Armando says we’re screwed | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando says we’re screwed

We thought we "got lucky" when Tunsil fell to us. Unless we draft a QB, I don't see how the draft will make THAT much of a difference. Fact is, Tannenbaum has mortgaged this team on older players trying to "win now"...when we're nowhere near "win now". What we need is a change is culture. Our last decent chance was when we hired Parcells, but he left because he didn't like Ross. This tells me we won't have another chance until Ross sells the team.
Tbaum has not mortgaged the future. That narrative is false. We can have around 50 million in cap space if we wanted to. We can focus on building the defense as we have a decent enough quarterback. Your post tells me that you are uninformed and spreading false narratives.

There are two ways you win in this league. Either you have a hall of fame level qb or you have a halfway decent qb and a good defense. Tbaum inherited tannehill and hired an offensive minded coach who calls plays. He gave suh big money, signed Timmons, and went defense heavy last draft. The latter is clearly the plan. Building a team takes time and I expect us to go d-heavy this draft as well. Have a little patience before you judge. In no way are we a horrible team. We are an average team. Hopefully we get lucky in the draft and can make the leap
We went 6-10, that not average, that’s a team that ****ing sucks. Tannenbaum also gave Tannehill a huge contract extension (wouldn’t be the first mediocre quarterback that he overpaid) so what are you talking about?

We went 6-10, that not average, that’s a team that ****ing sucks. Tannenbaum also gave Tannehill a huge contract extension (wouldn’t be the first mediocre quarterback that he overpaid) so what are you talking about?

I' Not a Baum fan, but I'm growing tired of the 'Baum's bad decisions' rants. He doesn' work in a vacuum and all bad decisions have many hands on them

Way too early to give up on Tunsil. He could very well be special at an important position. I don't like all the FO decisions, but who are these older players that we've mortgaged the future? I'm not a big salary cap guy, but my understanding is that we can easily clear fairly significant cap on deadwood such as Thomas, Timmons. I actually feel that we've had what looks like two very solid/good drafts in a row that will hopefully provide a core of good, young players.

It’s amazing how quickly people want to pull the plug on a player. Sophomore slumps happen all the time. Let’s see how he responds before throwing him overboard.

Sure Armando made some good points and was great at pointing out all the mistakes the Dolphins made during the years, and they are many, but he has the luxury of sitting on his fat ass in his air conditioned office at his computer creating talking points, that is easy. He doesn't have to do the hard work, he doesn't have to come up with a strategy, he doesn't have to put together a team, he gets to criticize the finish work and that is easy. The coaches and the FO have to go out and create the culture he speaks about, draft well, fill our holes on the team, stop over paying for players and coach them up to beat the patriots. The patriots have not won every SB since 2001, they are beatable, a group of guys going up against another group of guys. We have no chance? Tom Brady or BB has to retire?.....man give me a damn break.

Last edited:
Can't disagree with any of the article, but one play can literally change the whole dynamic.

I thought Bortles played a pretty good game. 20 points, no mistakes that cost the team the game and close to 100 passer rating. All this despite a conservative offensive plan late in the game and at halftime. He played better than Tannehill has ever played there and on a much bigger stage. The defense was the strength of the Jags and they were a bigger reason for the loss. (2) 4th quarter TD’s allow. Even the best QB’s have little chance when their d give up 2 scores at the end.

I don’t completely disagree with you. Both mouthy CB’s had costly penalties, my advice keep your mouth shut if you can’t cover Cooks without interfering.

However 10 rushes for 25 yardson 1st down running into loaded fronts. Kneeling on the ball at the end of the half instead of fighting for a field goal. This reeks we don’t trust the QB. He had the ball in his hands with chance to win and he failed. More from that spot was needed.

He had the ball in his hands with chance to win and he failed. More from that spot was needed.

Agreed, A little more air on that last pass and he is the hero of the game. Jags needed him to hit that pass. It was there.

