Ask Boomer | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

my2cents said:
BY THE WAY.....thanks ahead of time for your answer and Happy Holidays to You and YOURS

also i do not think either is a product of " the system" as some seem to be

No worries....back at ya.

No, I don't either. Tuberville's offense is a pretty decent pro style attack. Brown blocks and catches and runs. Campbell drops back from under center, rolls out, shotgun, runs, etc etc.

Who is the better of the two JR. TE's..Marcedes Lewis of UCLA or Dominique Byrd of USC.....and any chance of either one or both entering the draft?

By the way Boomer....love all of your analysis' and to you and your family...Happy Holidays,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.Thanks for all of your time.

Hey Boomer,

I'm a newbie around here but I was just wondering...did you hear that Deangelo Williams broke his fibula? It was on sportscenter a couple days ago...Now, do you think this will make him stay in college for his senior year, or do you think he will enter the draft, thereby making him available maybe in the second round.

Thanks a lot,

Collin O'Brien

Hey Boomer thanks for answering all these questions, it is appreciated! My question is what do you think of Notre Dames Justin Tuck, and where do you think he will go in the draft? I've loved watching him at ND but I'm not sure what kind of pro he will be, he isnt that big which hurts him against the run and he seems to disappear when he matches up against top T's. He is only a junior so I'm hoping he comes back, but I'm not holding my breath.

Boomer -- thanks for the thread. Assuming Saban is hired, do you see him trying to fix the team quick in patchwork style, or taking a more long-term rebuilding approach and maybe dismantling the team a bit first? What do you see him doing with the #1 pick this year?

Anthony Davis

Boomer, thanks for the great info...its great to have someone who is this organized and really knows their s***

Where do you think Anthony Davis will be drafted? He has a lot of injury questions but when healthy he was a stud. What are your thoughts on him?

Bommer,if Surtain is to be dealt who would ya rather have Jimmy Williams or Antrel Rolle if Miami where to draft a CB with there 1st round pick??....Or do you have another CB in mind....These are my 2 best CB's.

Boomer,

With the hiring of Saban, what kinda plan do you think he'll have for the offseason.

He could pheasibly trade down in the first with san diego or dallas and get both Webster and Spears in the first and wilkerson in the third and have a LSU day one!?

Would he look at bringin in marcus randall?

Any free agents about that he has links to?

Does he like a strong running game and could he persuade Edge to come in or possibly even Ricky outta retirement. OR would he persue a first round back.

Chrz mate.

Hey Boomer,

Nice thread! I hope this hasn't been asked yet, If so my apologies. What type of offensive system can we expect next year now that Saban is coach? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Steve
(St. Cloud, FL.)

WelcomeBack said:
Who is the better of the two JR. TE's..Marcedes Lewis of UCLA or Dominique Byrd of USC.....and any chance of either one or both entering the draft?

By the way Boomer....love all of your analysis' and to you and your family...Happy Holidays,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.Thanks for all of your time.

First off, thanks.....Happy Holidays to u and your family.

Lewis HAS filed papers with the NFL to see his draft status but claims that he WILL NOT BE LEAVING UCLA. If that's the case, why is he filing papers??? But there you go. He had a good but not great season this year. Part of the reason he claims he is going back is because he's been assured that he'll be a bigger part of the offense next season, after grabbing 30 balls this year. It would be great if he did go back because he is still pretty raw and his blocking needs a lot of work. Plus, if he IS a bigger part of the offense, that will only enhance his reputation as a tremendously athletic pass catcher. His upside is really nice, but he needs to become a better blocker.

Byrd is a big target who became more of a weapon for Matt Leinart down the stretch. And he should be an intruiging match-up against the Sooner safeties next Tuesday. But again, I don't think he should declare. He is much more raw than Lewis, isn't refined in any aspect of his game - hands, blocking, routes, physical shape, etc.

When they both come out, I would strongly suspect that Lewis will be the higher pick.

earl the pearl said:
Hey Boomer,

I'm a newbie around here but I was just wondering...did you hear that Deangelo Williams broke his fibula? It was on sportscenter a couple days ago...Now, do you think this will make him stay in college for his senior year, or do you think he will enter the draft, thereby making him available maybe in the second round.

