talented. Lets put him on punt return while we are at it.

Putting McMillan on specials was not necessary. He was supposed to be learning so he could play more than 50 percent of snaps. And now that cant happen all because he just had to be on punt coverage.

15. Kdawg954

Yes things have changed a lot. Zach played in a base defense where the MLB was the star, played all the snaps . . . . and yet he still took his rookie *** out there in preseason and played special teams.

So now the rookie LB who will play far less snaps should be prevented from doing that?

He was playing specials on the first kickoff because all the players who start (including core special teamers) were going to get a few reps this game.

16. Kdawg954

Special teams now prevents you from learning to play the defense? Come on man. He can't even get a beer after the game, I'm pretty sure running out on special teams and than lining up to play LB wasn't going to hurt him. (apparantely it did jokes commence)

He would of gotten a lot of reps last night and I certainly hate this injury but this is just a ridiculous conversation to be quite honest.

DuderinoN703 likes this.
  17. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

I get all that. But I also get there's only 3 or 4 LBers that play kick off and there are at least that many on the current roster who are unknowns. Wouldn't it benefit the dolphins more to see what they have in all the fringe guys before trotting out the starting MLB on the opening kickoff of the first preseason game? What's the reward of this questionable decision? ... because I can tell you what the risk is.

catzero4 likes this.
  18. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

You cant replace playing experience and he wont get that now. Im not saying he cant learn because he tore his knee. But he cant get that experience he needed to become that 3 down baker now because of him being on special teams was so important.

Running out on special teams quite literally hurt him. It ended his season before he even got to line up at the position he was drafted for.

19. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

It's one thing to have an opinion on something but when it's as ludicrous as you saying you've lost faith in Gase b/c of football players getting injured on his watch, there may be other avenues you'd be better off pursuing.

Kdawg954 likes this.
  20. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

You clearly didnt read the post I was referring to.

21. Kdawg954

Of course, and they did that all night. Its like watching Landry getting hurt on the first play or even somebody like Reshad. The outcry would of been worse than this. Raekwon wasn't going to bash heads all night on special teams . . . but he certainly was going to be a key special teamer all year long so why not trot him out there on the first punt of the year and let him get his feet wet.

If that is the philosophy we are gonna take than we may as well not even bother with the preseason . . . but that is a whole other argument in itself.

22. DuderinoN703

So you flip flopped your opinion. I can't respond to both sides of it.

23. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Again, I get that and agree. I'll try and be more specific, using last night as an example. We scored 23 points, resulting in 4 kickoffs. I believe we punted 6 times. Not too out of the norm. So 10 plays to figure out which fringe guys you like enough on specials to get a roster spot. Wouldn't you want to have the largest sample size at your disposal to make this decision? Wouldn't an extra snap for let's say a Chase Allen be more beneficial than one for the Chef ... who you already have a pretty damn good idea is competely capable of handling these duties? I'm just trying to look at this objectively as possible without using history as a barometer.

There's a huge risk in the decision that was made. I'm just failing to see a reward ... getting his feet wet isn't really ringing that bell.

catzero4 likes this.
  24. DuderinoN703

You said he wouldn't learn while playing special teams did you not?

25. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

No I just didnt explain myself well to start off which is my bad.

DuderinoN703 likes this.
  26. DuderinoN703

**** happens. No worries.

catzero4 likes this.
  27. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

I mean he isnt learning how to play Mike backer on punt coverage is he?
    I said he wont get that playing experience now because hes hurt. Which was a result of him being on special teams. He doesnt need to be on punt coverage to learn to be the best he can at linebacker.

28. Kdawg954

You also have Atlanta's punts and points, plus both kickoffs to start the halfs. So lets say roughly 20 special teams plays.

I think Miami would like to see a guy who really has looked good in camp playing special teams get a rep or two in his first ever preseason game, in addition to playing quite a bit of LB as well.

I mean this happens so often and it really is being overanalyzed because of the injury. I guarantee you not one person says a thing about him being on special teams if he doesn't get hurt. It really makes it difficult to have a balanced conversation on it because hindsight has been thrown out the window.

I mean of course no team would put a starter out there if they knew they were gonna get hurt the next play. Its football and **** happens.

fishfanmiami and BobDole like this.
  29. DuderinoN703

How long does punt coverage take? 2 minutes? He wouldn't be coached up on the sidelines the entire time he's on the bench.

30. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Its not that. Its the fact that special teams reps, which have no barring on making him a better mike, robbed him of experience and playing time that is vital for him to grow as a mike.

31. Kdawg954

Because he got hurt . . . not because he is incapable of playing special teams while still getting the necessary experience at MLB.

32. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

I was talking more about specials where he would be tackling and not blocking, but point taken.

And I get it. I do. I would just like to go on record and say from this point forward I would rather see fringe guys on special teams in preseason games rather than starters you know can handle the job due to everything I posted above. I know hindsight is 20/20 and it does make this conversation a bit removed from reality ... but you're gonna have to take my word for it that I'd have this exact same position before the injury.

Let the guys trying to make the team kill each other on specials in the preseason and save the starters for meaningful snaps when the games matter.

33. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Ok, I'll settle all this now. He's gone for the year and blaming anything or anyone will not bring him back this season. Somebody else will play and that's that. It sucks but there's nothing anybody can do about it. I'm looking forward to next thursday and see who starts and how the defense plays overall. Normally the starters go at least one full quarter in the 2nd game. I believe our best option is Hull inside with Timmons and Kiko outside.....that's just my opinion but we'll see. Do yourselves a favor and don't drive yourselvels crazy over who's injured. You can't help it so move on.

Ozzy rules!!

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  34. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

He summed it up well.

35. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I believe Kuechely did play some special teams as a rookie too.

36. DuderinoN703

I'm aware of that. We can go around in circles all day talking about injuries. They happen in practice. They happen in games. They even happen at home when a guy slips in the shower. It sucks b/c we were expecting McMillan to help fill the void of ****ty defensive play and now this has to be remedied by someone else.

It is what it is.

37. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Thats fair. It is what it is. Hopefully someone steps up and plays adequately. At least whatever happens this year wont be a shock. If they win 10+ games it wouldnt surprise me but if they lose 10+ games it wont shock me either. Youll know if you have a generational coach at the end of this year.

38. DuderinoN703

If players are dropping like flies there's only so much Gase can do. It's up to Tannenbaum and Grier to provide the team with adequate depth.

39. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I think aliens would be more perplexed as to why we are wasting so much time watching a silly game in the first place rather than how many preseason games there are

Austin Tatious likes this.
  40. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Oh I agree with that. Im just saying that if the dolphins have a good year in spite of whats happened you know Gase is the real deal without a shadow of doubt.