Can’t argue with that. When’s the last time Miami has been relevant? Lol remember when Miami had more super bowl wins and appearances than New England? New England has now doubled Miami’s SB appearances.
You do realize that N.E. has CHEATED their way to those Super Bowls? It's true, you can look it up. I've been wondering IF they have ever stopped cheating. Have they EVER not cheated???

We thought we "got lucky" when Tunsil fell to us. Unless we draft a QB, I don't see how the draft will make THAT much of a difference. Fact is, Tannenbaum has mortgaged this team on older players trying to "win now"...when we're nowhere near "win now". What we need is a change is culture. Our last decent chance was when we hired Parcells, but he left because he didn't like Ross. This tells me we won't have another chance until Ross sells the team.
We did get lucky when Tunsil fell to us. Look, this kid is 23 years old, just 23! The kid isn't dead he just needs to be coached up and given time to perfect his game and he will get better, did he take a step back this year? yes......big deal.

The future hasn't been mortgaged, the last draft proved that.......we are a young team especially in our secondary, the pieces are still being put together.

Ross has to sell the team for us to have a chance?.........what are you talking about?

You do realize that N.E. has CHEATED their way to those Super Bowls? It's true, you can look it up. I've been wondering IF they have ever stopped cheating. Have they EVER not cheated???

That and they’re almost guaranteed home field advantage because the AFC East has been so bad for so long. That being said, what they have done won’t ever be replicated in the NFL again IMHO. So I am impressed. Begrudgingly.

As far as Mando's article goes, well I've been dreaming about unseating NE since 2002 and it hasn't happened yet. It's pretty tough to disagree with him. I do think we're built for NE. Although I'm sure they will change it up next year so wo knows. That team is brilliant. They know their front 7 is average at best at force you to beat there very talented secondary. Many teams, I believe every team that was left in the playoffs this past Sunday, can't do it. We can IF WE GET GOOD QB PLAY. We have the pass catching talent to keep tham off balance. I think NO, PITT and Atlanta did as well. The remaining teams all have questionable QB's regardless of how good they've been.

I will say I've been dogging Foles and I'm done. Guy was lights out Sunday, I'll be rooting for him.

Armando is wrong. It's not about luck, and it's not about perpetually losing until you build up enough top 5 picks on your team. It's about seizing the opportunity when it's staring you in the face, and consistently making smart decisions.

This Dolphins organization makes tragically poor decisions. To name a few:
1. Shula never invests a pick in Marino's successor because he was thinking about his legacy, Marino's legacy, and not the team's.
2. Jimmy wants Norv Turner as OC to replace Gary Stevens, but Turner is not available. Instead of taking a chance on a young coordinator, he promotes Kippy Brown and the offense is the definition of bland.
3. Jimmy doesn't trade Marino. It would have been hard, but it needed to happen.
4. Jimmy shackles us with Wannstedt.
5. Wannstedt passes on Brees. Wannstedt made a ton of bad decisions, but this was the highlight.
6. Saban drafts Ronnie Brown and watches Aaron Rodgers fall, but doesn't trade back into the 1st round to get him.
7. Saban passes on Brees AGAIN. Goes with Culpepper instead.
8. Cam Cameron
9. Parcells robs the organization on a consulting contract and sticks us with a first time GM and first time head coach.
10. Jake Long. Not in itself a bad pick, but Matt Ryan was there and we needed a QB.

I'm going to stop there because the Failbin era is depressing. It's not luck Armando. It's developing a team culture and a philosophy, and sticking to it. Look at the Steelers. Yeah, they started winning big after hitting on Roethlisberger, but they also went to the playoffs with Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and Bubby Brister. The Packers maintained their philosophy from Ron Wolf to Ted Thompson. And of course the Patriots have been consistent winners with Belichick at the helm.

The Dolphins have struggled mightily to find THE GUY at the top who consistently makes good decisions. It's that simple.

I'd always heard that Belichick was Jimmy's first choice to run his defense, but turned him down to go to NY...oh what could have been.

Back
Top Bottom