Thanks a lot,

Collin O'Brien

Hey Earl/Collin,

I did indeed see that - in fact I saw it happen as I was watching the game. I will be very surprised if he declares, although there has been no official announcement. He has nothing to gain as he will be rehabbing until after the draft. He may as well go back to Memphis 100%, have another banner year, prove his fitness and go in as a high pick in '06, ultimitely making more money for himself. If he enters this year, he will probably go in the 3rd round because of the injury and past injuries.

DonShula84 said:
Hey Boomer thanks for answering all these questions, it is appreciated! My question is what do you think of Notre Dames Justin Tuck, and where do you think he will go in the draft? I've loved watching him at ND but I'm not sure what kind of pro he will be, he isnt that big which hurts him against the run and he seems to disappear when he matches up against top T's. He is only a junior so I'm hoping he comes back, but I'm not holding my breath.

No worries Don. I like Tuck a lot. He should be the 1st Irish 1st rounder since Jeff Faine, although I think he should stay in school. He seems to be leaning towards declaring, but I have to think that the best decision is to stay in South Bend. He has some Dwight Freeney about him in that he's quick off the edge, rangy, gets excellent pad level and is very athletic. But yes he is small against the run, although if you look at a lot of RDE's in the league, he certainly fits with a vogue that has no sign of going away. I would like to see him be just a bit more consistent and really hit the weight room. He has room to add muscle that will toughen him up against the run.

He also is just one year off the ACL that he suffered against Syracuse, so the likelihood is that if he returns to the Domers, he will only enhance his draft rating. The interesting thing will be if he comes out and attends the Combine, what his weight actually is. I have seen him listed anywhere between 261 and 238. If he's 238, you have to think that he'll be an OLB in a 3-4. But if he's in the 255 to 270 region, then a pass rushing DE is going to go off the board in the top stanza. He claims he is 256, but we'll see.

He has played LB before so it's no stretch to think that he can play there.

shouright said:
Boomer -- thanks for the thread. Assuming Saban is hired, do you see him trying to fix the team quick in patchwork style, or taking a more long-term rebuilding approach and maybe dismantling the team a bit first? What do you see him doing with the #1 pick this year?

No worries shou.......well he is the man now. I honestly don't know. I think the team can be fixed pretty quickly - DT, on the OL, at safety and at TB. That can be achieved relatively quickly, if only to take advantage of the defense.

As for what he does in the draft, FA will dictate, but I think either TB or DL will be where he goes. There is some rumours that he will hire the UT running backs coach, which will give him good insight into Cedric Benson, but I would think the 2 Auburn backs would be a higher priority. And one of the DE's like Marcus Spears of Erasmus James would seem a very good selection because of the upside - especially with Spears - and their ability to rush the passer and play the run.

PhiNomina said:
Boomer, thanks for the great info...its great to have someone who is this organized and really knows their s***

Where do you think Anthony Davis will be drafted? He has a lot of injury questions but when healthy he was a stud. What are your thoughts on him?

No worries PhiNomina....glad to help.....good college back, but size, injuries, off field problems and lack of hands out of the backfield would make him too much of a risk. Defenders are now so fast and hit so hard that I cannot ever envisage a day when a 5'7 1/2 TB starts in the NFL. He's a hard runner, he does a nice job of following his blocks and getting down the field, but his size would worry me. And anyone who has been stabbed in a fight and caught punching his girlfriend in the face would REALLY worry me. He sat out a lot of action in 2004 and that is also going to hurt his stock. Late day 2 pickup who would need to prove he can catch consistently and stay injury free. If he can show some hands, he would increase his appeal.

musphinzfan said:
Bommer,if Surtain is to be dealt who would ya rather have Jimmy Williams or Antrel Rolle if Miami where to draft a CB with there 1st round pick??....Or do you have another CB in mind....These are my 2 best CB's.

I'd not take either. Last time I looked I had a very nice looking rookie 4th rounder in Will Poole and a starter on a SB team who isn't suited to the nickel in Reggie Howard. Drafting a corner would thus be a wasted pick.

I have a concern over Rolle's speed, although I think generally he's a heck of a player. I like Webster, the kid at Clemson, and the kid at Michigan Marlin Jackson. There is some talk that Rolle may end up being drafted a bit lower than most people project. We'll see. But with 2 starters playing nickel and dime, drafting a corner would be a wasted pick.

Back
Top Bottom