Ask Boomer | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

sport_fish said:
Do you think Sage will start QB next year or do you think we will focus on a new RB in the first round and a LB in the second round and not worry about a QB until the 3rd or 4th round? I think sage quilifys to start after todays performance although we lost and he had an INT. The INT. was just a lucky play but it happens to all QBs. I think he had A great performance and desevers some notice and has potential next year.

I have no idea what Saban will do. Suffice to say, I think he will re-sign Sage and certainly give him a shot. I think TB has to be a priority, although again, the Lamar Gordon factor......do you mix him with a smaller back like Cadillac or do you say to him, you know, you're our #2 guy and XX is going to carry the load, be that Lamont Jordan, Rudi Johnson or a drafted runner?

I think LB comes well down the pecking order.

I think Sage did OK. I didn't see the game, but I saw the highlights and I have talked to people who did. The pick 6 was a bad throw, plain and simple. But he showed enough to garner a 2nd look.

Predaphin said:
Boomer, Who is the best player coming out of the draft? In other words, who is worth the #1 pick regardless of needs or position.

Pred.....I'm not sure there is a #1 overall player on the board. I just don't see a guy out there that makes me think....WOW. A lot of positions have solid guys - TB, WR, OL, DE, CB, but a number 1 overall guy.....hmmm. I like David Pollack a lot, I think he's a heck of a player. Derrick Johnson is a nice player, but flawed at the next level in terms of his inability to diagnose plays quickly and his inability to work through traffic. Don't get me wrong - great player, but not the finished article some would have you think. Rolle is nice, but there are speed issues and potential positional movement issues. There is a nice class of TB, but backs fall some. LT is nice, but Barron has run blocking issues. G is strong, but a #1 overall G? I suspect Leinart goes 1 because he fits the 49ers perfectly, but who knows.

I can't recall a year like it.

Trekbiz said:
Boomer I'm pretty impressed with the in depth assessment you have given in this thread. Good job.

Any input on Frank Gore from UM?
Rumor is he will declare, what I've heard anyway.
He seems to be a pounding and bruising type of back but every time I watch him I get the feeling he is just missing something. I don't feel he breaks tackles as well as you'd expect out of a power back.

What's your view, would he fit the Phins, what round is he likely to go and sorry if you've already written something on him.

Thanks Trek....

Gore....the knee injuries are the 1st thing that concerns you. Can he stay healthy? He's much bigger and looks to be back to some semblance of the talent we saw, but a blow out on each knee HAS to be a worry. He is on the fence in terms of coming out. He is worried about returning and blowing out a knee again, probably ending his pro shot. But he is enquiring about insurance if that happens. Deep down he'd like to go back, but who knows?

He will never be the same back he was. I think he's a 3rd round risk, but the upside potential is nice. He's not Willis McGahee, but he's not James Jackson either.

MDolphins2003 said:
Hey Boomer,

Would you give the TOP 7 QB's in this years draft. Go ahead and include Aaron Rogers.

The Phins need a QB....I think Feely is a BACKUP at best.

Top 7......sheesh.....

1 - Leinart
2 - Rodgers
3 - Campbell
4 - Smith *
5 - Frye
6 - Anderson
7 - Orlovsky

I have concerns about ALL, especially Smith (*) and Orlovsky. The concern with Smith is that he runs a gimmicky run and shoot shotgun, Can he be an under the center passer in the NFL. Only time will tell. I'm not certain he can, so that is the caveat.

Danny said:
Hey Simon,would you take Edwards at number 2? I know WR is not the biggest need and I for want would like to trade down so we can draft a LT and a RB, but if we don't move down for whatever reason, who would you take over him if anyone? I don't think you use that 2 on a player that should go 10 and we've been burned before by pasing on a better player just to go for a need.The guy's a great playmaker and like JJ used to say, you can never have enough playmakers.

Ozzy rules!!

You know Danny, he HAS to be an option there. He has really come on in 2004 - the concentration levels have improved and in the 2nd half of the season he took over games - Michigan State was one of the great WR performances I have seen in a decade. He was awesome in the Rose Bowl and like you say, he has ALL the tools and is a playmaker. If we have sorted TB and the OL in FA, then yes I would consider it very strongly. He may end up the #1 overall VALUE prospect.

WelcomeBack said:
Boomer,realistically,what are the Phins chances at getting both Jason Campbell and Ronnie Brown?

Unlikely unless we shift down and get 2 1's or an early 2. Campbell won't hang round till the 3rd for sure.

SMadison29 said:
Looks like this one was wrong. Of course Les Miles leaving had a big part to do with that. He needed to declare anyway being that he's 24.

Yeah he changed his mind after Miles jumped for Baton Rouge.

TerryTate said:
Boomer where is Alex smith gonna go in the draft? I apologize if this has been asked before...

No worries Terry. Some people will have him in the 1st, others later. He's different to Philip Rivers in that Rivers was able to showcase himself at the Senior Bowl - Smith won't have that gametime opportunity. And Rivers ran a more conventional offense. Smith's is shotgun and gimmicky - options, flea flickers, etc. Can he work under center, has he got the arm, what is his drop like, etc etc. Some teams will have him as a 1st round project, others won't have him on their board.

An early prediction - Green Bay will take him in the 1st if he's still there. He is too gimicky for Saban though.

Hey Boomer-
Thanks for all your great insight. Your scouting is very impressive. Would you please elaborate a bit on what you said in an earlier post:

"some of the early college games I watched involved tremendous college players like Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross and Clarkston Hines of Duke and Steve Taylor of UCLA. Once I worked out why these great collegians weren't going to be great pros, that was half the battle."

I'm curious what are some of the qualities that you look for to distinguish great college players from great NFL players? I remember a few years back I expected Troy Edwards to become a great pro. He's OK but was incredibly productive as a college WR. Obviously Raghib Ismael and plenty of others never quite made the transition. I know that raw numbers (height, speed etc.) are more important in the NFL. However, there are successful guys in the League that don't have blazing speed (Jerry Rice) or freakish natural athleticism and height (Zach Thomas). So how do you go about analyzing which players will overcome physical inferiority or will be unable to take advantage of physical superiority? And how does that affect your final assesment of who will make it in the League and who is just a great college player?

Boomer said:
No worries Terry. Some people will have him in the 1st, others later. He's different to Philip Rivers in that Rivers was able to showcase himself at the Senior Bowl - Smith won't have that gametime opportunity. And Rivers ran a more conventional offense. Smith's is shotgun and gimmicky - options, flea flickers, etc. Can he work under center, has he got the arm, what is his drop like, etc etc. Some teams will have him as a 1st round project, others won't have him on their board.

An early prediction - Green Bay will take him in the 1st if he's still there. He is too gimicky for Saban though.
Hey Boomer, here are some more info from my editor ... any comments about these guys?

1/4/05
- California quarterback Aaron Rodgers has made up his mind and will enter the NFL draft. Rodgers should battle Matt Leinart to be the #1 overall pick.
- Louisiana Tech running back Ryan Moats will also enter the NFL draft. Moats will likely be selected somewhere from the late second round to the early fourth round.
- Sources report that Clemson cornerback Justin Miller has decided to enter the draft. Miller would jump into the mix to be the first cornerback picked.
- Boston College cornerback Will Blackmon will return to school for his senior year.
- One scout I spoke to told me that he had some real concerns about LSU's Marcus Spears. Stating that "While he's a good fit as a 3-4 end, I don't see where he really fits in a 4-3. He's slower than you'd like at end and not as physical as you'd like at tackle."
- The same scout went on to say "The guy I really like is Anttaj Hawthorne (from Wisconsin). He's steady, he's reliable and he's talented. He's the kind of guy you need to win championships."
- A teammate of his told me that he thinks cornerback Kelly Jennings really wants to leave Miami for the NFL, but the depth of the cornerback class is one of the major things keeping him in school.
1/3/05
- We're being told that Nebraska junior cornerback Fabian Washington will enter the NFL draft.
- Several sources are reporting that USC junior quarterback Matt Leinart has backtracked on his previous comments stating he would return to school (as we reportedly previously) and he will in fact enter the draft where he becomes the favorite to be selected #1 overall by the 49ers.
- If there's any good news to be found from Leinart leaving, this does mean that Tom Malone will return to school.
- Utah's Alex Smith is very close to announcing his intent to enter the draft.
- Arizona State junior wide receiver Derek Hagen has also backed off of his earlier comments stating that we would definitely return to school. He's now seriously considering the jump.
- I've been told by a source close to the Bowling Green program that there's still a chance that Omar Jacobs will leave school for the NFL draft.
- According to a number of scouts, one of the hottest names right now is Hampton wide receiver Jerome Mathis, he's seen his stock rise from being a likely later round pick to being a potential late day 1 pick.
- It's looking more and more like USC's Lofa Tatupu will indeed enter the draft this year.

Gunner4u65 said:
Hey Boomer, here are some more info from my editor ... any comments about these guys?

1/4/05
- California quarterback Aaron Rodgers has made up his mind and will enter the NFL draft. Rodgers should battle Matt Leinart to be the #1 overall pick.
- Louisiana Tech running back Ryan Moats will also enter the NFL draft. Moats will likely be selected somewhere from the late second round to the early fourth round.
- Sources report that Clemson cornerback Justin Miller has decided to enter the draft. Miller would jump into the mix to be the first cornerback picked.
- Boston College cornerback Will Blackmon will return to school for his senior year.
- One scout I spoke to told me that he had some real concerns about LSU's Marcus Spears. Stating that "While he's a good fit as a 3-4 end, I don't see where he really fits in a 4-3. He's slower than you'd like at end and not as physical as you'd like at tackle."
- The same scout went on to say "The guy I really like is Anttaj Hawthorne (from Wisconsin). He's steady, he's reliable and he's talented. He's the kind of guy you need to win championships."
- A teammate of his told me that he thinks cornerback Kelly Jennings really wants to leave Miami for the NFL, but the depth of the cornerback class is one of the major things keeping him in school.
1/3/05
- We're being told that Nebraska junior cornerback Fabian Washington will enter the NFL draft.
- Several sources are reporting that USC junior quarterback Matt Leinart has backtracked on his previous comments stating he would return to school (as we reportedly previously) and he will in fact enter the draft where he becomes the favorite to be selected #1 overall by the 49ers.
- If there's any good news to be found from Leinart leaving, this does mean that Tom Malone will return to school.
- Utah's Alex Smith is very close to announcing his intent to enter the draft.
- Arizona State junior wide receiver Derek Hagen has also backed off of his earlier comments stating that we would definitely return to school. He's now seriously considering the jump.
- I've been told by a source close to the Bowling Green program that there's still a chance that Omar Jacobs will leave school for the NFL draft.
- According to a number of scouts, one of the hottest names right now is Hampton wide receiver Jerome Mathis, he's seen his stock rise from being a likely later round pick to being a potential late day 1 pick.
- It's looking more and more like USC's Lofa Tatupu will indeed enter the draft this year.

Rodgers was likely and I've spoken a lot about him in this thread. Inexperience and height issues are the big concern. He's essentially likely to see most success in a west coast offense.

Moats I covered in the underclassmen section today - he's too small to be an every down back and he won't go on day 1. Miller I also covered...1st rounder. Big play-maker on defense and as a kick return man....2 kicks taken back for 6 vs FSU this past season.

I don't buy that on Spears. You need a run stuffing LDE opposite a pass rushing threat. He's perfect for our system because he can shift inside on obvious passing downs and rush from the T spot.

Steady and reliable are not 2 words I'd use to describe Hawthorne. Inconsistent yes, steady, no.

Blackmon is making absolutely the right decision to stay and refine his cover skills.

Jennings would be stupid to come out. I mentioned him and Parrish and Gore and Campbell thinking about it last week. Jennings would be the most foolish of the lot.

Washington I mentioned today as well - small but buff and very physical. Was the top DB in Florida when he left HS and has improved every year.

Leinart will come out. As will Smith. Hagan should go back.

Jacobs would be making a HUGE mistake. He has talent but he is 4 years away from starting in the NFL. He has mechanical issues, his delivery is flawed at times....a LOT of work.

I've not seen Hampton so I can't comment.

Tatupu is a nice player but could do with the extra year. He's small as well at 5-11 and 228. But with a LB class next year that could contain Daryl Blackstock, AJ Hawk, Pierre Woods, AJ Nicholson, Ernie Sims, Demeco Ryans, Freddie Roach, Odell Thurman, Shawne Merriman, Chad Greenway, Abdul Hodge, Ahmad Brooks, etc, he might be wise to declare.

Boomer said:
Terry, I think he has been working exceptionally hard to turn himself into a high round back. He has good speed, good quicks, excellent feet, the sort of vision that you desire of an NFL runner, the ability to see the cutback lanes develop and bust up into them. You like the way he can run through tackles or go round them and his off field ethic is tremendous. I think he would have been a day 1 pick for sure, although he would have been better advised staying in school and working on his strength and his pass blocking ability. Now he has no option and it will be interesting to see how he comes back.

I personally have no doubt he will come back and be successful. I just feel bad that the guy has had 2 ACL tears in the same knee. That fact alone will drop him a round or two in the draft. Plus, with the injury happening so late, he is likely to miss a good portion of next season. I wish him the best. He certainly deserves it......

WelcomeBack said:
Boomer,supposing Matt Leinart declares and is there at #2,is he too good to pass up on?

I don't know. I truly don't. I taped last nights game and haven't seen it yet. Sounds as though he took to pieces a really good Oklahoma defense. He's cool, calm and has a good arm, he's big and looks so solid in the pocket. I don't know what Saban thinks of Feeley, but he certainly has made himself more of an option for us.

Ok Boomer as always your insights are great, and very much appreciated. Now imagine that you are responsible for the fins draft... after watching the Orange Bowl, and thoroughly evaluating Leinart and Rodgers, what would you do?? Trade down,top rated RB,LT,D-line???
Well guy, let us know what you think would be our best route to take, also hope the little one is not keeping you and mommie too tired!! good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom