Armando - Fins love Barnett and Lamp | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando - Fins love Barnett and Lamp

I agree that DE is a priority position, but if Lamp is the best player on the board after a run on DEs and you feel like all of the first round DEs are taken, and you can't get a sweet trade down, well,

I won't complain.

There are a lot of teams following us that want a LB. If we want Lamp, we may be able to trade with the Steelers if they want to get in front of the Chiefs for a LB, but the Texans may then take Lamp. If Lamp and Barnett are both gone at 22, then we need to take the best DE on our board. The latest mock has Barnett dropping to the 4th best but it seems wrong. I think Charles Harris will be our pick at 22.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017DE.php

22. Miami Dolphins
2016 record: 10-6 (.455)
Top needs: LB, OG, CB
Analysis: The addition of Lawrence Timmons doesn't fully address the Dolphins' issues at linebacker. The Dolphins could look to add some competition at the guard position while finding another young cornerback to groom as a future starter should be on the to-do list.

23. New York Giants
2016 record: 11-5 (.486)
Top needs: LT, MLB, QB
Analysis: Ereck Flowers isn't working out at left tackle and the Giants need new blood there. The play at linebacker hasn't been what the Giants had hoped for and they could look at both inside and outside spots. Eli Manning is 36 years old and they could use a QB to groom behind him.

24. Oakland Raiders
2016 record: 12-4 (.504)
Top needs: MLB, DT, CB
Analysis: The Raiders had hoped that their offseason changes at cornerback would help shore up that deficiency, but it looks shaky at best. The Raiders have improved their offensive line greatly, and now they need a stout defensive tackle. Middle linebacker is a possibility.

Eliminated during Divisional Round
25. Houston Texans
2016 record: 9-7 (.502)
Top needs: QB, OL, LB
Analysis: The Texans must find "the guy" at the quarterback position. It is almost certain that they will draft a QB this year. They have glaring needs at both right guard and right tackle. Finding a speedy ILB with cover talent is a need.

26. Seattle Seahawks
2016 record: 10-5-1 (.441)
Top needs: OT, DT, CB
Analysis: The first need should be left tackle and the second need should be right tackle. OT is that high of a priority. Adding talent at the hybrid DE/DT spot should be a possibility, as should finding another long-armed, physical playmaker at cornerback.

27. Kansas City Chiefs
2016 record: 12-4 (.508)
Top needs: ILB, DL, CB
Analysis: The Chiefs will need to find the next Derrick Johnson at an inside linebacker spot at some point, and adding depth at defensive line is a must. They need to find more help for the secondary, too.

28. Dallas Cowboys
2016 record: 13-3 (.471)
Top needs: DB, DE, TE
Analysis: Dallas has suffered mass departures in free agency throughout its secondary, so both CB and safety will have to be addressed. Dallas needs to find a game-changing pass rusher on the edge and soon. With Jason Witten showing signs of age, adding an in-line TE could be an underrated draft move.

Eliminated in conference championship

29. Green Bay Packers
2016 record: 10-6 (.508)
Top needs: CB, pass rusher, RB
Analysis: The Packers were a disaster at cornerback. They will likely draft more than one CB this year. Finding an edge rusher could be an early round consideration. Ty Montgomery did a nice job at RB last season, but they need to add to that position.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers
2016 record: 11-5 (.494)
Top needs: ILB, OLB, WR
Analysis: The outside linebacker spot should be a priority considering the age of newly re-signed James Harrison. With Lawrence Timmons' departure, a hole has developed at inside linebacker. The Steelers have a great wideout in Antonio Brown but need better complementary targets around him.

Super Bowl 51 loser
31. Atlanta Falcons
2016 record: 11-5 (.480)
Top needs: OG, DE, DT
Analysis: A starting right guard could be a "now" priority for the Falcons. If Atlanta wants to continue to build on a foundation of talent, it needs to keep finding pass rushers. They need depth at DT, but the addition of Dontari Poe (even for a year) could allow them to target secondary depth in middle rounds.

Sounds like Lamp will be the pick then at #22 because Barnett will not be there :bobdole: Im so tired of using high picks and throwing big money at O-linemen and still having a crappy line. Our defense needs so much attention because we have neglected it through the draft the last few years.

You mean Pouncey and James? Pouncey was deserving of his contract...not so much anymore, and James has been steady enough to get the 5th year. Everyone else was drafting o-line like everyone wants it to be done this draft. "You can find a good guard at any round," if that's the case we haven't had the best of luck with the 3rd round n down and o-linemen.

Besides, we've already improved the defense by having Timmons move Kiko to a pursuit position and the return of Jones. Drafting a LB, or DE that will be part of a rotation will not move the needle for the defense. That ship sailed in free agency.

People are underestimating the secondary needs. I really think other positions, LB and OL especially, will take a back seat to adding secondary defenders unless a top prospect, such as one from DE class, takes an unforeseen tumble.

People are underestimating the secondary needs. I really think other positions, LB and OL especially, will take a back seat to adding secondary defenders unless a top prospect, such as one from DE class, takes an unforeseen tumble.

Are you saying that a CB, or Safety should fly off the board at #22?

I'm not saying what I would do, I am simply speculating the Dolphins will heavily target secondary defenders.

I can see that as a possibilty...but what gets neglected with that strategy?

Are you saying that a CB, or Safety should fly off the board at #22?

At this point, a CB or Safety could very well be the pick @ 22. You just never know especially with how unpredictable this F/O has been since Tbaum took over. It may not be the expected or predicted pick, but, adding to the young core of CB's on the roster may give Miami the nessasary firepower to finally shut down other teams passing attacks. For arguments sake, let's say Miami comes away with a CB in round 1 and a FS in round 2 - 3, this sets Miami up for the next 5-6 years. It also allows them to rid themselves of a very in consistent player in Maxwell. JMHO!!!

I can see that as a possibility...but what gets neglected with that strategy?

I think the defensive strategy is a move for more snaps in the Nickel, so in that aspect it covers it. I think we'll place less emphasis on LB, more on DB, and continue to manicure the DL in the manner we have. Just a hunch.

As far as the offense is concerned, we ****ed up and wasted too many resources there last year for it be a priority. We must address this defense.

Get me a top guard in the first two rounds and the FO can do what they feel like doing. I don't trust Larsen and Bushrod...at least not as much as Gase does.

Get me a top guard in the first two rounds and the FO can do what they feel like doing. I don't trust Larsen and Bushrod...at least not as much as Gase does.

Neither do I, especially Bushrod, but I just feel we gave up a lot of liberties last year by ****ting away draft picks for offensive positions of non-need and now it's time to pay the piper and repair the defense regardless of what the offensive side of the board.

I have been wanting a LB at the 22 spot (barring a trade down) but upon further reflection, a DB is probably what is needed most.

Trouble is, what DB is better than the LBs available at 22?

I think the defensive strategy is a move for more snaps in the Nickel, so in that aspect it covers it. I think we'll place less emphasis on LB, more on DB, and continue to manicure the DL in the manner we have. Just a hunch.

As far as the offense is concerned, we ****ed up and wasted too many resources there last year for it be a priority. We must address this defense.

There was hope early in the free agency period...one of the top guards (Z̶e̶i̶t̶l̶e̶r̶)...the CB from Denver, Webster...the MLB from Carolina, Klein...they would have made this draft a bit easier to stomach.

This leads me to type "in gase we trust" with lowercase letters because his thumbprint was on last year's draft and this year's FA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wanting a LB at the 22 spot (barring a trade down) but upon further reflection, a DB is probably what is needed most.

Trouble is, what DB is better than the LBs available at 22?

Though I agree that secondary does need attention, in my opinion, I doubt very much that it will handled until at the earliest, the 3rd round (Unless there is someone special still there in the 2nd).

Miami's defense still revolves around effective pass-rush, and early recognition and penetration from those front 7 players. With a new D-coordinator who's expertise and line of thinking puts on the LB position, then secondary, three solid corners, Jones being back, and more help at safety by mid-season I doubt they go to high to get better in the secondary.

-JMO-

You know as well as I do that pass rushers are hard to find. This draft is one of the deepest at pass rusher in a long time ... but I still envision a few mini-runs on them in the 1st and 2nd. Good CB's are very valuable, true, but we can find CB's in every round of almost every draft, and there are plenty to be had this year. We don't value FS and we have 2 good SS's in Jones and maybe McDonald. Nickel can be had, but IMHO, we surely do not go for a nickel CB over a pass rusher in the top 2 rounds. If we're taking Sidney Jones at 54, well then sure, because after a rookie IR year, he's an elite starting boundary CB.

Passing on an elite pass rusher is a bad move. This coming from the guy who feels mortally wounded that we will be once-again screwing the pooch by not investing in OL. But honestly, that was the move to make in FA. Now is the time to get a young pass rusher or two.

I simply cannot believe I'm trying to persuade you to get behind a pass rush pick. :sidelol:

You know as well as I do that pass rushers are hard to find. This draft is one of the deepest at pass rusher in a long time ... but I still envision a few mini-runs on them in the 1st and 2nd. Good CB's are very valuable, true, but we can find CB's in every round of almost every draft, and there are plenty to be had this year. We don't value FS and we have 2 good SS's in Jones and maybe McDonald. Nickel can be had, but IMHO, we surely do not go for a nickel CB over a pass rusher in the top 2 rounds. If we're taking Sidney Jones at 54, well then sure, because after a rookie IR year, he's an elite starting boundary CB.

Passing on an elite pass rusher is a bad move. This coming from the guy who feels mortally wounded that we will be once-again screwing the pooch by not investing in OL. But honestly, that was the move to make in FA. Now is the time to get a young pass rusher or two.

I simply cannot believe I'm trying to persuade you to get behind a pass rush pick. :sidelol:

:up: It's just speculation on my part. I think they'll steer from LB in the early rounds given the apparent lack of snaps from an emphasis on the Nickel which will put that Slot CB, or S/LB hybrid on the field for at least 65% of the time (or even a full-time perimeter CB). One could argue the same amount of time will not be available to any other defensive spot at the moment, including DE, so there's added value for the extra nickel position in round one as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom