Barry Jackson 7/11/13 : Lamar Miller turning heads as Gore mentors | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson 7/11/13 : Lamar Miller turning heads as Gore mentors

Another thing leaning in miller's favor is that most of the teams on our schedule were some of the worst at defending the run last year.

Still not a buyer on his physicality overall, particularly his physicality/vision in short yardage. I'd love to be proven wrong but I still see Felix Jones.

CK I have to agree with you here. I have to buy a lot of the Miller hype as it makes sense to me. You watch him last year and he looks the same as he did in UM. clinton Portis/ E James ish to me. So you have to believe the hype is right. My concern with Miller is the injuries from College. Hopefully he has his body healed and conditioned for the long run. I also HOPE one of the other backs step up their game to give Miller a needed rest. I see him as a 1100 yard 8-10 TD 300yard reieving back.

Exactly my concern as well. He will be talented and he will gain yardage. Will he eliminate mental lapses in the passing game and stay healthy though? That's something I don't know.

This was warm and fuzzy. I cried a little...........

Really, Lamar Miller is working out at Bommarito Performance Systems with a bunch of Drew Rosenhaus's players. He (Drew) is smart enough to make sure "his" players are always at their best. Then he makes more money.

As a history buff of all kinds, I've seen the NFL change as far as off season. (I'm also really old). Years ago a lot of players would simply relax all summer. Then over time you started seeing more team driven off season workouts. In the last several years, we have seen more and more, players going to special off season training facilities. Often though at least in part by being pushed by their agents into it.

In 1963, writer George Plimpton attended preseason training with the Lions. He wrote a book called Paper Lions which was made into a movie (which is not on Pirate Bay :( ). It shows how players would show up overweight and out of shape. Funny read and/or movie.

As fans, our players working out extra is what we want to hear, not that our star DT Billy Bob Jenkins plans on "working himself into shape" during camp.

Still not a buyer on his physicality overall, particularly his physicality/vision in short yardage. I'd love to be proven wrong but I still see Felix Jones.

interesting points...i noticed last year in camp and the preseason up til the finale he was not taking contact well...maybe protecting that shoulder a little and timid of contact...but i didn't really notice any of that in the regular season...

short yardage i think you make a good point...not sure i see a lot of goal line back stuff here so i doubt he'll get many cheap tds..i think he's stouter on his feet and built lower to the ground with better balance that feliz jones though...and he carries close to 220 lbs very well...you wouldn't think he weighs that much looking at him in pads...

On the downside, three words came into my head watching his interview on Finsiders:

BUBBA GUMP SHRIMP

interesting points...i noticed last year in camp and the preseason up til the finale he was not taking contact well...maybe protecting that shoulder a little and timid of contact...but i didn't really notice any of that in the regular season...

short yardage i think you make a good point...not sure i see a lot of goal line back stuff here so i doubt he'll get many cheap tds..i think he's stouter on his feet and built lower to the ground with better balance that feliz jones though...and he carries close to 220 lbs very well...you wouldn't think he weighs that much looking at him in pads...

But he's not very physical and he's shown a tendency to get injured, which means it's not really helping him. Weight is only a means to an end. It should help you be more physical, but if you're not physical at the weight then the weight isn't really doing anything for you. Look at Daniel Thomas, who's the opposite of physical despite being 230 pounds. If anything the extra weight could be stopping you from being more explosive and making more people miss.

Some guys are just physical and some aren't, which is why the Felix Jones comparison fits so well for me with Miller. They're the same size and speed and have a similar style. Jones has proven to be a train wreck from a injury perspective but as a rookie he averaged nine yards a carry on 30 carries and 5.9 yards per carry in his second year on 116 carries.

The shoulder thing in particular isn't what concerns me. I mean, how many running backs suffer from long term shoulder issues? I can't think of one. Ankle/knee issues like what Jonathan Stewart is going through is much more specifically concerning. What I'm more worried about is it always being something. He's not naturally physical which means he's always going to be absorbing the blow.

But he's not very physical and he's shown a tendency to get injured, which means it's not really helping him. Weight is only a means to an end. It should help you be more physical, but if you're not physical at the weight then the weight isn't really doing anything for you. Look at Daniel Thomas, who's the opposite of physical despite being 230 pounds. If anything the extra weight could be stopping you from being more explosive and making more people miss.

Some guys are just physical and some aren't, which is why the Felix Jones comparison fits so well for me with Miller. They're the same size and speed and have a similar style. Jones has proven to be a train wreck from a injury perspective but as a rookie he averaged nine yards a carry on 30 carries and 5.9 yards per carry in his second year on 116 carries.

The shoulder thing in particular isn't what concerns me. I mean, how many running backs suffer from long term shoulder issues? I can't think of one. Ankle/knee issues like what Jonathan Stewart is going through is much more specifically concerning. What I'm more worried about is it always being something. He's not naturally physical which means he's always going to be absorbing the blow.

i think the weight and being low to the ground matters for a couple reasons...you give the opposition less to hit and to target and don't get blown up as much unlike daniel thomas for instance and it helps with guys not being able to just arm tackle you etc...miller will run through arm tackles and shed guys that come in high well given how he's built and the balance he shows...

but i do get the not naturally physical stuff and think it's a valid point and a hard one to argue against... still i like his body for contact on the inside more than i did reggie bush's...everytime reggie ran all i kept waiting for is him limping off the field...doesn't have the body for inside running

In regard to him being physical, he runs with good pad level, tends to fall forward, and he breaks arm tackles. For a guy with good vision, who looks to get up field, and is downright explosive once he puts his foot in the ground (which he does MUCH sooner than Bush), I think that's plenty. Health, holding on to the ball, and his non-running responsibilities (pass blocking, grasping his assignments) are the only concerns I have for Miller.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Not to say that those concerns are insignificant.

I know the English language has changed in the last several years. (personally I hate made up words). Especially words made up and influenced by rap music.

I seem to be hearing this term physicality quite often from players and now I have heard it from the media.

Is Physicality actually a word? Really?

BTW. I also expect big things from Lamar Miller. He was great Cane and hopefully becomes a great Dolphin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know the English language has changed in the last several years. (personally I hate made up words). Especially words made up and influenced by rap music.

I seem to be hearing this term physicality quite often from players and now I have heard it from the media.

Is Physicality actually a word? Really?

BTW. I also expect big things from Lamar Miller. He was great Cane and hopefully becomes a great Dolphin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physicality

Back
Top Bottom